Etymotic ER-4P vs. Shure E2

Dunbar

Well I picked up the Shure E2's today at Guitar Center (for $80.) The ER-4's have a detailed, lively top-end that never sounds harsh. The E2 has a mellower top-end which means you'll miss out on some detail. It's not a huge difference but unfortunately the E2 is not the audiophile solution the ER-4 is. However, the snug fit of the E2 makes it a much better mobile earphone than the ER-4. I bought them for the gym and the combination of snug fit, quiet cord and noise isolation (with foams) make it the perfect for this role (IMO.) The ER-4 sticks out too far and the cord doesn't tuck easily like the E2.

Here's how I'd rate them:

Etymotic ER-4 - 100 (the gold standard)
Shure E2(C) - 90 (pretty close)
Sony MDR70 - 80 (from what I recall comparing it to the ER-4 directly.)

Kenny

Super Man
How's the isolation between the Shure's and the Ex70's?

I really hate the way my Ex70's sound (too muddy, and very clear in the high end), and want to upgrade.

I'll keep the EX70's for the gym though. I already have a pair of Grado SR60's for home use (really the only place that you can use these things), and want to get either new headphones or earbuds for portable use.

The Shure e2's are on my list, as are the Sony V6/7506 (although that long cord is something I dont like), and the Sony D66SL's.
Ety's are unfortunately way out of my budget.

Dunbar

The isolation with the foam tips is excellent, probably 15-20db (equal to the ER-4's.) The E2's come with those rubber tips like the EX70's which are pretty worthless at blocking sound. I wouldn't recommend jogging/biking in public with these on though, with music playing you hear nothing.

mongoos150

I have a pair of the Sony MDR 7506. A bit more expensive than what you guys are talking about, but the sound is completely isolated. As for the actuall headphones, they are the best professional headphones I have heard. Highs, mids and lows are all crystal clear. They are truely amazing. You really should check them out. They are super super comfortable too. My only caveat is(as mentioned) the cord is really long (due to the fact that recording artists use these in the studios and need long cords).

Kenny

Super Man
The V6/7506 are definately great cans (The 7506's are clones of the original V6's).
And the V6s can be found for about the same price as the Shure e2's (maybe even less).

My only gripe about the sony's, is that they're not very comfortable for listening during long periods (the headphone clamps on your head pretty tight (at least it does to my fat head:)), and the closed cans really heatup your ears, -great for winter though). The bass is a little heavy, and a little too bright, but otherwise, very very great sounding headphones.

Mr Big

Have you listened to the Shure E1's... I think that it's more of a fair comparison for the 4P's. I paid $120.00 for a pair at the Guitar Center and I think they sound great. The only reason I got rid of them is because the square body dug into my ear making them mighty uncomfortable for lengthy listening sessions.

mongoos150

Kenny said:
The V6/7506 are definately great cans (The 7506's are clones of the original V6's).
And the V6s can be found for about the same price as the Shure e2's (maybe even less).

My only gripe about the sony's, is that they're not very comfortable for listening during long periods (the headphone clamps on your head pretty tight (at least it does to my fat head:)), and the closed cans really heatup your ears, -great for winter though). The bass is a little heavy, and a little too bright, but otherwise, very very great sounding headphones.
Yes, they (7506) can make my ears warm after prolonged periods of use as most cans do, but I have never experienced any discomfort.

dmt1

Dismember
Dunbar said:
Well I picked up the Shure E2's today at Guitar Center (for $80.) The ER-4's have a detailed, lively top-end that never sounds harsh. The E2 has a mellower top-end which means you'll miss out on some detail. It's not a huge difference but unfortunately the E2 is not the audiophile solution the ER-4 is. However, the snug fit of the E2 makes it a much better mobile earphone than the ER-4. I bought them for the gym and the combination of snug fit, quiet cord and noise isolation (with foams) make it the perfect for this role (IMO.) The ER-4 sticks out too far and the cord doesn't tuck easily like the E2.

Here's how I'd rate them:

Etymotic ER-4 - 100 (the gold standard)
Shure E2(C) - 90 (pretty close)
Sony MDR70 - 80 (from what I recall comparing it to the ER-4 directly.)
Hmmm....I have a pair of EX70's that I use for the gym--I like them, but I was going to get the Ety4-s (I use Grado SR60's at home)--are you saying that you have a hard time keeping the Ety's in at the gym? If so, they'll be practically worthless to me, as I doubt I would use the Ety's over the Grado's at home--like the cans better than ear canal devices...The E2 may be the best way for me to go (especially at that price)...

