Stereo inputs - what do I need?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Island Roots

I have this JVC home stereo system. On the back, it has "AUX IN" with a R (right) and L (left) input.

What kind of cord would I need to connect my new 15GB iPod to my JVC stereo? Also, what kind of quality should I expect?

Kenny

Super Man
You just need your standard RCA audio cable. (it has one end which will connect to your dock, and two ends to connect to the right and left audio inputs on your stereo).

As for audio quality, it will completely depend on the source. Overall, it isnt bad, but you still have to remember that it's analog... digital would of been nice, but with a good mp3 recording, there isnt much of a difference.

Island Roots

So now it looks like I'll have to buy another dock as well, since my stereo is on the other side of the room to my iBook (which is where the included dock will be).

Kenny

Super Man
Justin Hancock said:
So now it looks like I'll have to buy another dock as well, since my stereo is on the other side of the room to my iBook (which is where the included dock will be).
Not necessarily. You could just just keep the original dock by your stereo, and disconnect the firewire cable whenever you need to connect it to your computer.

Or, you could just buy another cable (it's cheaper than the dock), so that you have one for your computer, and one connected to the dock.

Kenny

Super Man
As long as it doesnt cause the iPod to shake and move around too much, it should be fine.

I just wouldnt put the iPod on the sub.

Island Roots

Kenny said:
As long as it doesnt cause the iPod to shake and move around too much, it should be fine.

I just wouldnt put the iPod on the sub.
Doesn't the subwoofer create problems with HDDs due to the magnetic force they put out?

Kirk

Website
home.socal.rr.com
Yes, magnetic fields can affect your iPod's hard drive. It doesn't matter what the source of the magnetism is. Electromagnets or permanent magnets can do equal amounts of damage. What is important is the field strength of the magnet and the distance from your iPod.

Since no one outside a lab has the equipment to measure the field strength (and I've not seen posted on Apple's site what field strength numbers might affect the iPod), you're best bet is to keep speakers, fridge magnets and the like as far away from your iPod as feasible.

You should know that the field strength drops off quickly with increasing distance. Its proportional to the inverse square of the distance. So moving your iPod an additional small distance further away from your speakers will make a significant difference.

If you have a particular spot near your subwoofer that you just have to have your iPod sitting at, you could shield your subwoofer. Go get some sheet steel (cheap rusty carbon steel works best for this, don't use stainless) and bend it into a box around your subwoofer. Use screws to connect any cut pieces, i.e. guarantee electrical contact between the pieces. Run a wire to ground from the box and you'll complete the shield.

OTOH, if you're unlucky and you guessed wrong on distance from a magnet, i.e. iPod's HD is adversely affected, don't worry too much. Hook it up to your computer, reformat the drive and reinstall the iPod OS and all your tunes. It will work once again.

Last edited:

Ben Lovejoy

Website
www.benlovejoy.com
A long cable is probably a better solution

My hifi system is on the car side of the room, so I'll just be using a long cable tacked to the skirting-board.

Ben

Island Roots

I just saw the cable I'll need...6' cable for 5 bucks! ;)

My iPod will probably be about a 3-4 feet away from my subwoofer, which won't be pointed directly at my iPod...is that reasonable?

Island Roots

Now I have another question...I have the possiblity of running a longer RCA cable all the way around my room.

Are there such extenders (it'd need to be 20-30 feet)? Also, will I lose quality if I extend if such a distance?