iPod Video: issue with plastic clip holding battery cable in place

oldworld

Hi all!

I have recently replaced the battery in my trusty iPod Video, doing it myself, and everything worked great for a while. At some point, however, it started shutting down randomly and generally having trouble staying on. I re-opened the iPod and found that the little brown plastic clip that holds the battery ribbon cable in place was partially broken (I thought I had been careful, but I guess I must have pressed too hard on it while putting it back in or something). This results in the cable not staying in and the board not being able to properly draw power from the battery.

This is obviously the kind of problem I could easily fix if only I had a replacement clip. I have considered rigging something up with a piece of metal or something like that, but I really would much rather replace the broken piece with a spare which is exactly the same as the original. This would be a piece of cake if I only knew where to get a spare.

Does anybody here know what those clips are called and/or how I might go about getting one (or a hundred, for that matter -- I would readily buy them in bulk if that was the only way to go)? I have looked into buying a broken iPod on eBay to get the piece out of it, but it turns out broken iPods on eBay are more expensive than you might think. I guess I also could go to an independent repair place, but the idea of giving them $50 for a tiny piece of plastic and labor I could easily do myself really bothers me. I can't believe that finding a simple replacement part like that has to be this difficult.

So if anyone can help with suggestions, ideas, pointers or links, that would be hugely appreciated. Thank you so much and have a great one!

Sincerely,
O.W.

gk17

Welcome to iLounge.

I don't think that piece is damaged...at least in most cases. It's held together by soldering the piece to the main board. Unless you have a very (and I mean very) fine soldering iron and know how to solder, you will need to replace the entire board. You can try going to your local repair shops (TV repair shops should have the proper solder iron) and ask them if they can do this for you. Shouldn't cost too much. Make sure they do a good job. They should be nice little joints attached to the board. If you see a huge blob of solder in the entire area, it won't work and will cause problems. It should be nice and neat....you can take a look at the other chips soldered to the board as an example.

oldworld

Hi there and thanks for your reply!

Actually, I am sure the piece is damaged. It is not anything that was, would or should be soldered to the board -- it is merely a brown plastic clip that helps keep the battery ribbon cable inserted into the board. It is fragile and I must have weakened it by removing it and putting it back in (according to the instructions of my DIY battery replacement kit) and so it broke.

What I am wondering is, does anyone know where I might be able to find this piece as a replacement (aside from buying a whole broken iPod on eBay) and/or have any other suggestions for me.

Thanks again,
O.W.

gk17

Yes, it's just loose in most cases. You probably ripped the solder joints out. So depending on what it looks like now, you might still be able to "revive" it just by soldering the joints back. This is not a simple task and you will need a very fine soldering iron tip to do this.

Even if it was "broken" and you get a new one, you have to solder it back. It's not a piece where you can just snap it onto the board.

crash613

Oldworld: i am in the same boat, sort of... and I don't wknow what gk17 is talking about either. Soder? it is a plastic clip!

anyway, I bought a ipod online for $30 that said "all it needs is a new battery...

got it and it looked as if it has been taken apart many, many times.. took it apart and it was a complete mess inside. The earphone cable was cut in 2, and the clip for the battery was completly missing.

Fixing the headphone cable is easy, they are pretty cheap on flea-bay. but connecting the battery is a problem. I don't care for a "perfect" solution, but i would like to be able to somehow connect a new battery to it. Even if it means just jaming it in place and wedging plastic or something in there to hold it....

any ideas?

gk17

If you repaired enough of these, you will know what I'm referring to. That battery connector is BURNT into the motherboard. It's not a piece where you can just snap onto the board. There is no clips or anything like that for it. See here. Noticed all those other chips and connectors there? You think it's possible to just replace those by "snapping" them back to the mainboard? They are all soldered into the mainboard. Soldering is just melting some metal alloy or tin to fuse two pieces together. In this case, the battery connector and the mainboard. See here if you still don't know what soldering is. No need to go in circles here.

Only way to fix this is to get another working board if you don't know how to solder. That's it..nothing else you can do to fix this problem "permanently".

crash613

well thanks for the input. Great sarcasm with the link to define soldering. :rolleyes:

I am not going to sink the money into another board. I have put the battery in place and then stuck a thin plastic toothpick behind it to hold it in place, against the connectors. It seems to work. Next step would be to cut the tooth pick so it doesn't stick straight out of the back then a dot of hotglue.......wa-la! "permanent" fix.

I see you point that the "right" thing to do would be to get another mainboard, but i don't see sinking ~ $40 into a several year old ipod. If this works and i get six months to a year out of this, then it was worth it... i guess.

gk17

Not a problem at all. There's usually some workaround to these problems. If the toothpick method works for you, great :)

The price is definitely much better now though. It was around $100+ about a year ago.

Apple will be coming out with the new models soon. So even holding off for a a few months should be good. Prices should drop for the current models we have.