Create Playlist with dead Tracks

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

tiscover

Hi!

This is my first post in this forum - so here we go:

i need a script who findy the dead tracks in my library and but them all in one playlist. i know theres the mia script with find a tracks and exports them to a txt file, but i cant reimport this textfile into itunes.

jumping from textedit to itunes with more then 180 missing tracks is very tiring ;)

Thanks for help,

tisco

BugMeNot2007

Select all of your tracks and set a "not so useful" field like the BPM field (Beats Per Minute) to the same value, e.g. 1. Then create a smart playlist where the BPM field does not equal 1. If you want to keep this playlist permanently and set the BPM fields back, then select the results in the smart playlist and drag it to a normal playlist, then you can set the values back and delete the smart playlist.

S2_Mac

What you want can't, strictly, be done -- iTunes won't allow scripts (or humans, for that matter) to put dead tracks into a playlist. But, iTunes will allow itself to put dead tracks in a playlist, from which a script can remove non-dead tracks (leaving you with a playlist of dead tracks).

The second-to-last post in this thread describes how to do it (instructions and a script).

Website
www.last.fm
If all you want to do is create a playlist of songs which have no native file, there is a very simple way to do that:

1- Create a regular playlist, not a smart playlist. For this example, call the playlist "Alive".

2- Select all tracks in your main library and drag them into "Alive". Note that "dead" tracks with no native file will not appear in this playlist.

3- Create a smart playlist defined as: Playlist -- Is Not -- Alive. Call this playlist "Dead".

You now have a list of "!" songs which are missing their native files. This won't fix the tracks, but it identifies them for you in case you want to delete them from your library. To do that, select all songs in the "Dead" playlist and press the Shift key as you delete (Option-Delete on a Mac).

Last edited: