Hotmail working on Mail app--but I never paid for a plus account!

Pan86

Sorry if this issue has already been addressed....

I'm not sure if this has happened to anyone else but I wanted to use Hotmail on my ipod touch via the mail app--so I went to mail and I chose 'other' and i put in my hotmail account information and it worked, I could check my mail and send emails too.

But most people say that you need to pay $20/year for a Hotmail plus account and I'm pretty sure I never signed up for anything like that---So does anyone know why it's working for me? I mean it's great that I can use it, but I don't want any surprise bills saying that I've signed up for something I didn't want to.

Any help would be great, thanks.

caloomba

interesting...i just tried mine and it's currently downloading all my messages!

and i haven't paid a penny! :confused:

Pan86

LOL it's working for you too caloomba?! I'm hesistant to use it, but do you think its possible that it's free now?

ipodlover29

Registered iLounger
Yeah Micrsoft did mention that they would eventually allow pop access for free to all users about a year ago. I tried it myself and it works. Now I dont have to pay $15/year for hotmail plus or izymail. This will put izymail out of business probably though.

ipodlover29

Registered iLounger
Kingnitro said:
I tried loading Hotmail and it rejected it...
What settings did you use? Also just disregard the message that says you need hotmail plus for it to work and click next.

Kingnitro

ipodlover29 said:
What settings did you use? Also just disregard the message that says you need hotmail plus for it to work and click next.
Well I went to Other and typed in my Name, HM address plus Password. I even clicked Next as you suggested. But when I tried to open it up in Mail it said unable to access.

Pan86

Kingnitro said:
Well I went to Other and typed in my Name, HM address plus Password. I even clicked Next as you suggested. But when I tried to open it up in Mail it said unable to access.
I don't know too much about how the mail app works but I'll try to help---Maybe your account is turned off on your ipod touch? Try going to 'settings' at the home screen, then choose 'mail, contacts and calendars' and select the account you just created. Then check to see if it is on or off.

Also you could check the incoming and outgoing mail servers--the incoming is pop3.live.com and the outgoing is stmp.live.com--at least, that's what it is for mine.

I'm not sure if that was any help...sorry if that was useless info.

Kingnitro

Pan86 said:
I don't know too much about how the mail app works but I'll try to help---Maybe your account is turned off on your ipod touch? Try going to 'settings' at the home screen, then choose 'mail, contacts and calendars' and select the account you just created. Then check to see if it is on or off.

Also you could check the incoming and outgoing mail servers--the incoming is pop3.live.com and the outgoing is stmp.live.com--at least, that's what it is for mine.

I'm not sure if that was any help...sorry if that was useless info.
Pan, you have to add a new Mail account in the settings, you can't do it whan accessing email. But I'm going to try again tonight while reading this thread, see if I can make a go of it.

fletcher

i was on another website and someone said they got it to work without paying so i tried it and it worked for me as well i got a 2g ipod touch

nordikwolf

I tried this over the weekend, and I am unable to open my Hotmail account. All other accounts are fine (pop3.live.com and stmp.live.com were auto-filled). Perhaps this is because my email is linked with WindowsMessenger?

Just a WAG.....

Hotmail - no luck

I just got a new Touch and am not having any luck getting my hotmail without the upgraded hotmail subscription. Is it still working for some of you?

ipodlover29

Registered iLounger
Here are the settings for the pop3 access for hotmail users. Keep in mind you have to go into the settings menu, then mail, then add account, then choose other.

Our POP service requires that you use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) with the POP and SMTP connection and use SMTP authentication. This is to ensure that your email address and password are not subject to tampering. The settings are the following:

POP: pop3.live.com (port 995)
SMTP: smtp.live.com (port 25)
Note: make sure you check the box that indicates that your outgoing server requires authentication (in most mail clients this is not checked by default).
Username: your full email address
Password: your Windows Live ID password

web link:

http://solsie.com/hotmail-plus-offers-pop-access/

I just cut and pasted from a previous post for hotmail plus users but these should work for all hotmail users now.

nordikwolf

I too am unable to access my 'free' hotmail account using my iPod-Touch (Gen-1).

Does Generation matter (I wouldn't think so) and how do I get to the port settings for the incoming/outgoing servers?

Thanks in advance!

*** Maybe I live in the wrong country?

Last edited: