Question about the iPod Touch January Software upgrade

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

AhrenBa

Hey guys,

I am looking at buying the January Software upgrade for the iPod touch. I have a couple questions though.

1. Is this a firmware upgrade, or what is it? The reason I ask is because if I were to do a reset of the iPod, would it have the upgrade still on it?

2. How does it work if I sell the iPod somewhere down the line, and the buyer obviously uses a different iTunes account than I bought the upgrade with...

Thanks.

PG4G

Ok...

Question 1:
A) It is part of Firmware / Software Update 1.1.3 that is locked until you buy the key from the iTunes Store.

B) If you reset all settings, the update is still there. If you wipe the iPod completely using the "Erase All Content And Settings" then the upgrade is wiped. If you sync back to the iTunes you originally bought the upgrade on, you will have the apps synced again.

Problem here... If you have to reinstall windows, and download iTunes again, you lose the upgrade on your computer. Your iPod will still have the update even after syncing with the new iTunes, however, if you use that erase all content & setting at that time, you can't get it back.

2) If you sell your iPod, and the buyer syncs with their iTunes, the upgrade stays, but they have no way to get it back if they Erase it.

AhrenBa

PG4G said:
Ok...

Question 1:
A) It is part of Firmware / Software Update 1.1.3 that is locked until you buy the key from the iTunes Store.

B) If you reset all settings, the update is still there. If you wipe the iPod completely using the "Erase All Content And Settings" then the upgrade is wiped. If you sync back to the iTunes you originally bought the upgrade on, you will have the apps synced again.

Problem here... If you have to reinstall windows, and download iTunes again, you lose the upgrade on your computer. Your iPod will still have the update even after syncing with the new iTunes, however, if you use that erase all content & setting at that time, you can't get it back.

2) If you sell your iPod, and the buyer syncs with their iTunes, the upgrade stays, but they have no way to get it back if they Erase it.
Thanks for the reply. How does this work for people that buy one of the new iPod touch's that have the Jan. update already on them (when they wipe the ipod I mean).

Another question, won't iTunes keep a record that you downloaded it, and then won't you just be able to download it again if you reinstall windows?

PG4G

iTunes store will keep a record that you have bought it, however, you cannot download it again. It will tell you to go to your "usual computer" to sync it. It won't even let you buy it again with the same account.

I had this problem, and told the apple service line what I thought of them because of their system. It's stupid.

The reason they won't let you download it again: if you download it onto a computer, you can upgrade ANY touch. Therefore, if you can download the upgrade for nothing to what the iTunes program thinks is a different computer, you will be allowing, possibly, lots of Touches to get upgrades for just the price of one.

Thats a fair reason not to do that. They should however allow you to download to a computer with the same serial number, and this is what I complained about. They are overprotecting and consumers are losing out.

As for the new iPod touches, I assume that restoring all settings will keep the apps there, as they have a slightly different build of 1.1.3 installed, without the requirement of a key. I wouldn't test it though! You may just end up with a $20 bill cos of it.

AhrenBa

PG4G said:
iTunes store will keep a record that you have bought it, however, you cannot download it again. It will tell you to go to your "usual computer" to sync it. It won't even let you buy it again with the same account.

I had this problem, and told the apple service line what I thought of them because of their system. It's stupid.

The reason they won't let you download it again: if you download it onto a computer, you can upgrade ANY touch. Therefore, if you can download the upgrade for nothing to what the iTunes program thinks is a different computer, you will be allowing, possibly, lots of Touches to get upgrades for just the price of one.

Thats a fair reason not to do that. They should however allow you to download to a computer with the same serial number, and this is what I complained about. They are overprotecting and consumers are losing out.

As for the new iPod touches, I assume that restoring all settings will keep the apps there, as they have a slightly different build of 1.1.3 installed, without the requirement of a key. I wouldn't test it though! You may just end up with a $20 bill cos of it.
Ok. I just found this on another forum:
The iPod touch January Software Upgrade can only be synced to iPod touch from the primary iTunes library. If the user is manually managing music and video on iPod, this is the computer where they first set up the iPod or first set it up after restoring the iPod. The "iPod touch App Pack 4A93.ipa" file can be copied from the computer where you purchased it to your primary iTunes library computer, and sync the iPod from there.

The file is located here:

Mac OS X:
~/Library/iTunes/Mobile Applications

Windows XP
C:\Documents and Settingsuser name\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\Mobile Applications\

Windows Vista:
C:\Usersuser name\AppData\Roaming
Apple Computer\iTunes\Mobile Applications\

Note: These locations are hidden by default in Windows. You can these locations by choosing "Show hidden files and folder" in the View tab of the Folder Options Control Panel.

Once you have copied the "iPod touch App Pack 4A93.ipa" file to the computer with your home library, make a new folder named Mobile Applications in the correct location, and place the "iPod touch App Pack 4A93.ipa" file there. Open iTunes and sync your iPod touch.

Make sure those files are backed up - best to back up ALL data, but this is the answer to your question.

Which means as long as you have that little file it will unlock the 1.1.3 firmware update which contains the apps.

So, it looks like that is where the app file is stored. Do you think that this is transferable?