iPod Nano 7th Generation Possible Hacks

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

nk22

How did you downgrade it by the way? Also, mine somehow got a grey background, while it has a green background. I'm going to find out where iTunes gets it firmware for the iPod from, maybe it will help.

UPDATE:
Boy, that escalated quickly: This is the website!

Last edited:

TheVividYoshi

How did you downgrade it by the way? Also, mine somehow got a grey background, while it has a green background. I'm going to find out where iTunes gets it firmware for the iPod from, maybe it will help.

UPDATE:
Boy, that escalated quickly: This is the website!
I used a software, I don't remember where it is, sorry :<
Anyway, the grey background is available on all iPods, IIRC.

I had an idea, how about we post all the firmwares, and signature files for the iPod Nano 7G, just in case one of them is particularly easily hacked.

1.0.1:
IPSW: http://appldnld.apple.com/iPod/SBML/osx/bundles/041-7730.20121008.NvSxY/iPod_1.0.1_37A10002.ipsw
Signature: http://appldnld.apple.com/iPod/SBML/osx/bundles/041-7730.20121008.NvSxY/iPod_1.0.1_37A10002.ipsw.signature

1.0.3:
IPSW: http://appldnld.apple.com/iPod/SBML/osx/bundles/041-9962.20131211.Aqaqa/iPod_1.0.3_37A30172.ipsw
Signature: http://appldnld.apple.com/iPod/SBML/osx/bundles/041-9962.20131211.Aqaqa/iPod_1.0.3_37A30172.ipsw.signature

Does anyone have the link to 1.0.2? I presume it is in a different location, but I'm not sure.

nk22

Yeah, I went to the Apple Store the other day and all of them had a grey background. Except for one. The Space Grey version, which was later released. That one didn't have a grey option, but a black one instead. I presume everyone uses different .ithmb files. What color do you have by the way? Mines green.

nk22

I came up with this; where is the EULA of the iPod stored? Because this is probably a .txt file. If so, replacing it by a Wikipedia article or something, could mean text files on the iPod! Only problem, where is it...

nk22

Anyone still working on it other than me and TheVividYoshi?

Agoston99

New here, but very enthusiastic.

I am new to this forum, and to iPod hacking also, as I got a Nano 2 days ago, but I would like to make it better (hack it :D ). If I can help, please tell me what to do, and please also tell me info about iPod hacking, etc. And keep up the good work!

nk22

Bonjour mon ami (French for: Hey friend)! So, the iPod Nano 7 has a lot in common with the previous generation in terms of software. It seems to run something called SnowFox. The iPods firmware is in an .ipsw file and we're trying to edit it a bit, but mostly how on earth you upload your own custom .ipsw files on an iPod. I am personally also figuring out if it's possible to get more background colors.

connor557

How to extract ipsw?

How do I extract the ipsw? The only software I have found online is nanohail and all it does is show me the settings.

I would like to contribute my time to this project, but I am utterly clueless as to how to begin. :D

mattdanfg

Ok, I've found a way to have the Dictaphone app permanently on your iPod, even without microphone! I'm going to post more details soon, but you have to change a NO to a YES in one of the .plist files!

[UPDATE]
Ok here's the documentation of the specific .plist:
/(your iPods name)/iPod_Control (it's hidden)/Device (also hidden)/IconState.plist

Now in IconState.plist you must select Root-->sbIconHistoryList-->Item 2-->locked--> and change 'YES' to 'NO'. Here's an image of it in Xcode, so you can see.
I assume by 'Dictaphone app' you mean voice memos, which can easily be kept by leaving a voice memo on your iPod. Also, I don't have OSX, and my computer is too slow to run VirtualBox, so do you you know of any tools like VirtualBox?

Thanks.

TheVividYoshi

I came up with this; where is the EULA of the iPod stored? Because this is probably a .txt file. If so, replacing it by a Wikipedia article or something, could mean text files on the iPod! Only problem, where is it...
I think the iPod has a bunch of language files in it, and the EULA in question would be in them. Not sure where, though...

EDIT: I am going on a trip for a while, so I will get to test many things (such as the iPod's 7 hour battery life while playing video XD).

TheVividYoshi

I am new to the forum as well. for iPod nano dont know how to use and hack it but only use it when on trip, what can I do after hacked it?
Just to clarify, it has not been hacked yet, as we still have no idea how to extract some of the files. After it has been hacked, if ever, we could have emulators running on it (GB Micro :3), maybe some games, or even an iPod Clickwheel simulator.

I just had an idea, what if the other files that we can't extract are just compiled code?

nk22

Sorry for my long hold, but I'm back!
So Apple just released some updates for the Nano, but it does not look like that they have different firmware. Could someone maybe edit the ipsw by editing e.g. audio files and sacrifice their iPod for testing?

Also, I don't have OSX, and my computer is too slow to run VirtualBox, so do you you know of any tools like VirtualBox?
I use VMWare somettimes

nk22

Was busy with some stuff and I am going to try the following:

All title info is stored in /<iPod Name>/iPod_Control/iTunes/iTunes Library.itlp (contents)/Library.itdb
RSS feeds for podcasts are also stored here.
So I am going to try make a fake podcast (or some random This American Life episode, idk) and edit the RSS feed location, to see if I can e.g. read Reddits RSSes with my iPod

Another interesting thing I found

So when taking a look in /<iPod Name>/iPod_Control/Device/ExtendedSysInfoXml.xml , there's these lines
<key>FireWireGUID</key>
<string>000A270022F25CA1</string>
<key>FireWireVersion</key>
<string>1.70</string>
FireWire, get back in your bench, naughty dog!

<key>BangFolder</key>
<false/>
<key>CanFlashBacklight</key>
<true/>
Woah, an iPod with backlight?! 10/10 would buy

<key>CameWithCD</key>
<false/>
First FireWire, now this? What is this hipster iPod doing?!

<key>vCardsSupported</key>
<true/>
<key>iCalendarsSupported</key>
<false/>

nk22

How do I extract the ipsw? The only software I have found online is nanohail and all it does is show me the settings.

I would like to contribute my time to this project, but I am utterly clueless as to how to begin.
Just change the .ipsw to .zip, as weird as it may sound.

nk22

So Apple just released some updates for the Nano, but it does not look like that they have different firmware
, but dangit they did!

TheVividYoshi

nk22, it looks like you have found configurations that are from when the OS was iOS. Very interesting, but it doesn't look like it will get us very far...

bertb

hello

As far as i know 6th generation is pretty similar to ours, i found this and i think it can be interesting.

<deleted>

ps. since im new here i cant post links, so it got deleted

Why dont you just delete the post cjmnews ? since it makes no sense anymore after your changes ....

Last edited:

nk22

hello

As far as i know 6th generation is pretty similar to ours, i found this and i think it can be interesting.

<deleted>

ps. since im new here i cant post links, so it got deleted

Why dont you just delete the post cjmnews ? since it makes no sense anymore after your changes ....
What did you find?

nk22

SilverImages

Ok, I am going to try this:

I have an extremely bad vista craptop somewhere and I will try to come up with as much possible passwords as possible to open that darn SilverImages file!