ipod unrecognised by PC

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

mojofile

So, when I first installed my shuffle/ipod on my windows ME machine, there were a few teething problems which I eventually managed to sort. After about a week of use, I started getting a system error about the drive being unreadable and corrupted...

"Windows was unable to save all the data for the file \Device\Harddisk2\DP(1)0-0+7\. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere."

So, I tried starting again on a new XP machine and it seems that the problem is still there in that it comes up as a removable Disk which when clicked on says it is corrupted and unreadable...

So the question is, any ideas or is my shuffle broken for ever? Can I right click the disk and format it via the system formatter rather than the ipod updater (which can't see the ipod anyway)...

I was given it as a present from the States and I live in the UK so taking it back is a bit of a problem....

I need help as I have been listening to the same music for over three weeks now and need a change!

Any help appreciated

GreatGraySkwid

The Humblest
Website
www.thehumblest.net
I had a similar problem...well, slightly different. iTunes would not recognize that the Shuffle was plugged in, and if I tried to run the Updater software it would just hang indefinitely during the detection process. After trying this on 3 different Windows machines with exactly the same result, I took it in to the Genius Bar...and wouldn't you know it, when he plugged it into his Powerbook it detected just fine. I asked him to do a restore, just to humor me, and that carried through fine. When I got the Shuffle home, my machine saw it as an iPod again just fine, and it has been fine since.

So, long story short, try finding somebody with a Mac and doing the restore on that machine...sometimes that (apparently) works!

leed22

Had the same problem with the updater. My problem was that I started the updater with the shuffle already plugged in (it would seem to hang while initializing and then give me a error message that the iPod was in use by another app). I unplugged the shuffle, restarted the updater, it initialized and instructed to then plug in the shuffle. After that I was able to restore and it work fine.