computer speakers played through headphone jack?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Chesterthepickl

I found out yesterday that my old computer speakers plugged right into the headphone jack of my ipod and I was wondering if this was okay for my ipod. The quality is good and everything I just really need to know if it will harm my ipod. pleez help

melsmusic

I don't think it would do any harm as it's just sending the source out .. not in.

If you have concerns you could use the line out feature of a dock.

melsmusic

I still think it's OK because I plug speakers directly into my ipod and that's just using the headphone socket. It's not like it's sending any frequencies into your ipod so I wouldn't worry. They sell many types of speakers that you plug directly into the ipod so I cannot imagine computer speakers being any different. I would use them without worrying.

melsmusic

No worries .. have fun. I have had heaps of fun plugging my ipod into so many different speakers/ pillow speakers you name it .. and it's amazing how much you can do with them. I use the line out on my dock for my large stereo system because it's got an amp etc and you can then use the remote of the stereo versus using the ipod's volume.

thiswho

as long as the speakers are self powered, it is fine. If not, it can cause a huuuuge drain on the battery

kloan

SSMoy
I've plugged in speakers into the headphone port, unpowered speakers, and it didn't drain the battery too much. They actually sounded pretty decent too.. they were from an old G3 iMac, I just modified the wires to use a 1/8" jack.

AFireInside

It works.. I use headphone to RCA Converters and you cant screw anything up as long as you dont run something out into your iPod..

If the currents are too high then you can fry your audio jack.. ;)

jckidz

I've always use a computer speaker (CREATIVE) to play my ipods at home. It delivers superb sound compared to the sound docks available out there. It is cheap as well ($40-Australian dollar).

jaxx

Website
www.jaxxd.com
make sure the speakers them selves act as an amp, such as, if it has a wire coming from the outlet on the wall... this means it has an external power source, it just amplifies the sound... similar to high-output sub woofers in cars... the head unit is usually only 50W per speaker, subs can be upto somewhere like 1200W, thats why you need an amplifier.

HTH
-jaxx

toryman76

hi

i have two home made speakers that i have removed from an old car and i have just put a headphone jack on the end without using an amplifier and just plug it directly into the ipod. now is this what you are saying by too much current because these speakers a largish? because im not to sure if this is harming my ipod or not....??

cheers toryman76

melsmusic

If you are worried why not get a dock. Its a cheap solution for a great line out feature and you can charge the ipod at the same time.

schmintan

Never bloody happy!
no it will not hurt your ipod. most pc speakers have their own power suply, they wouldnt be much of a speaker if they were relying on the power that comes out the stero jack on the sound card of a pc, so they wont drain your battery any more than headphones. pc speakers are built for such things, as are many stereos, that have a stereo to phono cable so you can plug your ipod/cd player/ minidisc player or whatever into it and listen to it. this is a crazy thread. its absolutely obvious that pc speakers will play sound from an audio player and not harm it.

Otop

Website
www.myspace.com
It all depends, I really reccomed just getting regular computer speakers. They plug into the wall and into your ipod no harm done. Now if the power is being used from the ipod to the speakers that might mess it up!

Jets

Website
www.sportzoneengadine.com.au
I just got a new Dell PC and the self powered speakers that came with it were just ok - I am using my surround sound speakers from my old PC - however, when I plugged the new Dell speakers into the power and into the iPod headphone jack - bingo ! Instant mini stereo for my son's bedroom!

steve_dirschel

Can anyone recommend a decent speaker that you can use with both your pc and ipod? I currently have speakers on my computer that require power from my monitor. They don't work with my ipod. I have another set of computer speakers that require no power but the volumn is not very loud when I hook them up to the ipod. I'm looking for something that would run off battery (so I can hook up to my ipod when outside without needing a power adapter) but also have a power adapter so when hooked up to my pc they don't drain the battery. I just got back from Besy Buy and the speakers they had for the ipod (designed for the ipod where the unit sits in the dock) did not have an adapter to allow them to be connected to the computer (at least that's what the sales rep said).

Thanks