Cracked lcd

27spots

If you bought with an Amex card the damage should be covered under their accidental damage and theft guarantee. They'll replace it or refund the cost of purchase.

Good luck!

shixun

Überlounger
teh-cut said:
Well, thats what i get for finally jumping on the apple bandwagon :)

This definetly reminds me of the canon sd camera lcd issues. I'm hoping with so many sold if this is a real issue it will be addressed either voluntary or eventually by force aka class action.
Will the Nano have LCD isssues similar to those of the Canon SD cameras? Only time will tell. If it does, I'm a little concerned because it looks as though Canon has not acknowledged the issue, although they do sell a replacement screen for $66. Interestingly, there is a web page detailing how to replace the screen that features links to free iPod schemes! I expect if this turns out to be a significant issue, someone will start selling replacement Nano LCDs.

From a review of the SD200 posted on Amazon:
smallphi said:
Here's the bad news: the LCD screen is EXTREMELY fragile. I dropped mine from 2 feet high and the camera (not the screen) hit the leg of my chair. Now all I see is a white screen with a dark crack on it. One of the inner LCD plates cracked, not the outside glass plate. The camera still takes pics fine only I don't see anything on LCD. That is NOT covered by the warranty and Canon will want you to pay between $170 and $300 for repair. That is equivalent to buying a new camera! Canon should either stop making such fragile screens or should stop charging so much for such a simple repair - I bought my cam for $230 including taxes and shipping so don't tell me I have to pay 75% of that price to have the LCD replaced.

CanonUSA will sell you the LCD part for about $70 including shipping and I replaced the LCD myself saving $100. Here is a guide how to do it:

cl.cam.ac.uk/users/jo262/broken_lcd_cracked_screen_canon_sd-300_sd-200_ixus-40_ixus-30.html
In the meantime, I am protecting my nano with an aluminum hard case. I hope it is sufficient to prevent the screen from cracking in my pocket.

Last edited:

HawkiPod

Can we try to stay on topic here. For those of you who want to argue with matty please refer to the topic titled "iPod nano is flawed". I would like some advice on what I should do with this problem but this thread is turning in to a battle between matty and everybody else(which we already have a thread for).

HawkiPod

The cheapest repair that i've found was $100. I paid for it on a Visa so I guess I could try calling them. I wasn't aware they could do anything about this.

d-bear

now i'm a little concerned. i wish we could see pictures of all the cracked LCDs to compare which might be user error, and which me be a fluke, and like someone else had alluded to, to see if it's only on the white ones (perhaps only a certain gig, too).

i think it's odd that apple would say something to the effect of "with a launch like this, there are bound to be some problems" (and go figure, i can't find the thread anywhere), and seemingly disregard what could be a rather significant problem.

Bob

Administrator
I have moved this to Problems & Solutions as it a more suitable forum.

Thanks.

Hawk, if you are near an apple store you may want to take it in directly so someone can see it. May have better luck than the phone.

Looking in to see if there is any protection under your credit card is a great idea as well.

Let's all keep this on subject of broken LCDs so the appropriate logic can be applied to this if the needs arise. We need to keep this post clean.

studogvetmed said:
Hawk, if you are near an apple store you may want to take it in directly so someone can see it. May have better luck than the phone.

Looking in to see if there is any protection under your credit card is a great idea as well.

Let's all keep this on subject of broken LCDs so the appropriate logic can be applied to this if the needs arise. We need to keep this post clean.
Hawk, I agree with the above. In general, regardless of the product at issue, it's always better to talk to somebody in person rather than on the phone. If the rep cannot see the product, it's very easy for them to put the blame on you. If the rep has the product in their hand while you explain the story, it always helps. Further, making a plea in person is usually more convincing than doing so over the phone, because the act of going into the store shows that you're serious about it.

Also, I might suggest bringing printouts of the stories on the Apple Discussion forums to demonstrate that yours is not an isolated incident.

If none of that works, try giving your credit card company a call. Since the product is brand new, they might be able to help you out. Some credit card companies offer purchase protection to cover this exact kind of problem. Some offer it as a free service, others require that you pay a yearly fee for this service. You'll have to call your credit card company to find out the benefits they offer.

As a note for all people posting in this thread: please keep it on topic. As Hawk has requested, keep the personal attacks and name-calling out of this thread. We do not want this post to go downhill. Posts not complying with this rule will be removed.

