Hanging around the neck - geeky?

tonton

I hang my classic iPod around my neck with a white translucent iSkin. I don't have to worry about long headphone cables because I use my EX-70s with the short cable, and no remote or extender. It's perfect. I never ever get tangled up in the cord and my iPod is well protected from bumping against things in a bag, etc.

But do I look like a geek?

dacloutier

Who really invented the iPod?

I knew it!!! Wallace and Grommit invented the iPod!!!

I'll bet the prototype had pipes and stuff sticking out of it but could also give you a cracking good haircut!

Dave

chasoscar

Well......... it could be, but

I work as a landscaper. Since I am around alot of dirt and grit it was necessary for me to "invent" a system that would allow me to conceal and protect my iPod. I needed full access to my remote to keep from having to "unpack" my beauty. Since I work without a shirt most of the time, I needed something that would allow me to find and orientate the remote without much fuss. I use the Marware CEO glove as my main case but found a PDA case (sportsuit II) from Marware (on sale for $13) that everything fits into snugly and it provides fantastic protection for the iPod with padding and fiberglass stiffeners and a good sealing zipper to keep everything dust free. The Sportsuit II case has a strong D ring sewn to the case with 1?? webbing and I attach it to my belt with a caribiner clip and everything is convenient and protected. I have been using this system for almost 3 months now and have had no problems with access to it or dust. My iPod looks as new as the day I took it out of the box when I take it out of the dusty case. Yep.............. it prolly does look geeky............ but Im rocking and rolling.......

Attachments

uniqueseraph

I've never heard of anyone doing this. But like tntracy said, if it works for you..You're only a geek if you think you are. And besides, what's wrong with being a geek?

I think that rocks, chasoscar. Tell me - do you have a scrollwheel iPod, and if so, how do you keep the scrollwheel from moving and making the volume go all wacky when you're working outside? I have to set my volume and then use a bit og masking tape to keep the scrollwheel from moving while I mow the lawn.

vaporeso

eustacescrubb said:
I think that rocks, chasoscar. Tell me - do you have a scrollwheel iPod, and if so, how do you keep the scrollwheel from moving and making the volume go all wacky when you're working outside? I have to set my volume and then use a bit og masking tape to keep the scrollwheel from moving while I mow the lawn.
I don't mean to be an a$$ but..... the hold button?

Joe

I simply duct tape the iPod to the side of my head. I've cut the headphone cord to be just a few inches long, so I don't have to worry about any cords hanging around.

Only thing bad about this system is it hurts like hell when I have to pull the tape off my head so I can get to the controls. Sucks not having eyebrows anymore, too, but those are the only problems with this system.

jerseyfreeze

eustacescrubb said:
But then I can't skip tracks!
e-

I think vaporeso was commenting on the above picture, where the gentleman clearly has the iPod remote. He most likely switches the "hold" button on the iPod itself to the 'on' position, but leaves the remote's "hold" button 'off.'

For you, I'd recommend buying a remote - that way you wouldn't have to worry about the scrollwheel moving and adjusting the volume unintentionally.

-Jason

chasoscar

In case you are interested~~~

Actually the system also works great when I get dressed to go out also. I can wear it under a shirt and it hangs from the two headphone cables (the two cables coming from the headphones hold the system steady and in one place) and you would not believe how easy it is to locate the individual buttons on the remote thru my shirt. The grey thing that you see in the above picture is a plastic calling card and I specifically used it to space the wires coming from the headphones in order to hold the remote in one place. In order to get the remote to hold on the card without slipping off I super glued 2 thin stips of the same plastic material (on opposing sides) along the edge of the card for the remote to grip onto. It works great, and not once has the remote come off accidentally. This was the only tricky part however because if you look at the bite of the remote you will notice that the two jaws of the remote clamp bite at different spots, so the strips that I glued to each side of the card needed to be different widths(back 7/32"- front 1/8")and this is necessary to get a good grip with the remote. I have included a picture of this for anyone interested. I originally intended to use this system while working outside without a shirt but I have to admit that I have actually enjoyed using it under my shirt more than I could have imagined. It really makes my iPod stealthy and most folks never notice that Im rocking to Stevie Ray until I break into a chorus of voodoo woman!

Attachments

chasoscar

Sorry.......... wrong pic.........

I apologize........... and I could have replaced the pic but I thought that it also might be helpful... I hope that the pics that I have posted to this one thread do not cause it to load tooo slowly. At any rate this is the pic that I intended to post.

Attachments

chasoscar

Did I miss something??

eustacescrubb said:
:confused: Am I not getting a joke? Public Enemy, I don't see any offensive/innapropriate pictures... Perhaps they've been removed already?
Im with you Eustacescrubb.......... I did not see or mean anything to be offensive. If Public Enemy was refering to the two pics that I posted I am at a loss at what he might think is inappropriate.
Please enlighten us PE~~~~~ :confused: