White Screen from rain damage

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Glane88

Hello there.
Just today I was outside and had my iPod Touch in my pocket while walking somewhere in the rain.
At some point, unbeknownst to me, my iPod fell from my pocket and onto the street. I never realized it, and walked away.
When I got to my destination I realized my ipod was gone and rushed to retrace my steps and find it.
My friend found it about 15 minutes later, laying face down in the direct middle of the road (on the double yellow lines). He claimed he found it lying face down.

There were some good scratches on the rubber case that surrounded the back, but no damages to the screen. It may or may not have been struck by any vehicles..the scratches on the case seem to go in a vertical fashion, and I'm not sure the fall was quite enough to do something like that. I did, however, get the white screen of death.

I quickly went to a supermarket to buy rice, and that's where my ipod is now: covered in a bag of rice in a ziplock bag.

I'm hoping this solves the problem, but if it doesn't, are there any solutions outside of buying a new one? I've had it for less than a year, so it should still be on warranty. I've also tried holding the home button and power button to no avail. I figured I would try that again after it sits in the rice for about a day.

Thank you in advance for the help.

EDIT: I posted this in Touch Discussion because I was unaware there was a hardware forum/space for this kind of problem. I only saw it after I registered. Please excuse my error.

Head_Crab

Website
www.blackmesaresearchfacility.com
Probably need to wait to see how it responds after you get it out of the rice. I don't know if Apple will replace it if the water detector has been activated. If not, and everything else works but the screen, you may be able to replace the LCD and be good to go.

My 2G touch fell into a sink of water and I put it into a box of rice for about 3 days and when I got it back out, everything worked but the screen. I replaced the screen and haven't had any troubles since.

HC

kornchild2002

Putting it in an airtight bag filled with dry rice was smart but you should have left it off. People always mistakenly try to turn their iPods on right after they get wet. You don't want to do that. In fact, you want to keep the iPod in the airtight container with rice for at least two weeks before attempting to turn the iPod on. That will help ensure that any circuitry does not get damaged by having electricity flow through it while wet.

Apple won't touch your iPod though, they do not cover user damage and they can tell when iPods get wet. Accident or not, getting an iPod wet is user damage and is not covered under Apple's warranty. You would have to rely on a third part repair service which can cost quite a bit if you have to replace the logic board, display, and pay for the installation of said parts. The costs would be so high that you might as well just buy a new 4G iPod touch.

joshmueca

Banned
Perhaps it will work once you get it out from rice bag. In case it won't you can try your luck with apple store not telling them about water damage. Sometimes they replace ;)