Dunbar

Re: Re: Etymotic ER-4P vs. Shure E2

dmt1 said:
Hmmm...I was going to get the Ety4-s (I use Grado SR60's at home)--are you saying that you have a hard time keeping the Ety's in at the gym?
The problem with the ER-4 is how far it sticks out of your ear. This creates a long lever arm which makes it easy to pull them out. The cable is also noisy and very long which doesn't help things. The foam tips wear out quickly (a week for me) and the sound decays quickly so you'd want to use the flanged tips. The notion of beating on $300 headphones also seems counterintuitive. The earhugger mod below solves most of these problems (tugging and microphonics) and the sound is superb so you decide...

dmt1

Dismember
Thanks for the link!!

No way I could wear the ear huggers though...

When I work out, my earbuds don't really get beat up--I take pretty good care of them, but yea, I see the point w/r to something so expensive...

Guess I'm going to have to check the shures out--how comfortable are they in comparison to the EX-70's?

Dunbar

I'm not a fan of the hard rubber tips, the "wedge" style approach to sealing isn't good for comfort. The foam tips are very comfortable, I think somebody mentioned leaving them in for 5 hours with no discomfort. I suggest buying replacement foams on ebay, $15 for a set of 10 vs. $30 retail (a pair should last 3-4 weeks.)

Like I said, the E2's are ideal for situations involving lots of movement.

Rads

E2's

I have a pair of E2's on the way, and I'm really looking forward to them. My Apple earbuds don't stay in place for very long.

Rads

I just got the E2's, and they're excellent. Great sound quality and very good isolation, and they really stay put. The foam inserts don't do much for me, though - maybe I'm using them incorrectly, but they seem to muffle the sound.

dmt1

Dismember
Ok, just got upgraditis myself and ordered a pair--doesn't look like the Ety's would be good for what I want them for...

I almost bought the E1's instead, they're lighter, but they just don't look as sturdy or as comfortable--and I've read conflicting reports on how they sound (I've read the highs are too bright for some, and the E2's are supposed to be better in this area. It looks like the ipod would drive the E2's better than the E1's by the spec's as well. Just wish the E2's were as light as the E1's....). And the E1's are downright ugly--look like friggin' hearing aids, although I'd buy them if I thought they'd be better for the gym than the E2's....

Not ready to go hole hog and get the E5's though--$500.00--the same price as my ipod!!

Rads

Yeah, the E1's are just odd-looking to me. And the twisted pair wires look like they'll last a week at the most. The E2's, on the other hand, seem pretty sturdy so far, and I'm really pleased with the sound.

MRQuackers

So you like the E2's better than the sonys and are almost near the er4's? i cant stand the apple buds as they wont stay in and are just uncomfortable to me. if these stay put well and sound good i may consider them. Is guitar center a website or a store? or both? I was going to look for some head band ear phones cause i like i can keep them around my neck. Are there any good quality ones like this?

awesomeipod

How are the E2's in the gym. I switched to a radio headphones because the cord kept catching on one thing or another and pulling the phones out of my ears. And how is the cords length, is it long enough or short enough where it would not enter fear with your work-out. I want to get a new pair buy the 1st of the month. Thanks, Awesome.:cool:

Rads

MRQuackers said:
So you like the E2's better than the sonys and are almost near the er4's? i cant stand the apple buds as they wont stay in and are just uncomfortable to me. if these stay put well and sound good i may consider them. Is guitar center a website or a store? or both? I was going to look for some head band ear phones cause i like i can keep them around my neck. Are there any good quality ones like this?
The E2's stay put because they actually insert into the ear canal. Also, they come with 3 different-sized sleeves, so it's easy to find a pair that fits. They're much more comfortable to me than the Apple earbuds, which always feel like they're about to fall out.

Dunbar

Rancho Ricardo said:
Can someone tell me where I can get those 'ear huggers' mod for Ety ER-4P.

I believe the ones in the picture where taken from a cheap set bought at Radio Shack. It's just a split foam sleeve that's shaped to go over your ear.