iPod classic 6th gen

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

monks1975

Hi

Could anyone give me a rough figure for the value of a mint condition 6g Classic 160gb. I get lots of wildly different values on ebay (some of which sound insane) and would like to know what an 'average' price to pay for one would be in 2016.

Thanks!

--
Jon

sallenmd

Buy or Sell?

Are you looking to buy or sell? The answer differs based on that.

As you learned from eBay, you are free to ask however much you want, but that does not mean you will get it, which is why checking prices on eBay is only really helpful if you are planning on undercutting them all.

The asking prices do give a buyer a clue as to how much one can expect to pay. It's really a matter of how badly you want one and how much you are willing to pay. I can say that it seems that one will have to pay at least $350 and ought to be able to keep it under $500. Hard to say much more precisely. I am not aware of any site where you can figure average purchase prices, you can only see asking prices.

I also think that I would only be willing to buy one that is still in an unopened shrink-wrapped box. Fortunately, I bought two of them at Best Buy the summer before they were discontinued in anticipation of that happening.

Quite frankly, with the existence of a 128 GB iPod Touch, I would certainly not pay more that $400 for a Classic. I would make due with 128 instead of 160 and be glad to have no mechanical parts to worry about.

monks1975

Thanks sallenmd,

I'm looking to sell actually. I understand the price is pretty elastic on these items, and I know there was some clamour from collectors to get hold of them a couple of years back which ramped the price up. I was fortunate to have been given one recently and have no plans to keep it. It's not sealed unfortunately but apart from that it is 'as new' with all the packaging intact if you know what I mean.

It's been tricky to get a sense of current prices as classified forums want you to state a price and non-classifieds prefer you don't talk about stuff for sale. I'll put it on ebay and let the market decide!

I agree with you re their advantages becoming less with bigger solid state devices and streaming which must be having an impact on prices.

Cheers-
Jon

Last edited:

sallenmd

I think you are right that the interest in and price of iPod Classics will decline over time, so now is the time to unload yours. Letting the market decide is the best way to go. Good luck. Let us know how much you end up getting.