• This is not the place to tout your latest must have app. It will be viewed as spam if you do post a link to your application or any "hey this app is awesome" shill style posts and your post will be removed and you may be banned.

If you wish to submit an application for inclusion on the iLounge.com main site please do so by sending an email to [email protected]

Using Apple Maps without data connection

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

LoungeRat

I've recently purchased an iPhone SE and have started expermienting with turn-by-turn navigation. I've read that you can avoid using up your data plan if you chart out you trip ahead of time. The route information apparently stays in memory.

Does anyone know how you would have to chart out the route in order to capture sufficient details in memory for turn-by-turn navigation? It seems to me that the latter requires quite a bit of map detail. Would you need to (for example) pan through the whole route at a particular zoom level?

I'm not sure if it really matters, but I'm using voice navigation.

cjmnews

Staff member
You CANNOT have turn by turn without data.

From my experience, you can have a map open before you start, and if you follow it, your dot will move along the route (without data) as GPS is all you need to see yourself on the map, and since you had the route open, you can see where you are on that route. This assumes you keep the maps app open and don't kill it.

With Google Maps you can save the map (not directions) of an area. Without data you can search for locations on the map, and you can see your dot on the map. Plan your own route based on the roads you see. I navigated Amsterdam walking this way for 4 days. It was slow, error prone, but I made it to several sights and to a customer dinner with this method.

FairSupermarket

data

I don't think maps really uses that much data.? It's app updates and the OS that probably use the most data, I would think maps uses a tiny amount in comparison.

LoungeRat

You might be right. I'm not sure how to track an app's data usage. I can't recall exactly, but Android's CyanogenMod variant may have been able to track on a per-app basis, but I now use the iPhone -- specifically I want to minimize installation of apps, and iOS has most of the functionality that I need.