Belkin FM Transmitter

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

irjason

I got the Belkin FM transmitter today. I ordered it with my Ipod, but it came first. So I went ahead and tried it out with my portable cd player. It definately does not sound as good as hardwired, but it is better than I expected. I would compare the sound quality to that of a weak radio station. There is a little static that you can hear, but it's not unbearable. Only one of the 4 available stations was free in my area. Two of the others had blead over from another station. The transmitter was able to overcome this fairly well. Really I'm suprised at how well it works after reading all the negative reviews for other devices like it. I would say for the money and versatility it gives the Ipod it's worth purchasing. Especailly if you have multiple vehicles without cassette decks, or line in.

Island Roots

My first car (should be getting it this summer) had better have line in so I can avoid all this stuff...

Septus

anyone had any experience comparing different FM transmitters? I tried the Irock model, and was pretty disappointed. At it's best, it wsa most certainly worth it, but a good 70% of the time I was getting a ton of static coming in on the two best radio stations, I'm sure this would be fine for a small town with little in the way of stations, but alas, I don't live in a small town.

Jester

Website
www.sonicdomain.com
I picked up the Belkin FM Transmitter this week and have been happy with it. My expectation was really not that high, so it was nice to be suprised. The overall performance has been acceptable. There are times when the signal comes in and out, but it is not enough to make a difference. I live in Houston (fourth largest city in the US), so I actually expected more problems. Looking forward to iTrip when it comes out. It will be nice to compare the two products.

Last edited:

Wolfman200

This site and ipoding.com both gave the Griffin iTrip great reviews. Ipoding even said that it sounded better than a tape deck adapter!

sluggrits

Belkin FM transmitter

I bought the Belkin Tunecast FM transmitter to use with my new Ipod. It works fine on all 4 frequencies in downtown/suburban Chicago. However, there is an EXTREMELY annoying high-frequency background noise. It sounds somewhat like a whistling tea kettle and is driving me crazy!!! This noise is definitely not related to the Ipod, because changing the volume on the Ipod doesn't affect it. It's not my car stereo, because I tested it on a friend's car as well. For loud songs, the noise gets covered up, but for quiet songs or classical music, it's very bothersome. Anybody have the same experience? Do other vendors' FM transmitters have the same problem?

Zed

Justin Hancock said:
My first car (should be getting it this summer) had better have line in so I can avoid all this stuff...
I'd be more worried about the specific stereo than the car. Either way, unless you buy one of those ugly Honda things, it won't.

The easy way to get around it is to buy an Aux-in adapter for your stereo. They're usually about $70-80. For some reason no one thinks of using them, but they're really not complicated to get or install.

Sabon

Zed said:
I'd be more worried about the specific stereo than the car. Either way, unless you buy one of those ugly Honda things, it won't.

The easy way to get around it is to buy an Aux-in adapter for your stereo. They're usually about $70-80. For some reason no one thinks of using them, but they're really not complicated to get or install.
Jed - Please e-mail with a link to where to find a good Aux-In adapter. Thanks. My e-mail address is [email protected]

chicagoipod

Re: Belkin FM transmitter

sluggrits said:
I bought the Belkin Tunecast FM transmitter to use with my new Ipod. It works fine on all 4 frequencies in downtown/suburban Chicago. However, there is an EXTREMELY annoying high-frequency background noise. It sounds somewhat like a whistling tea kettle and is driving me crazy!!!
I'm in Chicago also and have had the exact same disappointing experience with the Belkin transmitter. I'm also very disappointed with the sound quality with the iCable hooked up to my home stereo...beginning to doubt iPod's ability to sound good other than through headphones...

twanj

Website
www.justablip.co.uk
kinda poo, kinda goo

my friend just gave me a belkin transmitter last night. it sounds great while I'm driving around in the neighborhood. once I get on I-95 (the highway) it sounds like crap!

once there it turns into sounding like a radio station that isn't tuned in right. someone said it might be due to the engine running harder but I was driving 60 off the highway & no noise. maybe the radio stations are stronger on the highway? later at night I was driving on it & the audio quality wasn't too bad.

I'd be very disappointed if I spent $30 on this.

bugaboo

I live in Singapore.
I've used the belkin for about 2 months before i received the itrip yesterday. I didn't have major problems with it both on neighbourhood roads and on the highway at all. So I don't think its got to do with the engine running harder.
I could only use it effectively on 1 of the 4 preset frequencies. Other than periodic interference, its quite acceptable really.
I've noticed that once the battery starts getting older, the reception/transmission deteriorates.

Compared with the i trip, I noticed that the itrip is "louder". The volume set to the same on the ipod, transmitting via the itrip results in a higher net volume on the radio set versus the belkin.

trinity

Wolfman200 said:
This site and ipoding.com both gave the Griffin iTrip great reviews. Ipoding even said that it sounded better than a tape deck adapter!
That's easy to say because tape deck converter IS NOT A DIRECT LINK. ;)

twanj

Website
www.justablip.co.uk
wow...after using this for a few days

ITS S H I T E

even at its best, the bass is all muffled & distorted. I'm not a stickler for sound quality but I want it to at least sound as good as a semi in tune radio station after I've ripped a bunch of cds to AAC.

the crappy sounding bass is painful esp if you listen to alot of dub, electronic, or bass.