Car audio functionality

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

BigBohn

Hi,

I've recently become intrigued with the prospect of carrying all my CDs on a portable device and be able to integrate it in my car audio system as well as personal headphone use. I've also recently settled upon purchasing one of the new iPod 30 gb for my WinXP computer.

My question is will the iPod be of decent sound quality in a direct line input situation w/ 2 channels? Low sound degradation compared to that of tape deck or fm transmitter? Do I run off the headphone line out or direct line out or what? Are there cables available right now to do what I'm wanting to do here? Thanks for any and all input I can get for this will be the principle buying factor for my purchase tommorow. Thanks!

LagunaSol

Doing a line out from the headphone jack to a direct RCA input on a car stereo should sound great. I can't yet speak from experience, but am about to purchase a aux line adapter for my 2000 Passat. Check here:

http://www.rcainput.com

You may be lucky enough to have a head unit that already offers a mini jack on the front or RCA inputs on the back and won't have to rely on a $70 adapter like I do.

7500 songs at your fingertips in the car? That's what I'm talking about! :D

bluecamel

Website
www.bluecamel.com
My factory CD deck is crapping out on me and I'm looking for a new one that plays MP3 discs but also has RCA inputs for my iPod. Can anyone recommend a nice one for me? Oh, and it's for a GM car (Pontiac Bonneville) so I need the large GM deck.

Thanks!

Branton

Doc Holiday

I have a Dodge so I have the same problem you do with the size. The probelm is all the DIN and 1/2 decks aren't that great. I just got a new Alpine 9813 and it works and looks very nice in the DIN and 1/2 opening. Just make sure you get a good dash kit.

BigBohn

Thanks for the advice, LagunaSol. Looks like direct line in w/2 channels from headphone output into RCA on dash deck will be tolerable in terms of sound quality and functionality. Thanks again.

donzz

I'm glad i'm not the only one thinking about getting a car audio system that will connect to my Ipod! I've seen a few of them at crutchfield.com! Can you imagine all those songs at your finger tips? I can hardly stand it!:D

jminio

I have used my old iPod in my car to a aux line in for awhile now and it works great. The sound is very good. I have been going from the headphone jack to the aux in on my radio.I have a new 30GB iPod now but my car cord does not work with it. Belkin is going to have a car charger that take advantage of the line out on the new iPod's, I think that will be the way to go when it becoms available. :)

iamaustin

Website
www.austina.net
I have used both line in (via RCA) and also Wireless FM (no tape deck so I cant try that). I would recommend RCA over fm much more. RCA gives you a cleaner signal, and also is more practical than finding new radio stations every now and then. It is worth it to buy a headunit with an optional aux input on the back and get an adapter, than to buy an FM transmitter.

By the way, im using my aux inputs from a kenwood 911dvd player head unit (7" touchscreen too). It sounds great, but I cant wait till my Belkin charger gets here, it was shipped on the 9th.

MidPack

Car audio

Don't feel bad about thinking iPod in your car. I bought a Honda Element a few months ago, and the fact that it comes standard with a mini-plug and 12V charger on the dash just for MP3 players was a factor (no, not the only one) in my decision to buy the Element. I have all my CD's with me at work, in the car or portable now thanks to iPod...

Jeff3F

MidPack, you've only got one problem. Your new-style iPod uses a proprietary connection for DC power.

While a cradle is a great idea, I am glad that I have the old-style iPod because it has a standard fire-wire jack.

Still, someone makes an in-dash cradle and they're golden--you pop the iPod into the dash of your car, and it's wired into the deck via aux, and that would be a very sweet solution. Lots of people would want to but that.

Especially for people with extra room in the dash (I have a Camaro with the 1.5.DIN).

Jeff3F

Wolfman200

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy a new face with an input for an apline stereo? The car that I might be using when I can drive (very soon) has an Alpine aftermarket stereo, and I don't want to buy a new one. To tell you the truth, I'll probably get an iTrip, but if this is possible for a reasonable price, I'll probably get it eventually.

MidPack

MidPack, you've only got one problem. Your new-style iPod uses a proprietary connection for DC power.
Jeff3F
Belkin already has a car charger for the new iPod with the new plug...

joy_division

I have the Alpine 9807. Just got it last week in my Satirn Ion 3. Got the added optional RCA input and plugged the iPod into it. Works fine. Have to keep the iPod on max volume, but otherwise, it's perfect. Best car stereo in it's price range. PLays MP3 CD's, with full random funtionality. search by folder or by song.

time2switch

Robot In Disguise
Website
members.shaw.ca
I have a quick quesiton... I want to use the Ipod in my car as well. I am going to buy a MP3/CD deck with an AUX IN on the front of the deck. Probably the JVC KD-SH707... this thing looks tight .. hehe :D (http://www.jvc.ca/en/consumer/product-detail.asp?model=KD-SH707)

Anyway, sorry for being dumb :eek: , but I don't know the name of the cable that I need to hook up the Ipod (from the headphone jack) to the AUX IN on the deck. Is it just a RCA cable?

I know I can probably goto Radio Shack and pick it up, but I not sure what it's called.

Can anyone lend me some guidance? Thanx

ps. go Lake show!!!

jminio

time2switch said:
I have a quick quesiton... I want to use the Ipod in my car as well. I am going to buy a MP3/CD deck with an AUX IN on the front of the deck. Probably the JVC KD-SH707... this thing looks tight .. hehe :D (http://www.jvc.ca/en/consumer/product-detail.asp?model=KD-SH707)

Anyway, sorry for being dumb :eek: , but I don't know the name of the cable that I need to hook up the Ipod (from the headphone jack) to the AUX IN on the deck. Is it just a RCA cable?

I know I can probably goto Radio Shack and pick it up, but I not sure what it's called.

Can anyone lend me some guidance? Thanx

ps. go Lake show!!!

It depends on what jack your stereo has for the AUX IN. If it has RCA connectors you need a cable with male RCA connectors on one end and a stereo mini plug on the other end. If the stereo has a stereo mini jack in it you will need a cable with a male stereo mini plug on each end. You can get either one at Radio Shack :)

mike1966

Experienced Member
Aftermarket Alpine Car System Help Needed

Any car stereo techs out there... I to have an aftermarket Alpine stereo with no mini or rca jacks available. The cables for the Alpine stereos mentioned here look like they would work for me, but i already have a CD changer in my car connected to that Ai-Net 8pin connector. I have the tech papers for my system (installed 5 yrs ago) and from what I can make out there's not much I can do.

Might there be a switch box (or something) I could install to switch from using my cd changer to my iPod and back? looking for options... other than buying a new stereo. Thanks. :confused:

Audioboxer

War All The Time
I have the jvc kd-sh707 in my car. I just hook up the ipod to the aux inupt on the front with a male/male stereo cable and it works great.