iPad Pre-Orders Reach 91,000 on 1st Day

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR
Status
Not open for further replies.
Way too many people blindly buying a first generation product. It will either work as advertised, be better than the magical terms Apple has been coming up with for marketing the iPad, or be an buggy failure just like the first 160GB iPod classic.

sracer

Way too many people blindly buying a first generation product. It will either work as advertised, be better than the magical terms Apple has been coming up with for marketing the iPad, or be an buggy failure just like the first 160GB iPod classic.
That's just silly.

If it is buggy, then a single phone call and the iPad goes back for a full refund.

No, that is silly. You have to bother with calling Apple, pay for shipping to get it back to them (or a re-stocking fee at a local Apple store), any AppleCare purchase won't be refunded, etc. What is so wrong in waiting a few days after the iPad has launched to read the flood of reviews and handling one in person before buying? I would rather wait the two days than have to sit through a 2 hour phone call explaining things (or have a lecture from someone at an Apple store for 2 hours), paying $40 to ship the iPad back or paying a 10-15% restocking fee ($50-$105), and then having to wait the ~30 business days for the charge to be credited back to my credit/debit card. Oh yeah, that sound much better, faster, and easier than just waiting 48 hours to purchase an iPad.

Astro_Digital

No, that is silly. You have to bother with calling Apple, pay for shipping to get it back to them (or a re-stocking fee at a local Apple store), any AppleCare purchase won't be refunded, etc. What is so wrong in waiting a few days after the iPad has launched to read the flood of reviews and handling one in person before buying? I would rather wait the two days than have to sit through a 2 hour phone call explaining things (or have a lecture from someone at an Apple store for 2 hours), paying $40 to ship the iPad back or paying a 10-15% restocking fee ($50-$105), and then having to wait the ~30 business days for the charge to be credited back to my credit/debit card. Oh yeah, that sound much better, faster, and easier than just waiting 48 hours to purchase an iPad.
What he said....

See I do not always disagree with you :)

Gospel

I don't call pre-ordering the iPad a "bliendly purchasing". Call it an "educated guess"s instead.

1. Apple has a good track record for quality products in both build and usefulness.
2. The iPhone and iPod Touch was and still is a big hit.
3. I have an iPhone 3G and use it a lot.
4 The iPad is essentially an iPod Touch with a 10" screen.

So, I and many others feel very confident that the iPad will be a very good quality product that will be very useful. However, since it is a first generation product, I did also get AppleCare for the iPad. If there are software bugs, Apple will try to fix them. Unfortunately, not being able to run third party apps in the background is NOT considered a bug from Apple's point of view. :)

Enjoy life!
Steven

No, it is blindly purchasing the iPad. Making an educated assumption (or guess) would involve actually waiting for accurate reviews to come out and knowing more information than what Apple has released.

1. Yes and no. Remember the original 160GB iPod classic or how about the 3G iPod? Those definitely weren't the best products or iPods. The first generation iPod touch also had its issues regarding screen quality. Apple has had their hardware and software problems just like every other company.
  2. And? The DeLorean was also a hit. I can also name a bunch of Apple products and features that flopped. Doesn't mean that everything they come out with is going to be a huge hit or a huge failure. Only time will tell and people who pre-ordered the iPad aren't letting that happen.
  3. And? I have a Honda Civic that I drive every single day. Doesn't mean that every car Honda comes out with will be a hit.
  4. No it isn't. That statement right there shows how little about the iPad that people know. Why did you purchase an iPad if it is "essentially an iPod Touch with a 10" screen"? You already have an iPhone. There is no need to purchase the same device with a larger screen.

Gospel

Hey, I also have the original 160GB iPod Classic. Bought it the day it was announced! :) I still use it daily. I'm glad I got it because I needed that much space to hold my music and audiobook libraries. Strange, however, that it took Apple two years to come out with another 160GB model.

