How do I know if I have a 1G or 2G touch ???

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

locus

OK I have been looking (maybe not hard enough) but I can not find a way for sure to tell me if my touch is 1G or 2G . Is there a way to tell ? the findings I have found so far makes me think that the 8GB Touch are 1G and the 16 GB are 2 G but I Have a 32 GB does that make it 3G ? I bought mine a couple of months ago if that helps, and I did upgrade the firmware to the 2.0

Thank you

P.S. never mind just found out the 2G has buttons on the side for volume control and mine does not so I guess I have the 1G.

Last edited:

trevpimp

locus said:
OK I have been looking (maybe not hard enough) but I can not find a way for sure to tell me if my touch is 1G or 2G . Is there a way to tell ? the findings I have found so far makes me think that the 8GB Touch are 1G and the 16 GB are 2 G but I Have a 32 GB does that make it 3G ? I bought mine a couple of months ago if that helps, and I did upgrade the firmware to the 2.0

Thank you

P.S. never mind just found out the 2G has buttons on the side for volume control and mine does not so I guess I have the 1G.
The New Touch has chrome around the touch + Back, The Only on is dark gray around the touch and it doesnt have Genius Playlist. The new and old ones are all 8GB, 16GB, 32GB.

The Old ones, on the back the antenna (black part) is squarish with pointed corners, the new one is more of an oval circle shape. with no corners.

Heres some pics of old and new Ipod Touches:

1st Gen: http://www.geekanoids.co.uk/Support/page8/files/page8_2.jpg

2nd Gen: http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/gallery/

And the new one on the back its not flat it curves and it feels more comfortable.

NitroZip

Does upgrading to the latest firmware make the 1st Gen the same as the 2nd GEn?

ipodlover29

Registered iLounger
NitroZip said:
Does upgrading to the latest firmware make the 1st Gen the same as the 2nd GEn?
Yes software wise it will be identical to the 2G if you upgrade to the 2.1 software.

NitroZip

ipodlover29 said:
Yes software wise it will be identical to the 2G if you upgrade to the 2.1 software.

Ok, thanks.
I called 2 Best Buys to see if they had a 2nd Gen Touch, one said no, the other said they had them.
Drove almost an hour to get it. At the store the guy asked me what I wanted, I said I need a 2nd Gen Touch, he said I will go in back and get one, paid and left. When I got home, I discovered it was a 1st gen.
Really ticked me off.

choirguy

Regarding the question about the upgrade making a 1st Generation Touch the same as the 2nd Generation...

There are a couple of hardware additions to the 2nd Generation Touch that make it a bit of a different device...specifically the volume buttons and external speakers. Also, the Touch will be able to record audio through the headphone jack.

If all you ever use your Touch with is headphones or external speakers...then your 1st Generation Touch will be awesome with the 2.1 software. However...if you're looking to run "Lightsaber Unleashed," the new internal speaker would be nice...

FirstDeadlySin

Freshmeat Lounger
NitroZip said:
Ok, thanks.
I called 2 Best Buys to see if they had a 2nd Gen Touch, one said no, the other said they had them.
Drove almost an hour to get it. At the store the guy asked me what I wanted, I said I need a 2nd Gen Touch, he said I will go in back and get one, paid and left. When I got home, I discovered it was a 1st gen.
Really ticked me off.
The same thing happened to me! Ok, so I order the new (2g) 32gb iPod Touch through BestBuy.com and that I will pick it up in the store and it says it usually takes 45 minutes to receive the confirmation email. It took 2 and a half hours for me to get that email, and then I race down to Denver to get it... I pick it up, and I get to my car and examine the box and I realize the employee sold me the 1st gen 32gb iPod Touch!

So I march right back in there and tell them they sold me the wrong iPod Touch, this is the 1st generation and I ordered a 2nd generation! So the stupid Best Buy employee is like :confused: "I didn't know there were new iPods out" and boy are they lucky they had a 2nd generation in stock or else I would've exploded :mad: So within a couple minutes, I walk out of Best Buy with my new 2nd generation 32gb iPod Touch.

When BestBuy.com emailed me wanting to know about my in-store pick up experience, I let them have it. I told them they really need to school their employees who work in the mp3 department that every September is new iPod season and they need to be able to distinguish between the old and new generations! I thought, how pathetic of that employee to be so dumb-founded. /end rant

kyussmondo

Sounds more like Worst Buy than Best Buy. Most sales assistants don't have a clue though. Do you think they really care that much or keep up to date with the latest gadgets when they are probably barely above the minimum wage.

mooncloud90032

Thank you

u could still have a 2g ipod just go to itunes store and go into the chat with customer service then enter the serial number on the back & it will give u all the information on that ipod . u dont even have to chat with nobody then u just click off...hope it helps u ??????