Mail app always opens into an inbox, not list view?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

viper69

I cannot figure this out. I have a few inboxes all from the same ISP.

When I open my Apple mail app on my phone Xs max, iOS 12.0, lately it’s opening directly into one of the inboxes. It used to open into list view, so I could see which inboxes have mail.

Note- mail doesn’t open into an email, just an inbox.

How do I fix this?

Thanks in advance

cjmnews

Staff member
You would have to remember to go back up to the Mailboxes level every time you are done reading email.

There is no setting to make Mailboxes as the default opening area. It generally opens in the same email/inbox/level you were in before.

So, when done with your current email, tap the button in the upper left until you read Mailboxes and that will give you the view you want when you open email the next time.

viper69

You would have to remember to go back up to the Mailboxes level every time you are done reading email.

There is no setting to make Mailboxes as the default opening area. It generally opens in the same email/inbox/level you were in before.

So, when done with your current email, tap the button in the upper left until you read Mailboxes and that will give you the view you want when you open email the next time.

Thanks CJ, I thought so too, but that doesn’t fix it.

cjmnews

Staff member
What do you see in the Maiboxes level?

On the iPhone Xs I have access to, I see both email addresses, each with separate counts of new email.

viper69

Hi CJ

In list view, I see all 3 mailboxes, with a number indicating amount of emails.

I can’t figure out why it won’t default to mail list view.

I know this is a comstantly asked question on the net. But with each iOS or phone, some things do change.

Never had this problem with X or 5s like I do now.

It seems random, but I “know” it isn’t.

cjmnews

Staff member
So you are looking for the All Inboxes view? Where all the mail is in 1 inbox?

In the Mailboxes view, tap on edit, then put a check next to All Inboxes then tap Done.

viper69

Hi CJ

No, I’ve seen that view. Would be too confusing.

Whenever I open the mail app after force closing it with a swipe. It doesn’t want to open in the list view where you see all inboxes simultaneously.

This happens even if I leave the inbox and go to list view before force closing the app.

Some things Apple does great, but other things are just executed poorly. This is one.

The strange thing is I used to be able to see all the inboxes at once in iOS 12. One day recently I was using the mail app, and this all changed.

From playing around with it now, the mail app once closed, will open up into the last inbox I was viewing, rather was inside. Even if I don’t actually compose a message or open one.

This link below should you.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/8lKrL3Y3JGI/maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

cjmnews

Staff member
This looks like the Mailboxes view I was describing earlier. How is this different?

Are you missing the view of the inbox for all the accounts? Tap the Edit button in the top right to put check marks next to what you want to see.

I realize that the Mail app does not open after being killed into this view. Is that what you are looking for?

viper69

Im not missing the view.
My point is whenever I close the app and then open it, the mail app goes into one of the inboxes. It doesn’t go to the list view that I showed above in my post.

I’d like to know why it stopped going to list view...