DRM in Audible files?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

potuncle

Website
enjoyingeugene.com
Once I buy an Audible file can I sell it or give it away to friends just like it was a book? Or does the computer that the file is going to be played on need to be authorized just like a song I purchase from iTunes Music Store?

Inferno999

potuncle said:
Once I buy an Audible file can I sell it or give it away to friends just like it was a book? Or does the computer that the file is going to be played on need to be authorized just like a song I purchase from iTunes Music Store?
In short, no -- the file will not play on a machine not activated with a matching userID.

To the best of my knowledge, the file is embedded with encrypted userID information during the download (which is, consequently, why you can only download it with Audible Manager). Then, to play the file, player checks the FILE'S ID and the PC's (or device's, like iPod or eBookMan's) ID. If they match, it continues. If they do not....... tough luck.

There is no known way around this as of now... nor should there be.

One more thing -- Unlike iTunes, Audible Manager does NOT automatically activate your device when you send content to it. Activation is a seperate process. Now, it may ASK you to activate if it's not, but this is still a seperate process, not automatic.

You can have up to 3 devices/PC's activated at one time. Each time you activate or deactivate, Audible's servers are updated. I do NOT know if a device can be activated for more than one user, but it should seem possible (as many family members might use the same pc).