Classic adapter into lightning connector

freddyuk

I have a music player Ipod dock which now have a male lighting connector to mount the Ipod /Iphone.
There are adapters for older classic ipods with 30 pin connector but I heard some do not work.
Any advice on a female lightning adapter to Ipod classic 30gb please? I think it is beat to use a lead to take stress off the connector so either option I am looking for ......

cjmnews

Staff member
I don't think those really exist. Yes I have found a part that matches your description, but it does not handle audio/video or older operating systems. It is only good for charging or syncing.

I believe that Apple intended that these types of converters were not really possible to make. If you logically look at it, there are only 8 pins on the Lightning Connector, and 30 on the legacy connector, so that would mean the converter would need internal logic to handle the mapping of the various pins on the fly.

You are not going to find the type of converter you want. You might be able to use a headphone jack solution instead of that connector, like an Android phone has to do.

cjmnews

Staff member
Or find other uses for it. I have been using my iPod Color as a music system with my receiver to play music on outdoor speakers for a decade. I have 2-30 pin iPods on older iPod clocks for alarms. Just need to use them to the best of their ability.

freddyuk

I did buy an adapter that says charges classic Ipod but it does not charge it or play through it. When I connect my Ipod to the adapter it goes into "do not disconnect" mode and you cannot play anything as it is then locked?? Is that correct. My wifes later model classic seems to charge as the battery legend is flashing away but this morning it was dead so had not been charging at all!

cjmnews

Staff member
There are many product that only work with a small number of devices. You have one that only works with newer classics.

You will need to use the apple cable for charging yours.