Anyway, somebody has to be a first adopter so others can learn from our experiences and decide what they want to do.

Enjoy life!
Steven

JSRinUK

I'm glad there are so many people buying straight away. If everyone waited for everyone else to buy one before they bought one themselves, no one would ever buy one. Someone has to be first.

If not for Apple changing their mind on worldwide availability, I would have been in that first day pre-order queue myself. However, as Apple have forced me to wait, I have no choice but to satisfy myself by reading the reviews of the first adopters.

Good for them, I say. Otherwise it'd be a boring two months while I wait for Apple to let me spend my money.

There is a difference between being a first adopter and purchasing a product knowing only the marketing slogans and hardware specs that a manufacturer has released. I am not against first adopters of technology. I have done this a countless number of times. That was all after reading countless pages of accurate reviews (accurate in that they weren't made by haters or fanboys) and actually experiencing the products for myself.

Gospel

I don't mind beta testing stuff. I quite often download beta software and enjoy the experience. I feel that I am helping the developer. I am sure there will be a few bugs with the new iPad but I don't foresee any show stoppers.

BTW, if any iPod could be considered a flop, I'd say it was the iPod Photo. I have the 60GB model. The color display was nice but not good enough for photos. Plus, the iPod Camera Connector accessory was VERY slow and drained the iPod Photo battery in about an hour while transferring photos. It was still a great iPod for music, podcasts, and audiobooks.

Enjoy life!
Steven

neomonkey

i never even heard of the ipod photo i guess i am just out of the loop. but i do have to say i feel like i am becoming a apple user more then a PC (tho i will always be both as long as both are good) but i dont really do any of the big things anymore that PC was better for over apple now so i like the simple way apple does things but im no fanboy. im sure lots of people remember macbook air first gen and how easy that thing could heat up and cook a egg if you wanted or how easy it was to break( i can say this because i have one so i know the issues). but its a lot better now ( for those who want it ) and not every first gen product is mess up or whatever most of them work the way they are suppose to its just that the chance for something to be wrong with a first gen product is like 25%.

Mochan

Just be happy that 91,000 people are willing to be sacrificial lambs for us!

Mochan

I don't mind beta testing stuff. I quite often download beta software and enjoy the experience. I feel that I am helping the developer. I am sure there will be a few bugs with the new iPad but I don't foresee any show stoppers.

BTW, if any iPod could be considered a flop, I'd say it was the iPod Photo. I have the 60GB model. The color display was nice but not good enough for photos. Plus, the iPod Camera Connector accessory was VERY slow and drained the iPod Photo battery in about an hour while transferring photos. It was still a great iPod for music, podcasts, and audiobooks.

Enjoy life!
Steven
Beta Testing for free at no cost to you, and plunking down $500 for the "privilege" are totally different.

TechnologyCoach

Website
www.njpctraining.com
In all aspects of life, there are those that lead & those that follow. ;)

I share Gospel's position, in that the iPad is coming from very good breeding and shows revolutionary promise and potential.

I personally will be available on April 3rd should you have any questions on the iPad :D

In all aspects of life, there are those that lead & those that follow. ;)
I guess the people making pre-orders are the followers since they are falling in line with over 100,000 other people and the leaders are those who are urging others to wait and actually experience a product before buying it.

neomonkey

by the way does anyone know how many pre-orders are their right now i have try to check a few different sites and they all have different # i am just wondering i would guess its about 250,000 but im sure i am wrong

sracer

I guess the people making pre-orders are the followers since they are falling in line with over 100,000 other people and the leaders are those who are urging others to wait and actually experience a product before buying it.

The silliness continues.

This anti-iPad derangement syndrome continues to grow. The naysayers claim that the iPad is nothing more than a large iPod Touch and will be an epic fail on a level similar to the Newton. The wait-n-see'ers are fearmongering by claiming it is such an unproven technology... even though it is nothing more than a large iPod Touch. Those two teams should compare notes. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.