Lost pictures in ipod touch 2G

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

upmysleeves

I'm having a bit of a probleme here and I need some help!

First off, the hard drive of my Macbook went dead, and all it's files were lost. I had a new hard drive installed and reinstalled Snow Leopard. I wasn't too worried because all my important music and pictures were on my Touch.

Now, me being an idiot, I thought that Syncing went both ways. I thought I could just 'sync' back what was in my ipod into my itunes folder. For some reason, I opened up itunes, I went to images and clicked sync. I clicked ok on the message (I know I know without reading), and suddenly, all my pictures were gone on my ipod. It obviously took the pictures on my Mac, which were Zero, and made the 'sync'.

What I'm looking for is any ideas on how to get those pictures back. I know they're still in the ipod, technically. I've seen a few programs around wich allow me to get the images back, but they don't work for Ipod touch because the ipod isn't seen as a drive.

So my question is if I jailbreak the ipod, will the recovery programs (stellar phoenix, Touch copy etc.) be able to see the pictures?

Also what does recovery mode do, will that help any?

Thanks in advance for your time, and please don't waste posts saying I should've backed my files up, I know I should've, now lets move past that and try to find a solution!!

Sparkee

I think you just learned a valuable lesson on why you need to backup your files. Never consider an iPod a part of your backup scheme. To start with iTunes does not transfer a copy of the full resolution photos on your computer, just a lower resolution version that looks good on it's smaller display.

I'm not 100% sure of how the solid state memory works on these devices to be used for file recovery. But I do know the more you modify it such as Jailbreaking it will lessen your chance of revovering the files since their space has been opened up to be written to again.

I have used PC Inspector's software in the past for Windows to recover files from hard drives and SD memory cards. Not sure what's out there for Mac's though.

Do yourself a favor and get an external USB or firewire drive to back up your files. All Mac's have Time Machine that makes file back ups an no brainer. On top of that I use Carbon Copy Cloner to create another back up on a different drive as well as making a bootable back up image on a firewire drive before major system updates just in case.