Best earbuds under 100$

Ignodium

Hello, I was looking for earbuds (because I don't really like apples) and I was hoping to spend under a hundred dollars (but I suppose I am willing to go over).

I use Ministry of Sound IXOS dj1003 headphones at home, and they annihilate the apple earbuds, and after using the ixos headphones for so long I simply cant stand to listen to these earbuds. I was wondering if there were any earbuds to give me a similar expirience.

Kenny

Super Man
For earbuds:
1. You might be able to find Shure E2's for under $100.
2. Sony EP888SL are also very good
3. Sennheiser MX400/500 sound great, but arent the most comfortable of buds.
4. Sony EX70/71's are comfortable, and provide excellent isolation, but dont sound as good as the above 3.

Sam Williams

Good points by Kenny... I'll add my spin:

If any of your common listening environments are noisy, or if you plan to listen in sessions of >1 hour in length, I'd say you couldn't do better than the MDR-EX71SL in white.

Cosmetically, the 71s are ideal for the iPod, the comfort and isolation are wonderful, and the sound quality is very good. Their shortcomings are greatly reduced by this mod.

The 70s/71s are sometimes criticised for their quality. 'Sound quality' is fine in a silent environment, but most of the time, you've got to consider background noise. If one plug lets in 15dB more background than another, it's going to do a far worse job of presenting your music to you as it's meant to be heard. All just common sense, of course, but many people seem to overlook it in choosing plugs.

As for obtaining them in white, there are plenty of reputable Asia-based dealers on eBay selling them for ~US$45 now; you should be able to pick up a pair without problems.

Ignodium

Are the sony's talked about in the last post the same ones that a reviewed at gear.ign.com and are sold at minidisco for 50$? IGN could not stop raving about them, and they said it had an incredible bass sound (which is one of my concerns, as most earbuds deliver too much trebel and not enough bass).

If so, are these only imported, or are they available in the U.S.? The ones at minidisco.com are labled mdr-ex70lp, and I didnt know if the LP was something different or what.

Kenny

Super Man
LP= Long cord
SP= short cord (remote friendly), comes with an extension cord also.

I believe that the new EX71's are now available in the US. Previous EX70's were only in Japan, but seeing how they're in the Canadian Sony store now (out of stock though), they should also be available in the US.

And yes, the EX70/71's are very very bass heavy (if you like it that way).

BTW, I refer to the EX70's and EX71's as the same because unless Im otherwise mistaken, they just differ in appearnce. The Specs are the same though.

benklop

I bought Etymotic ER-6s over at Head-fi.com for about 90 shipped (they were slightly used but in excellent condition). They are EXCELLENT. From what I've heard significantly better than Shure E2s. I have not heard the E888s but the general consensus over at Head-fi is that ER-6 is the best set of 'buds for this range.

Kenny

Super Man
True the ety er6's are definately better then any Sony E888's, but you cant get it for under $100 new.

However if he is willing to purchase used earbuds, then I guess the er6's are the best you can get.

benklop: I dont suppose you're interested in clipons or headphones are you? Because that opens a whole new set of doors.

Shoplifter

Ignodium said:
If so, are these only imported, or are they available in the U.S.? The ones at minidisco.com are labled mdr-ex70lp, and I didnt know if the LP was something different or what.

Beware Minidisco...the order I received from them was open and used stock.

dmt1

Dismember
The Ety-6/Shure E2 comparison is highly subjective--check out headfi.org for example. While a majority would probably pick the E6's, it's not an overwhelming majority, and most over at headfi seem to think the two are fairly close....

One thing--I have the Ety 4P's, which I love, with the new braided cord which is supposed to get rid of the microphonic problem--same cord as the Ety 6's--and the microphonics are still an issue. For this reason, with the Ety 6's and Shure's being relatively close in quality, I'd go with the Shure's over the Ety's, if you're going to use them for physical activity. Otherwise, I'd strongly recommend trying both out prior to buying--they have different sound profiles, and you may prefer one over the other...

Either is a significant improvement over the EX's, and if sound quality is critical to you, definitely worth the extra dough IMHO.

olimorgan

Sony MDR-EX71SLB Fontopia Headphones, i've just got some after reading the forums and asking questions and they're great for only ?24 UK