Sync a ringtone to iPhone without losing library

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

HarryJS

I have made a ringtone in iTunes on my Mac but when I try to sync it to my iPhone 4s I get a warning that doing this will erase all music, tones etc. from the phone. I had to build a new library last week so it's different from the original that the music came from.

Is it possible to import the ringtone by any other method? I have emailed it to myself but don't know how to get it into the ringtones.

cjmnews

Staff member
The best way is to restore a copy of the original library. That is the only way to eliminate the need to erase and sync.

Holding Command+Option while connecting the iPhone will allow the iPhone to appear in iTunes without attempting a Sync on the Mac (Ctrl-Shift for Windows).

Click on your iPhone in iTunes, and try to check "Manually Manage Music and Videos" then click Apply. If that does not require you to erase and sync, then you should be in manual mode. Now you should be able to drag the ringtone from Finder and drop it onto your iPhone in iTunes and it should install the ringtone.

Eventually you will need to sync again or restore. When that happens, EVERYTHING that is on your iPhone will be lost. I highly suggest backing up to iCloud, invest in software to get your music off of your iPhone (skip this step if you already have it on your Mac) and go through the erase and sync to make your phone and library be married again. Then you can restore from the iCloud after the erase, and then migrate your backup to the Mac for future syncing.