Old old classic not charging

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

freddyuk

My very old 20g classic has suddenly stopped charging. It has the original battery. I bought a spare battery many years ago but never used it!
Today I had the battery charging symbol which was static ie not scrolling so not charging. I also get a battery logo with an ! over it which is new. I can also get the apple logo but nothing else. Any ideas please? Has the battery finally given up? Or is it just stuck. I can here the Hard Drive clicking then stopping as it tries to fire up.

DR650SE

Battery is probably dead. I'd swap it out with the one you bought as a spare and start there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

skins247

yep...most likely dead....be very careful of the headphone jack connection when installing the battery....I also would not try to "pull" the battery connector from the battery port on the board....it may pull right off the board...I use a small flat head and just twist a little from side to side to get it going...doesn't matter if its a 3rd or 4th gen...same principle...there is a small crease (opposite the bottom) you can fit your edge in to start working it out....

Attachments

freddyuk

Thanks so much. What concerns me is the battery was bought some years ago so it too may be getting past it?I have changed Iphone batteries so have a little experience of Apple's little tricks.! Getting the case apart is going to be interesting. I would hate to lose the Ipod as it has been fantastic.
Tally ho!

Scoot65

Within the last few weeks I too have replaced the battery in my 2nd Gen 20gb ipod.
I bought the battery off that well known auction site for less than £8.00 You'll need to separate the front and rear iPod case by using a thin plastic tool or anything that is flat and thin (a credit card or similar can also be used).

I've found that replacement batteries can be slightly thicker than the original which can cause them to push down onto the HD when the iPod is closed. On my last battery swap, I removed the thin rubber buffer which sits between the HD and the battery to give a little space.

freddyuk

Battery was successfully replaced without any problem which was surprising. It was working great and had excellent battery life but after leaving in my car for a while it is now dead and I cannot wake it up. Connected to mains charger but nothing - zip.?