Questions about switching from AudibleManager to iTunes

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

dvdmon

Website
twelveblackcodemonkeys.blog-city.com
Hi, thanks for the great resource! I have a 30GB iPod that I bought a couple months ago. I've been an audible subscriber for many years and using the iPod with Audible is great. Now that iTunes is available, I've been thinking about installing it, but then I saw the info on Audible's site that you couldn't use AM anymore with Audible files. It was good to get some clarification here that this was really just that you can't transfer audible files to the iPod using AM after you have iTunes, but you still download files with AM. Here's my question: AM has some features which I have no idea if there are similar ones in iTunes since I haven't tried it yet and the one that would be the most important to me is how it manages transfers. You have your inbox and you can also create other folders. I keep the books I haven't listened to yet in my inbox and have a seperate folder for stuff I have read. When you want to transfer something it's a fairly manual process. In MusicMatch, as soon as something is in your library, or you create a playlist it goes ont to iPod automatically if you hit the synch button. Whereas AM you have to tell it specifically what you want to put on the iPod. Does iTunes have a similar way of keeping track of all your audible files and can you actually organize those files into different folders? Will it try to put all my audible files on my iPod, or just the ones that I select? In other words can I use iTunes to manage my audible files AND transfer them to the iPod and just use AM to download, or do I still need to use AM to manage audible files? Also, when I download files in AM, will I then have to manually import them into iTunes or is it more seamless? Thanks so much for any help - I would rather not install iTunes if it means making the process of downloading, managing and listening to audiobooks much more of a hassle - since this is what I use my iPod for most, believe it or not! :)

Podunk

The short answer is:

First, you manually import them into iTunes.

Then you can use iTunes to manage, sort, create playlists, create smartlists and transfer them, individually or by playlist, or by auto synch.

I switched and I love it, especially after you really learn how to take advantage of iTunes. (pretty much the same applies for MC9).

I plan to do a full writeup on switching from AM to iTunes (or MC9)
and how best to utilize these programs for Audible. It'll probably be a couple weeks though so by then, you'll probably have it all figured out! :)

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
You would be able to make smart playlists to organize your different audible files.

You could have two smart playlists...

if kind contains audible and playcount is 0 would get all of your nonlistened to files

if kind contains audible and playcount is greater than 0 would get files that have been listed to.

You could work out other ways to do this two. You could make static playlists and drag drop as you want. Playlists could act as "pseudo" folders.

If you select transfer only checkmarked songs you could uncheck songs that you don't want to transfer to the iPod.

Cheers,
Stu

robert

Retired
parannoya said:
The short answer is:

First, you manually import them into iTunes.

Then you can use iTunes to manage, sort, create playlists, create smartlists and transfer them, individually or by playlist, or by auto synch.

I switched and I love it, especially after you really learn how to take advantage of iTunes. (pretty much the same applies for MC9).

I plan to do a full writeup on switching from AM to iTunes (or MC9)
and how best to utilize these programs for Audible. It'll probably be a couple weeks though so by then, you'll probably have it all figured out! :)
When, friend. We need help now. *S* We don't even know how to synch, create playlists, smartlists, transfer, etc on iTunes.
HELP, pleaaaaaaaase.

Podunk

Robert,

I updated the manual with a link to the iTunes support page.

It has tutorials on how to use iTunes. It tells you how to snch, transfer, make playlists and smartlists. Using Audible is just like using iTunes with other files.

If you go through the Apple tutorial, it should be better than anthing I can write. :)