external battery pack for new ipods


jackz

New member
Since the new ipods, as far as I've unterstood, do no longer feature standard firewire connection but an individual docking connector, has anybody come up with an updated how to for building an external battery? (like e.g. this one: http://users.adelphia.net/~evansa/iPodCharger.html)

As the new ipods battery is only 630mAh, wouldn't it be easy to double its battery life with a tiny external li-ion pack? According to this post http://ipoding.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=XForum&file=viewthread&tid=507 virtually any battery between 7 and 35V should do the trick - e.g. the old ipods battery! All you'd need to build such a device would be a connector that fits the ipods docking connector and an appropriate charger for the battery....

any ideas guys?
 

sinster

Bakka Gaijin des!
I havent a clue how to build one; but if money is not a huge concern, I think Belkin has released an external battery attachment. It plugs right into the firewire port on the Gen3 Ipod and you fill the instrument with 4 AA batteries. Adding an additional 8hrs or something..I am quoting the numbers from memory,,I might be wrong.

Try going to apple.com and check for accesories under iPod.
 

jackz

New member
sinster said:
I havent a clue how to build one; but if money is not a huge concern, I think Belkin has released an external battery attachment. It plugs right into the firewire port on the Gen3 Ipod and you fill the instrument with 4 AA batteries. Adding an additional 8hrs or something..I am quoting the numbers from memory,,I might be wrong.

Try going to apple.com and check for accesories under iPod.
yeah, I know this one, but it seems rather uncomfortable to me, because it makes the ipod _a lot_ thicker and doesn't seem too flexible. building something similar would be easy as long as you get the connector.
 

Bob

Active member
Administrator
Why?
Apple have gone to the trouble of developing a back up battery pack with Belkin and you would rather have something made from an old Tupperware box?

OK so it makes the iPod thicker, but it's probably only meant as a back up if you're out on the road and away from an AC outlet/Car socket.

The fact that Apple have gone with a unique FW plug/socket this time will mean it may be hard to get hold of the plug unless you chop up a spare lead to get one.

Go for the Belkin - at least if it fails or cooks your iPod you will have some recourse for help from Apple.
 

Kenny

Super Man
MadPict said:
Why?
Apple have gone to the trouble of developing a back up battery pack with Belkin and you would rather have something made from an old Tupperware box?

OK so it makes the iPod thicker, but it's probably only meant as a back up if you're out on the road and away from an AC outlet/Car socket.

The fact that Apple have gone with a unique FW plug/socket this time will mean it may be hard to get hold of the plug unless you chop up a spare lead to get one.

Go for the Belkin - at least if it fails or cooks your iPod you will have some recourse for help from Apple.
I think the main reason is $$$. If you look at the price of that Belkin product, do you really think that all the parts and labor really add up to $60US? ....Im thinking that the parts would be more around $25.

BTW instead of tupperware, why not use those little altoid boxes?
Of course the only problem is that new cable.
 

jackz

New member
having this connector would even allow to build a charger with e.g. 1m cable length that you can conveniently carry in your backpack while having it plugged into the ipod in your pocket.
 

Mypod

New member
I would be totally possible for someone to make
a sleave for the new Ipod... something like what the Compaq
Ipaq has now for batteries. This would be form fitting and just
slide right on.. and cover the port on the lower part of the new
Ipod.

Also I wonder if the Belkin Battery CHARGES the Ipod... so you can
plug it in for a hour and have a fully charged Ipod on the road?

Wishfully

Chris
 

Mypod

New member
http://users.adelphia.net/~evansa/iPodCharger.html

Check this out

This product allows you to either run your iPod off eight 'AA' batteries, or to charge your iPod battery from the batteries. When the iPod External Charger is connected to your iPod, the iPod treats the iPod External Charger just as it would your FireWire wall plug adapter. Changing the batteries in an iPod External Charger is just as easy as changing the batteries in your TV remote control!



Feel free to contact me through any of the above channels for information about purchasing a hand-built External iPod Charger with case. I hand build the chargers using the finest materials (including gold-plated FireWire cables), soldering all the connections, and using the highest-grade heat tubing to seal everything. The unit price is $38.50 including shipping (inside the Continental U.S.) and order tracking (case included; batteries not included). International customers please email me for shipping and payment instructions. May ship USPS or UPS. Thank you.

Ordering Instructions: Simply select your desired iPod External Charger case color and click the 'Buy Now' button!

