iPhone not recognized by iTunes on one computer

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

McNeuman

Itunes on my desktop does not recognize my iPhone. The iPhone CAMERA appears in windows My Computer - but nowhere else. The iphone does recharge when plugged into this computer.

My laptop, on the other hand, does recognize the phone (in itunes). So I used my laptop to set it up. The problem is none of my music/videos are on my laptop. I can move them to the laptop., but much of it is not authorized to work on the laptop.

I would much rather get the desktop to recognize the iphone, but failing that, any help getting the songs in question authorized on my laptop would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Mick

olddirtyme

Similar issue, with parallels

I have a similar problem, I'm using a macbook pro with parallels & windows xp.

The phone installed & activated OK on my mac, but when I try to connect with parallels on xp it is recognized but not as an iphone. It will not automatically launch iTunes and when I run iTunes it does not see the iPhone, even though the iPhone is mounted properly (the computer definitely recognizes the device).

When I first attached the iPhone to XP it ran some kind of hardware wizard which id'd the phone as a camera for some reason.

Can I roll back that change to the registry & reinstall the iPhone drivers or something?

Please post any insights! Thanks!

olddirtyme

These steps allowed me to sync my outlook calendar in Parallels/XP with my iPhone that I previously had activated & synched on my MacBook Pro.

Here is some info that might help. My XP installation can now see the iPod but asks me if I want to merge the accounts when I sync. It seems to have worked. The first two times I tried to sync I did ALSO get some 'time out' errors. But eventually it worked!

SOLUTION - first attach iPhone & make sure XP instance "sees it" and is connected to it.
1. Click Start
2. Right-click on "My Computer" icon
3. Select "Manage"
4. Click "plus" sign next to "Services and Applications"
5. Click "Service" from that dropdown
6. Click on Service named "Apple Mobile Device" and select "Restart"
7. Click on Service named "iPod Service" and select "Restart"

iTunes should start up & recognize device at this time. Next you will have to step through the sync steps to get your data merged properly.

elandais

Am having a similar issue... my itunes (running in Windows Vista on a Mac Pro using boot camp) recognizes a connected ipod, but does not recognize the iphone when connected to it. Have tried the above suggestion of restarting services, no luck. Any ideas out there?

elandais

Hopefully solved....

After much struggle, the solution appears to be relatively simple...

From Device Manager, Select the iPhone (under Portable Devices) and then select "Update Driver" (mine had a Microsoft Driver which enables the camera/storage, but did not allow it to connect with iTunes). Don't direct it to automatically search for a driver, instead, manually point it to search in c:/program files/common files/apple/ - It should then "do it's thing" and install the correct apple driver - voila - iPhone is then recognized.

Hope this works for anyone else who has this problem (am not 100% sure that this is the fix as I tried a myriad of things prior to hitting on this - among the most plausible was unistalling and installing WITHOUT antivirus (and with minimal other USB devices connected) running (keep in mind, when uninstalling don't forget to uninstall the "Apple Mobile Device Support")

shamelin

elandais said:

From Device Manager, Select the iPhone (under Portable Devices) and then select "Update Driver" (mine had a Microsoft Driver which enables the camera/storage, but did not allow it to connect with iTunes). Don't direct it to automatically search for a driver, instead, manually point it to search in c:/program files/common files/apple/ - It should then "do it's thing" and install the correct apple driver - voila - iPhone is then recognized.

Hope this works for anyone else who has this problem (am not 100% sure that this is the fix as I tried a myriad of things prior to hitting on this - among the most plausible was unistalling and installing WITHOUT antivirus (and with minimal other USB devices connected) running (keep in mind, when uninstalling don't forget to uninstall the "Apple Mobile Device Support")
You rock been tring to figure this out for a few hours and came across this post worked like a champ.

Thanks

bigmutt

elandais said:

From Device Manager, Select the iPhone (under Portable Devices)
what if Device Manager is not showing anything called "Portable Devices" ???

I just don't know why suddenly I'm getting this error message in iTunes saying "the Apple Moble Device Service is not started."

TEllett

Fixed my 3G! Thanks!

The solution below fixed my 3G after all else failed. Thanks!

elandais said:

TEllett

Try looking under "Imaging devices"

Even after fixing my situation, I still don't have anything called "Portable Devices". Look for the iPhone under Imaging Devices" . . .

bigmutt said:
what if Device Manager is not showing anything called "Portable Devices" ???

I just don't know why suddenly I'm getting this error message in iTunes saying "the Apple Moble Device Service is not started."

2ducks

Great posts, thanks

I came across this post and tried it immediately. It really works. And after week long search on numerous fora and clubs without any results, trying updating, fixing, restarting apple mobile service and so on...in vain.

Thank you very much.

Only with my computer, i need to look for my iphone under Imaging Devices, and not Portable Devices.

2ducks

Shameless1

Been around a while
iPhone doesnt support 64 bit systems. this might tbe the problem
To correct your statement, itunes does not support 64 bit XP but it does support 64 bit Vista. Apple even came out with a special version of itunes for 64 bit vista.

Shameless1 :)

bobbly11

nothing is working for me

i have looked at so many forums and nothing seems to work.. this one seems to be more on the mark tho...
when i plug my iphone in it comes up as a camera divice and not the old iphone one that it use to come up.. itunes does not recognize it either.. computer only see it as a camera and not a phone.. i have tryed the all of the suggestions.. anymore ideas???

alanjwilliams

I had a problem like this, Itunes would not identify my phone, the only way I would see it atall was with it appearing as a imaging device. Itunes was slow to boot and seemed to stall when I plugged in my Iphone.

Eventually got to the bottom of it in my case, my laptop was sync'd up to my work exchange server and when I was at home it must have been getting stuck waiting on it. As soon as I VPN'd into work it kicked into life and all works.... for now! :)

spiritbear0

Itunes not recognized Iphone 4 but shows up as camera

Yup this worked perfectly - thanks!

roisin

Hi i tried what you said however when typing in the manual location for the driver in the device manager it pops up with 'The location you specified does not exist or cannot be reached. Please enter another location or uncheck the "Include this location in the search" box' PLEASE HELP ME

cjmnews

Staff member
On your computer things may be installed differently, especially if you have a 64 bit OS.

You can try c:/program files (x86)/common files/apple/ and see if that helps.

Or if you installed the program on a different drive you will have to use that drive letter.
Or if you installed the program to a non-default directory you will have to use that path.