what is best wireless router to buy?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

George1984

Your best bet is get a router that supports DD-WRT or Tomato firmwares.
These firmwares make your router like 100 times better.

I have a Asus WL-500G Premium with Tomato firmware on it and it good for me but it's wireless coverage isn't that strong.

Head on over to the DD-WRT or Linksysinfo forums and ask there thats your best bet.

DerekVOF

I'm actually using an old Microsoft (gasp!) MN-700 wireless router which works just fine. I'm also using my iMac using Internet Sharing since it actually gets better range than my router...

darthxsidious

So I'm out of touch, with the iPod Touch, and have a question. To get online features for the Touch, do you need a wireless router or to be in a WIFI hot spot? I'm literally on the verge of making a purchase, and that's pretty much the only question I have. And when I say on the verge, I mean just a click away :D

DerekVOF

Yup - the iPod Touch needs wireless for Internet access. All you can really do over a wired connection (which is USB by the way) is connect & transfer files with iTunes.

Sparkee

Just go to your local electronics store and pick up what ever brand name they have on sale (Linksys, D-Link, ect...). Just get one that has basic 802.11b/g, supports WPA encryption and has no "speed booster" enhanced speed. I picked up my D-Link DI-524 a couple of years ago, after the sales price and rebate it was almost free.

daihard

Vtwin said:
D-Link 655 (DIR 655)
If you live in the Seattle area, I'd be happy to give you my wireless router (Linksys WRT54G) if you can stop over. I know it works with iPod touch. :)

danta8293

daihard said:
If you live in the Seattle area, I'd be happy to give you my wireless router (Linksys WRT54G) if you can stop over. I know it works with iPod touch. :)
dammit....im in long island lol

daihard

danta8293 said:
dammit....im in long island lol
A long ways from here, huh. :)

Do you happen to work for Computer Associates? They have a huge corporate office in Islandia... :)

darthxsidious

So I have two connections on two computers. The computer I use has a wireless connection. If I get the WRT54GS, would this hook up to the main computer that has the PC to Wall connection?

And btw.. I LOVE MY IPOD TOUCH!!!!!

George1984

Your main wired computer would hook up to the router and then the router hooks up to the wall connection.
If you can find a WRT54GS version 4 or older then get it but if it's a later version then don't because thy are not as good. If I was you I would just get a WRT54GL.

darthxsidious

George1984 said:
Your main wired computer would hook up to the router and then the router hooks up to the wall connection.
If you can find a WRT54GS version 4 or older then get it but if it's a later version then don't because thy are not as good. If I was you I would just get a WRT54GL.
Cool, got it.

I don't think it says what version this one is: http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Linksys-802-11g-Wireless-Router-with-SpeedBooster-WRT54GS/sem/rpsm/oid/90854/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do But I was looking to purchase it.

electrozoid

Apple Pie Eater
darthxsidious, listen to what George1984 said:

George1984 said:
Your best bet is get a router that supports DD-WRT or Tomato firmwares.
These firmwares make your router like 100 times better.
An awesome combination is the WRT54GL with DD-WRT. Notice that I've bolded the "L" which stands for Linux. That means that it can receive the fantastic DD-WRT firmware.

Don't get that GS, you're going to miss out on some serious router power! You've been warned. :)