Current Case Colors: blueberry, raspberry, tangerine, snow, graphite - (view all colors together)
 

Kenny

Super Man
I know next to nothing when it comes to electronics, soldering, etc... so please be kind :)

Why is it that no one has been able to build a true 'rechargeable battery pack'? What I mean, is that you can use rechargeable batteries (instead of alkaline), and that once the charge is gone, you simply plug the unit into a wall outlet or connect it via firewire to the computer?
I understand that it's probably more complicated, since none of the battery packs can do this, but I was just wondering why no one has attempted this?
 

norque83

New member
I like the idea that the Belkin Charger has suction cups to attach to the back of the iPod (that might work well)
 

ibons

New member
Kenny said:
I know next to nothing when it comes to electronics, soldering, etc... so please be kind :)

Why is it that no one has been able to build a true 'rechargeable battery pack'? What I mean, is that you can use rechargeable batteries (instead of alkaline), and that once the charge is gone, you simply plug the unit into a wall outlet or connect it via firewire to the computer?
I understand that it's probably more complicated, since none of the battery packs can do this, but I was just wondering why no one has attempted this?
would you be refering to a battery pack that actually plugs straight into the wall socket to charge?

I've seen novelty torches with rechargable batteries built in that can do that, but I guess it might not be practical for a battery pack as it would 1) increase the bulk of the pack 2) make it more expensive(one plug and charging circuit on each battery ain't cheap) and 3) if you keep it simple less things are liable to spoil
 

ibons

New member
norque83 said:
I like the idea that the Belkin Charger has suction cups to attach to the back of the iPod (that might work well)
even though one of my primary concerns for any electronic gadget is battery life, i still went ahead to upgrade to the g3 ipod after seeing the belkin battery pack, as it made me realise that it was possible to use the new proprietary port to make a external battery pack that actually makes the pod run for a much longer time.

i'm hoping that the other pod accessory manufacturers will really come up with a slim rechargable sleeve like what mypod says.. something that increases the bulk of the pod only minimally to increase battery life significantly. even if they don't, hey, there's still the belkin battery pack to fall back on.
 

twlutz

New member
I too was concerned about adding bulk to such an elegant device--but the appeal of gaining 15-20 hours of battery life for those long trips was too appealing for me to pass up so I bought the belkin adapter. Now I'm just waiting for it to ship in the first or second week of June. I was a little concerned about the price, then I found the price at pc connection (http://www.pcconnection.com/) for $46.00 and decided to buy. To add a bonus to the deal, I called and instead of paying the $7.00 shipping, I found out that shipping was free! I saved almost $15.00 from Apple and almost $25.00 from Belkin. If anyone is considering buying the adapter, I would recommend checking out this deal (just be sure to call to get the free shipping deal).
 

Impulse29

New member
Well I wouldn't expect new external batery packs coming any time soon, because Belkin paid Apple a substantial amount of money to be the first, and only producer of them (so far). Because of the port on the bottom, it is ver complicated. What I owuld do, is buy a Belkin battery pack, and see where the connectors go. Then I would find a cheap cable somewhere (hard to find), and copy Belkin's method. You could even use the Sony bubblegum sticks (the flat ones)!!.
 

sammermpc

New member
Just as a matter of course, but i think paying even 46 dollars for the belkin pack is absurd. With my previous minisdisc player an external battery pack was provided. I mean, these things are a couple shreds of plastic with half a cent worth of wiring right?

I will be taking my ipod to Africa this summer, away from any kind of outlet for a matter of monthson what will be a very (very) economical trip. Having the battery pack is an assumed necessity for this, I just get the sense that they are gouging us on this one. I'm tempted to start sticking wires connected to batteries into the dokcing port =p.

It seems like highway robbery to charge a price like that, i know the ipod is a luxury item, but c'mon...
 

twlutz

New member
Oh I totally agree that some of these products are way over priced--I only decided to buy the battery pack because I travel a lot and am not always able to access a wall outlet or car. I really wish that apple would make the ipod battery removable like cell phones, then I could just buy a few extra battery packs (though who'd like to think of the price they'd charge per battery! :rolleyes:) I do think I'd be a bit too scared to "experiment" with making my own external battery for the ipod though...
 
wait!!!! who says you need the special wierdo connector... just use the ipod cable. just make a pack that plugs into the other end of the cable(where the pc would be) then you got a battery pack that could go anywhere.!!!

WOW.. maybe not but hey
 

Top