Dock and cases?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

MRQuackers

So I havent seen this brought up but if you have a case over your ipod, to me it looks like you would not be able to use the dock right?

Jester

Website
www.sonicdomain.com
MRQuackers said:
So I havent seen this brought up but if you have a case over your ipod, to me it looks like you would not be able to use the dock right?
Well it really depends on which case you go with and which generation of iPod that you have. If you have a new generation iPod, there are cases that will be coming out that allow for docking.

iamaustin

Website
www.austina.net
I dont see how you would be able to get your ipod into the dock while a case is on it. Im having slight issues with my ipod being in the dock with just WriteRights on :-/

-Austin

Kenny

Super Man
The new Waterfield Cases allow you to keep the case on when the iPod is docked.

BTW, how are you having trouble docking with writerights? Im using the same pda protectors, and everything's fine.:)

kamj12

don't be lazy guys!!!! just take it out from the case and plug it into the dock....!!!:p

Island Roots

destined_wind said:
Yeah, plus, the ipod heats up the most when it is being recharged, therefore, you should take the case OFF when you recharge it.
My iPod is generally plugged in and charging whenever I am home, and it has never ever been hot, not even mildly hot. It even feels cool to the touch...cold enough to make me wonder if I should turn on my lamp on my desk so it can get a little bit warmer.

Kenny

Super Man
I agree. The iPod rarely gets hot when being recharged (unless it's mounted on the computer).

Heat is usually caused by the HDD spinning, which happens when the iPod is mounted on the computer, either for charging or for managing music on the unit itself.

Charging the iPod from a wall outlet, or from the computer when the iPod isnt mounted (for new iPods only), doesnt heat the iPod very much.

iamaustin

Website
www.austina.net
Yeah mine has never gotten hot once. I left mine mounted all night and even then in the morning it was very cool on the back.

PS i was wrong about that case, you can dock with it on, you have to unhook the bottom or something.

MRQuackers

well yeah thats what i meant because it seems like from what i have seen, the dock slot is just big enought for th eipod. good point asbout heat but it seems like thats not an issue now either. i guess ill take "dont be lazy for 200, alex!"

Impulse29

Hmmm... the topic of the post was about cases and docking. . .

Well it really depends on which case you go with and which generation of iPod that you have. If you have a new generation iPod, there are cases that will be coming out that allow for docking.
You cannot put an old iPod into a dock (other than a stand with a normal plug).

I think many of the new cases will have holes on the bottom so you can plug the wire in at least. That would work well I think.

MRQuackers

Well yes the new case should have provisions for the wire itself but now that i have the ipod in hand, i know it would not be possible tgirth wise to have an ipod dock with case on. I did order a case from waterfield design and on thier site they show the case can be shimmied up to fit in the dock. Still as mentione dbefore this might cause heat issues so unless im really lazy one day, i think ill just remove it.

BTW As a first time ipod owner, this thing is awsome. Apple sure knows how to make an appealing product. I mean i was impressed a lot by the packaging alone! The ipod is so intuitive to use too. volume? i just did it, no searching around. thats cool. I cant wait to unlock some of the potential this thing has.
One thing though. the earbuds dont fit my ears well and fall out. especially the right one. im on the search between the fontopias, B&o' or maybe the in the ear ones. hmmm

ibons

MRQuackers said:
Well yes the new case should have provisions for the wire itself but now that i have the ipod in hand, i know it would not be possible tgirth wise to have an ipod dock with case on. I did order a case from waterfield design and on thier site they show the case can be shimmied up to fit in the dock. Still as mentione dbefore this might cause heat issues so unless im really lazy one day, i think ill just remove it.

BTW As a first time ipod owner, this thing is awsome. Apple sure knows how to make an appealing product. I mean i was impressed a lot by the packaging alone! The ipod is so intuitive to use too. volume? i just did it, no searching around. thats cool. I cant wait to unlock some of the potential this thing has.
One thing though. the earbuds dont fit my ears well and fall out. especially the right one. im on the search between the fontopias, B&o' or maybe the in the ear ones. hmmm
actually thanks to the ipod dock's angled design it's actually possible to jack it in with a case on if the materia's not too thick.. that's how a 15 gb and 30gb can share the same dock despite being of different thicknesses.. clever design, hope the case makers will know how to make use of it too.