compressing audiobooks for shuffle

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

scamperwillow

I just got a new (old) shuffle. It is the 512 Meg model. Can someone tell me how I can compress audiobooks off a CD to make more of them fit on the shuffle? I am going on a long trip and would like to fit several books if possible.
thanks,
MArty

cjmnews

Staff member
Well, unless they are short audio books, you're not going to get much on an iPod that small.

Importing at Podcast quality will reduce the size quite well. Since you are not using a Mini or a 5G you can most likely import as Mono instead of Stereo to reduce the size even more.

That's about all you can do.

scamperwillow

Importing at Podcast quality works great - I didn't know where to find that option but now know that in Preferences, Advanced, then click on Importing, you can set setting to Spoken Podcast and that make the files much smaller.

the other thing I just learned is in the iTunes window, click Settings at the top of the window and click Convert higher bit rate songs to 128 kbps. that made the songs in my shuffle smaller so I could fit more in. Hope this is helpful to future searchers.