is iCleaner any better than Brasso?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

LoveTheBomb

rochester most of the time, philly for the summer
Website
blogs.bwerp.net
I'm selling my iPod and I want it to look like new. I've kept it in an xtreme case for a long time and the pastic window has been smudging the pastic cover of my iPod.

So anyway, I tried brasso, and it helped out a little, but there are still some stubborn smudges that it wont get out. I was wondering if iCleaner from http://www.ipodcleaner.com would work better, or if there's anything else i might use (I'll be selling my iPod in a week and I'm afraid the iCleaner wont get here in time).

So, any thoughts?

-Matt

EdinLA43

I wouldn't use Brasso on the clear window. Brasso is a metal cleaner and may have chemicals in it that could cloud the clear plastic. I just ordered some iCleaner so we'll see how well it works once it gets here...........

Kenny

Super Man
I havent used iCleaner, but I have used Brasso.

Brasso works well on the front, and as many will tell you, it's perfectly safe if you use it carefully.
However my vote goes to Novus Polish #2, -works like a charm.

hype

Kenny said:
I havent used iCleaner, but I have used Brasso.

Brasso works well on the front, and as many will tell you, it's perfectly safe if you use it carefully.
However my vote goes to Novus Polish #2, -works like a charm.
What do you mean by use it carefully?
Use tiny amounts? or dont rub that hard?

Thanks.

Kenny

Super Man
When using brasso, you really need to take your time. I usually press hard, cause if you press to lightly you get a 'cloud' effect (which can be removed with some more brasso or water).
Just take your time, and work with small amounts.

And the only place where I was able to find Novus was on ebay. But I live in Canada so that limits the places where I can find though. I assume that in the US you should be able to find it in various hardware stores.

sandeep

Website
northcaf.com
I've actually found that using Brasso has left swirl scratches on the front of the ipod (it's one of the newer ones). It's similar to the swirls you'd see on a polished car in the sun.

You can only see them when a light is shining off of it, but they're definitley there (and in mass amounts too).

If anyone does happen to get a hold of that icleaner and uses it, please report back on the forum, as i'm sure there' plenty of people, myself included, who would buy it in a second if it did the trick.

mongoos150

Keep in mind I have not had any hands on experience with either, but I have heard iCleaner is pretty much worthless, just your run of the mill cleaner.

I*heart*iPods

mongoos150 said:
Keep in mind I have not had any hands on experience with either, but I have heard iCleaner is pretty much worthless, just your run of the mill cleaner.
I've used iCleaner, and I found it actually works pretty well. But you need to follow the instructions carefully: less is more, polishing is key, repetition is necessary. I had a large number of scratches, and I eliminated most of them after about an hour of work. I think if I kept working, I could probably get the remaining scratches.

Has anyone tried iCleaner Pro? I'd like to find something that works on the back.

sandeep

Website
northcaf.com
when you say icleaner works, are you referring to bigger scratches, or faint scratches within the plastic?

Brasso did manage to cover up one bigger scuff mark on the front of the ipod, but left behind smaller swirl scratches on the surface that can only be seen in direct lighting.

i now have my ipod covered in about 4 of those PDA screen protectors, until i can get my hands on polish that works, and a case.

I*heart*iPods

I found the difference was noticeable (also works on iBooks, btw).

It's difficult to quantify, but if you'd divide scratches into light, medium, and deep, I'd say it got the light scratches after a few applications, and most of the medium scratches after about an hour of work. I would imagine that if I spent a good deal more time, I might be able to get the rest. I just don't care that much.

It's a very lightly abrasive polish, so if you understand how polish works (you're essentially wearing down the plastic), you can get an idea of how iCleaner works.

According to the site, iCleaner Pro is a more abrasive (and more toxic) polish. That is, it wears down the plastic more quickly, but leaves marks and what-not behind. That's why you need to follow up with the regular iCleaner. I hope to get my hands on some of the Pro stuff to try it out.

Think of these polishes as sandpaper. You start out with a lower (larger) grit to do the hard work, then you use a finer grit to get a smooth finish. Sure, you could do everything with your finer grit sandpaper, but it would take forever and use up a ton of sandpaper.

The iCleaner is like your finer grit sandpaper, I would say.

sandeep

Website
northcaf.com
alright. and how about in comparision to the original out of the box finish? is it anywhere near that?

also, are you left with any circle, swirly scratches within the plastic? (when viewed with direct light shining off of it)

sorry if i sound a bit too inquizitive. i just want to establish what exactly i'll be getting before i put some money into it.

the scratches aren't exactly a huge deal, but i'd like to be able to restore (for the most part), the finish that it came with before i get a case that'll prevent any future damage.

Wolfman200

does anyone know where the Novus polish can be found? (I didn't find it at Homedepot.com)

I*heart*iPods

You can find Novus here:
http://www.tapplastics.com/plastics/cleaners/450_novus.html

(Remember there's useful info in the old forums.)

Sandeep, I would say the finish is similar to the out-of-the-box finish (keeping in mind the last time I saw that was over one year ago). But I have a feeling you're looking at this a lot more closely than I am. I think the time we've both spent discussing this is probably worth the nine bucks this product costs. ;)

dweebgal

i use silvo as opposed to brasso for cleaning my 'pod

becuase it says on the back it's designed for cleaning chrome, and also becuase i already had some at home

sandeep

Website
northcaf.com
I*heart*iPods said:
I think the time we've both spent discussing this is probably worth the nine bucks this product costs. ;)
well said :D

After reading what you'd said, i decided to spend a bit more time with the brasso. Turns out that was all i was lacking, the time. I put some more time into it and got some fairly good results.

At the moment I've got it in PDA protective sheets, so it's good enough.

thanks for answering my questions though. i appriciate it :)

aaronsam

im planing on getting some icleaner stuff, i was wondering if i use that and then put my ipod in a pda protector, will i need to use the cleaner reguarly?

Also say if someone used to much cleaner stuff, could your get to the point where u have a in-dent where u used it?