Kloss Model One

djducat

Anyone out there have ipod experience with this unit?

http://www.tivoliaudio.com/pm1cla.htm

I am looking for a simple, elegant, small radio for the bedroom, and I really like the retro look of this thing. It's got an AUX port for the iPod (or whatever).

anyone have one of these things? The reviews I read are all great, including user reviews. for cnet user reviews, take a look at

http://electronics.cnet.com/electronics/0-6342376-1318-6923180.html?tag=dir

seems like an interesting unit for $100.00.

thenightfly42

My dad had one 20 years ago, that was probably even older than that. The sound was very impressive. The only disadvantage: it's not stereo.

djducat

the argument I've seen regarding the non-stereo is that most small stereo radios do not have good enough speaker separation to create true stereo sound, so that you could not really tell the difference.

I'm gonna go down to sound track this evening with the ipod and give it a try.

Dan

djducat

thenightfly42 said:
My dad had one 20 years ago, that was probably even older than that. The sound was very impressive. The only disadvantage: it's not stereo.
If that unit is still around, it is probably worth something. They are quite rare, from what I understand.

centech

Its worth noting that there is a stereo model. Its the model two. Its basically a second unit with just the speaker and none of the controls paired with one of the original model ones.

djducat

For anyone that is interested, I took my iPod into Sound Track last night and plugged it into the unit (model 1). It sounded really nice! Not window shaking volume, but for a nice, elegant bedroom solution that is ipod compatible, it seems like a nice setup. I'm no audiophile, but it did not sound cheap!

I also looked at the model2. It costs $150 (instead of $100), but it has the second speaker, as well as optional inputs for a CD player and a subwoofer (in the same style).

One other nice thing about the model 2 is that the aux port is on a switch on the front (aux). On the model 1, plugging into the aux port actvates it.

This is going on the Fathers day wish list!

gameon

kloss pal

hi,

long time lurker, first post, so please be kind!

can't comment on the kloss one and two with ipods (although i can say they sound awesome for radio), but have just got the kloss pal (a portable version of the kloss model one with a rechargable battery and funky red rubber casing) and it sounds brilliant using the line out of my new ipod

i know it's only one speaker but it sounds more 'hi-fi' than my hi-fi! it's way better than the other 'portable systems' with line in i've tried (a few sony's portables with mini-disc line ins), plus it really is a portable size as there is no cd/tape drives.

on top of that the radio quality is stunning - now just need to go on hols or get some good weather so can sit at the bottom of the garden with my new toys :)

chris

djducat

Ah, I was looking at the PAL too. Interesting idea. I've dropped big hints to my wife for the Model 1 for fathers day. Perhaps if tat goes well, I'll get a PAL for Christmas!