Dual USB Port Charging Wall Adapters- Amperage Difference?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

viper69

I wish Apple had a dual USB port wall adapter for charging.

SO I searched on the net and I have noticed that some of these 3rd party brands, will have 2 ports for USB units.

One port will be 2.1 A, and the other is listed as 1.0 A.

What I don't know, what is the required Amperage and Wattage I'll need? The dual chargers I've seen are typically 12 Watts and up.

I'd be charging my iPod Nano below in sig, and iPhone 5s at the same time.

Any knowledge as to what I need, and what ports would be connected to which unit??? Thank in advance

cjmnews

Staff member
Watts = Amps * Volts

So if you have a 2.1 Amps, and it provides the standard USB 5.0 volt power, then that is 10.5 Watts, enough for an iPad, but you could use it for anything.

The other one is 1.0 Amps, at 5 Volts = 5 Watts, which is enough for an iPhone, but not an iPad.

So plug them in either way, and you are good. It only matters if you have an iPad to charge.

viper69

Watts = Amps * Volts

So if you have a 2.1 Amps, and it provides the standard USB 5.0 volt power, then that is 10.5 Watts, enough for an iPad, but you could use it for anything.

The other one is 1.0 Amps, at 5 Volts = 5 Watts, which is enough for an iPhone, but not an iPad.

So plug them in either way, and you are good. It only matters if you have an iPad to charge.
Thanks CJ. I always appreciate your input!

sallenmd

I travel a lot (>12 trips per year) and wanted a single charger to charge more than one device. I found this superb charger at the Brookstone store at the Detroit airport and love it. It has 4 ports with the following amperages: 2.4, 2.1, 1.0 and 1.0. I like having two ports with more than 2 amps each, and 2.4 is particularly fast at charging my iPad Air 2. Fast charging of multiple devices. Worth every penny of the $40 cost to me.

http://www.brookstone.com/4-port-usb-wall-charger