HELP Audiobooks not showing up

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

robert

Retired
To uncheck a song, go to song and click on the square with the check on it, or highlight a group, R click, and select uncheck selections.

Ivy

BINGO!!! You guys are awesome. I deleted them off my ipod, then reinstalled them. I really appreciate you both spending so much time with me on this.

Ivy

I took the automatic off and changed it to manual. Then I changed from "library" to "ipod and deleted the files. I changed back to automatic and clicked update ipod.

robert

Retired
Ivy said:
I took the automatic off and changed it to manual. Then I changed from "library" to "ipod and deleted the files. I changed back to automatic and clicked update ipod.
Ingenious. That is much simpler than all the attach iPod and reattach that I recommended.

I am assuming that you must have had your iPod attached to computer during some of your renamings.

Thanks,

Robert

Ivy

I guess I figured out a simple way to do it since I have no clue! Actually, I've had this thing since Christmas and I've managed to put four movies on it and now 6 audiobooks. I don't know how I lived before my ipod!

robert

Retired
thanks, Ivy. Have a look at your simple three-step solution now summarized in edited second post of this thread.

Happy iPoddding.

I now need to add this link to every one of the guides and to the FAQ link in signature below.

They need updating with screen shots anyway. After my taxes are done, maybe.

Ivy

Great. Now, I have to do it all over again because I have three more books I want to put on. I think I'll finish re-listening to Harry Potter first, then dive into something new. Appreciate all your help - Ivy

VipFREAK

Ok... so let me get this straight. For Audiobooks to show up under the audiobook menu it has to be AAC files and protected?

robert

Retired
VipFREAK said:
Ok... so let me get this straight. For Audiobooks to show up under the audiobook menu it has to be AAC files and protected?
Only AAC files with renamed file extension of m4b and iTunes Music store and audible.com audiobook downloads show in Audiobooks main menu category of iPod, play faster and skip in main menu shuffle. In the Kind column of iTunes the AAC/m4b files show as "Protected AAC audio file" when, in fact, they are not protected.

VipFREAK

:rolleyes: :sigh: Oh... so I can convert them to AAC or M4B and it will work then?

robert

Retired
VipFREAK said:
:rolleyes: :sigh: Oh... so I can convert them to AAC or M4B and it will work then?
Nope, have to do BOTH. If you are mac, use Applescripts to change the tags, if PC, rename extension to m4b. Need to do both to make file bookmark. See the appropriate guide linked in signature below on how to make the conversions and iTunes Prefrences settings -- . I assume CDs, which guide includes screen shots. I will edit the others with screen shots when have time to do so.

You may want to try MarkAble, full function free trial, which mananges the whole process for you, including a CD Wizard.

Have fun.

VipFREAK

Ok, thanks... I'll check out your link (didn't see it before). It's more of just an irritation but I still have it organized under my own audiobooks name using Artists so it's not that big a deal.

robert

Retired
if you set iTunes preferences to import CDs with AAC (Best for iPod, anyway), you then will only have to rename file extensions, add the m4b files to iTunes Library, and clear the now non-existent m4a files. More detail in the guides -- a separate guide for each link in signature.

Cheers.

robert

Retired
Just to be sure we are on the same wave length: I was assuming your original source was a CD, not that you have to burn a file to CD before converting to AAC. R click file in iTunes and select Convert to AAC. The links to guides are by source of audiobook.

VipFREAK

Oh, no... I found some Mp3 Audiobooks, some sounds like a rip of a cassette tape because of the quality. The whole reason I'm even in audiobooks is I'm just exploring all the capabilities of this iPod. I'm not planning on substituting my Video time for this or mp3s... hell even games would come before this stuff would. lol

Piniepower

Got all that?
I am in Desperate Need of Help

Hello,

I have been trying to convert six of my Harry Potter Audiobooks to .m4b format to view in the Audiobooks menu on the iPod. I however am not having much luck converting them to ACC from mp3. For example. the one book is normally around 20.5 hours long but when I convert it in iTunes, it is over 400 hours. I have tried changing the import settings from 128kbps to 32kbps but it still doesn't work. Does anyone have solutions?:confused:

Note: I run Windows XP (so I can't use the AppleScript which annoys me) and currently use iTunes 6.0.4.2.

Any URGENT help is appreciated, I have been struggling for months.

Thanks in advance!

robert

Retired
try shorter files. Most find that 5 hours or so is the max length that will work on homemade files. MAYBE 6 or 7, but 5 is safe.

See the guides in signature below. You may want to try out MarkAble which will merge and do most of the work for you. It will keep the files at about 5 hours each. You can put the resulting files into a smart playlist to keep them sorted and easy to handle.

Piniepower

Got all that?
hmm...

I've tried splitting, but isn't there still a way to make it one big one? I mean, you can buy thr Harry Potter Audiobooks from iTunes and they are definatly longet than 5 hours.

I have used Markable as well.

robert

Retired
Piniepower said:
I've tried splitting, but isn't there still a way to make it one big one? I mean, you can buy thr Harry Potter Audiobooks from iTunes and they are definatly longet than 5 hours.

I have used Markable as well.
The forums have speculated that the problem lies in iTunes AAC codec making the conversion from mp3 to AAC. Audible.com and iTunes are probablly not converted in the same way, so the problems appear only in long homemade files. However, there have been, however complaints that iTunes Harry Potter long files will not play properly. See FAQ link in signature below on how to split long mp3 files into smaller ones using iTunes. I think the FAQ is about the 11th FAQ.

I don't recall having an audible.com file longer than 12 hours. It played fine, but it is in audible.com's format, not AAC.

If you have the typical Harry Potter mp3 set, you should be merging, not splitting --- Just merge into 5 hour or so files, no larger.

You will not have at most four or five files. Not too many to deal with considering all the problems you are having trying to create one large file. Use Smart Playlist to keep all of one book in one logical and easy to manage place.

It has only been 18 months or so that the forum discussed converting CD's and MP3s to m4b bookmarking files, so I am just happy to be able to do it even if the files have to be five hours.