Good luck, Hawk.

v6king

Honestly, I have to admit that I'm somewhat dissapointed with the NANO in some aspects.... I had the nano the first day for 4 hours and it has 10000 scratches... I've tried to get a replacement at my local Applestore, (claiming my battery is acting weird) and they have NO IDEA when they will recieve them again!! I think that they should SELL ALONG WITH THE NANO A PROTECTOR SLIDE IN CASE like the PSP. I've called APPLESTORE on the phone and I WAS EXTREMELY UNHAPPY WITH THE SERVICE THEY GAVE ME - IMO APPLE will never be what it used to be...!!!!!!

I DON'T THINK THESE PICS COULD BE REAL.. the NANO disectomy proved otherwise... check it out.
::JP

Last edited:

xenious

While I've not had this issue I did take a close look at my nano and the plastic that covers the screen is thin and has a 'give' to it. Although there is a large gap between it and the LCD I suspect with enough pressure it could flex and damage the LCD. Bummer. Time to get another nano distruction test to push on the plastic over the display and see if they can break the LCD ahha.

stik fig

I broke two iPod screens...just took it back to the store and replaced them...as long as its within their return policy time frame...

HawkiPod

I finally got ahold of smeone at apple that could help me and he told me that they would probably replace it. He said that if they don't see any sign of abuse they will send us a new one. I'll keep you updated on whether or not they actually do replace it.

HawkiPod said:
I finally got ahold of smeone at apple that could help me and he told me that they would probably replace it. He said that if they don't see any sign of abuse they will send us a new one. I'll keep you updated on whether or not they actually do replace it.
Yes, please be sure to let us know what they do.

marioj13

I have a 3G 30 GB ipod and a new nano. I am a UPS driver. I have dropped my 3G on the steel floors inside our trucks, had 60 pound boxes press it into my chest, subjected it to rain(okay light rain) and it's been running strong for 2 years now. I've used my nano for about 5 hours a day since the day after it was announced under the same conditions. I haven't had the slightest problem and I'm not worried about it. The stress test said they "we dropped it from was approximately 9ft" and then the screen acted up. Having it in your pocket and dropping it from 9 ft. are completely different things.

handletom

My Nano's LCD screen broke

I just wanted to say that my iPod Nano's screen cracked.

Before you accuse me of being a monster who treats his Nano like a monkey treats a Samsonsite bag --don't.

I did not:
Drop, Fold, Throw, Spindle, Juggle, Microwave, Scuba Dive, Drag Behind My Car, Kick, Taunt, BBQ, Freeze, Slam in a door, take on the bumper cars, have a blanket party, slam dance with lumberjacks, or insert into any body cavity.

I believe that if Apple shows the CEO with the Nano in his pocket that that act gives the impression that normal usage of a Nano can be: in your pocket, around your neck, on the desk, on your belt, in your hand. Or they could emphasize that the Nano is a pretty as a Faberge Egg--- and as delicate.

If your screen is broken now and you did not damage it yourself please post in this thread.
Damage you caused yourelf can be dropping, sitting upon (esp. if your butt is angular), kicking, Wiffle batting, etc. If you had it in your pocket on a trampoline or you were blindfolder and forced to run through a sugar cane field while being chased by a coyote then you are not eligible to post in this thread.

If you want to attack people who are disrespectful to the Nano post here: episteme.arstechnica.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/174096756/m/683006925731/r/683006925731

If you want to attack me as a monster - don't. Go kick your dog, beat your wife or set a homeless person on fire instead. You sadist.

I wanted to post in the previous thread but the amount of attacks in that one had the thread closed due to the large amount of blaming the poster.

teski

Well did you call Apple or take it back to the store? Having others post replies won't do much. I agree that if they advertise having it in a pocket without protection, then they are giving the impression that it's okay to do.

Hope you get it taken care of.

Teski

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
People aren't put off by problems, in fact, we want to know. People are put off by the language used. So just give us the facts, hold in the emotions, then we'll be fine.

handletom

I have no idea how it happened. I noticed it after a sync. I do not think it broke in my pocket. I do not know how it broke. It is truly a mystery to me.

I bought it a a local store and they will not accept a return. Apple will not either. There is a small possibility that Apple may replace it if I call a certain number and talk to someone who has the ability to approve a replacement. I do not think they will since I did not buy it at an Apple store.

handletom

bobb-mini said:
People aren't put off by problems, in fact, we want to know. People are put off by the language used. So just give us the facts, hold in the emotions, then we'll be fine.
Yes sir!