ipod or sony nw-ms70d??? help me out here!!!

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

tooeasy005

im deciding in between a 15 GB g3 iPod and the new Sony NW-MS70D walkman. I don't have a library of like 4000 songs or even 2000, but what should i do? I like small and compact, but has to have a lotta bells and whistles!!! Charging is also another thing that sometimes is a hassle. I only, use ATRAC for the Sony anyways since ive owned a MD player in the past so i don't have to worry about their right protection on the software. So what should i do ppl? Comment back to help out a confused customer who wants satisfaction.

Thanks a bundle!!!

jh-retired

A couple things to consider:

1) This is an iPod site. What answer do you really think you'll get here? ;)

2) The iPod does not play ATRAC3 files. You'd have to reencode or convert.

3) I've seen and played with an NW-MS70D. It felt like a piece of crap, and I think I broke the memory port cover just by opening it ;-)

Here comes the answer you'd expect from this website.

Get an iPod. You won't regret it. (This coming from a former multi-device MD junkie).

Infamouschitlin

FYI:
256mb is not 178 songs. That is the biggest load of horse #### I have ever heard. I have an Iriver 256 meg player and it heald maybe 60. go with an Ipod mate. If you don't I will slap you.

Amin

Capor
Website
www.pccb.org
I second on the slapping ;)

But seriously I have owned alot of music players both flash MD and HD based.....the iPod is the best so far. Very small, SLEEEK and nice. Get the iPod.

Bob

Retired
Website
forums.ilounge.com
Well this is an iPod site, so the answer you'll get will be biased towards an iPod in 95% of replies, but if you do buy an iPod and it is not what you want, then please do not blame us for veering you towards the iPod.

BTW, I think I'd go for the iPod

Subliminal Messaging off

sinster

Bakka Gaijin des!
Incase the last post was not clear, I will help out.
I am a master at reading between the lines, and what Madpict was trying to tell you on a subminal level was to get an ipod.

;-)

Kenner

dirty
Yeah, i'm sure everyone is going to recommend the ipod expecially the 15gb :)

I say do your research and find out the faults of the iPod before jumping into it. If you can deal with it you'll love the thing like a close personal friend.
around 8 hour battery, scratch proned, if you don't have a apple you have to get a firewire or usb2 and etc.
This site is very helpful, just browse around and you'll pick up a lot of info.

BUY IPOD! okay, can't help it, this is ipodlounge you know?

thedodgyguy

Declined Lounger
Begining of a long post:

If you consider yourself golden eared, the Sony could have higher audio quality from the headphone jack, given similar bitrate material. However as far as versatility is concerned, the iPod is far better. For your average Joe, I expect the iPod to be the best audio player they've ever owned. Having owned far too many audio devices and headphones not to be somewhat critical, the iPod was unfortunately not for me.

So, if compressed sound quality and incredible portability is important and lack of funds is not an issue (i.e. you're prepared to buy lots of MSDuo cards) then I might point you towards the NetWalkman instead of the iPod. Of course this doesn't give you the option of having a huge swathe of your (or maybe in some cases your whole) music collection in one unit.

I bought and very regretfully returned the iPod after trying to live with it for 3 months, it wasn't quite developed enough for me and had a few too many little firmware and physical design problems here and there which I think I shouldn't have been expected to put up with after the money I'd spent.

I'm not usually a difficult customer and the fact that after presenting my report/reasons for return at the shop I took it back to (and Apple, as they called Apple for technical confirmation) caved in without so much as a whimper of disagreement, and gave me a refund after 3 months with no quibbles should go some way towards confirming my issues. These include problems with inconsistent operation and sound quality.
I love it's concept and would think that many people wouldn't necessarily have the issues I have with it, but the execution was incomplete in my opinion and unacceptable to me in the end for a premium audio player. If pressed I would say the current effort was OK given my problems with the iPod. But OK is not what I'm looking for out of the most expensive audio player on the market. This is a UK unit by the way.

I'm in limbo land at the moment, neither willing to go back to Minidisc (tried going back... waste of time, literally) nor being sufficiently enamoured to buy any of the non-iPod HDD players available now. I'm still in the hunt for a main player (the Karma maybe? But no remote...) while temporarily using my organiser as an MP3 player. I also have a new iRiver 550 but I only intend to use it when flying, as I always buy CD's at the airport.

My very personal view is that if you're considering buying an iPod now, it's not a good time to buy. If you can hold off until the end of the year, other exciting products are only a couple of months away. Wait for them to come out, let the 'early adopters' buy them and see how the market settles down. Apple is unlikely to give up their position as #1 MP3 player without a huge fight, but now the big guys who really know what they're doing are getting heavily into the game... And I expect things to get a lot better very quickly.

Last edited:

thedodgyguy

Declined Lounger
MadPict said:
"exciting products"?
Do tell..............

OK, well maybe not wildly exciting but new anyway. The Rios, Muvo2's, expanded iRiver, etc etc. A lot of info's been posted on these forums already.

PS. Don't know anyone who wants cheap phones up there in Scotland, do you? I've got 4 including the E2 for sale.

dmt1

Dismember
Website
users.domaindlx.com
MadPict said:
"exciting products"?
Do tell..............
Well, there will be the new Phillips flatulence powered mp3 players, with much better battery life than the ipod--one week on a single can of beans (Results may vary somewhat depending on which brand of beans utilized; Jolly Green Giant appears to be the best).

Then there will be the sony retro mp3 player--it will be exactly the same size and have the same look as a 1984 Walkman, should be a huge hit...

And Edigital is coming out with another three hundred dollar disposable mp3 player.

Nomad will have a new mp3 player with even MORE memory--3,000 gb, for people with large music collections, about the size of a laptop (Still very portable, according to nomad), but with very nice brushed metal...

RCA is coming out with an mp3 player with such useful features as a can opener, corkscrew, and HAM radio...

So there are lots of great choices just around the corner!!

dmt1

Dismember
Website
users.domaindlx.com
It's a joke, and only a joke. Nobody was injured. Used to be a time when we actually had fun here at the lounge....You don't like the ipod, that's cool--but the line of reasoning "wait until there is something better out" we've all seen before--and if taken literally, would be an excuse NEVER to buy an mp3 player. My flippant response, which you took personally, although it wasn't directed at you, was directed to the idea that there is something new around the corner--there ALWAYS is, but there is nothing out there that I know of coming out anytime soon that is going to be an ipod killer, and out of interest, I periodically do check into it.

Last edited:

jh-retired

Back to the Original Poster

According to your requirements, you should be choosing not between the iPod and the Sony MS thingy, but between the iPod and the Rio Nitrus.

thedodgyguy

Declined Lounger
Nitrous does look very good. There's one guy on Head-Fi (Ian) so far who has it. I for one am very interested in what he has to say about it. Sound quality is to him better than the iPod so it's looking promising.