Belkin Car Charger with Audio for iPods w/Dock

contagion

Is anyone else having a really hard time finding any place that has these in stock?? I tried to place an order at ClubMac.com and they say they are backordered till July!!

WOW.

Must be a popular item.

I'm not sure they are available yet. I just checked the Apple Store, and they say they are not shipping for 2 - 3 weeks.

Many (if not all) of the accessories for the new iPods are not available yet, including cases, since the new iPods are so, well, new. ;)

Tom

contagion

tntracy said:
I'm not sure they are available yet. I just checked the Apple Store, and they say they are not shipping for 2 - 3 weeks.

Many (if not all) of the accessories for the new iPods are not available yet, including cases, since the new iPods are so, well, new. ;)

Tom
Yeah, I guess that makes sense!

Sad story for me... When I got my 30 GB iPod, I called my "local" Apple Store (in Tampa, FL) and asked if they had the new Belkin car chargers for the new iPods... "Yes we do!" So I drove (about an hour) only to get there and ask "Do you have the new Belkin car chargers for the new iPods?" Guess what my response was? As if you have to! "No, we don't." *sigh*

Oh well, such is life right? or the opposite of death?

I like the audio running from the charger... looks like a good feature to me!

contagion said:
Yeah, I guess that makes sense!

Sad story for me... When I got my 30 GB iPod, I called my "local" Apple Store (in Tampa, FL) and asked if they had the new Belkin car chargers for the new iPods... "Yes we do!" So I drove (about an hour) only to get there and ask "Do you have the new Belkin car chargers for the new iPods?" Guess what my response was? As if you have to! "No, we don't." *sigh*

<snip>
Well, that was a bummer! :mad:

Yeah, I am looking forward to the new accessories hitting the streets myself. I need a playthrough case, an extra FW --> Dock cable to leave in my desk at work for charging there, a car charger, and that spare battery pack looks pretty cool, too. :)

BTW, Welcome to iPodlounge!

Tom

LagunaSol

Not yet available?

This from the Belkin website:

This product is not yet available. Please check back soon for updates on availability of this and other products Belkin has in development. Or become a registered user and you will automatically receive updates on all Belkin product releases.
I would like a product like this that offered some sort of cradle attached to the charger, much like the Transpod, only without the crappy FM transmitter and far less bulky. Heck, take the Apple dock and stick it directly to the cigarette lighter plug, giving it some way to tilt and twist. That's what I need. I don't want a long cable solution like the Belkin offers.

SamHain

I also preordered from apple and they siad mine shipped on the 9th, I ordered it around the 4th or 5th. Should be here early this week! :p

Joe

Oooh... please post a reviews when you get them. Anyone recommend an in-dash receiver that has a mini-plug input for the line-out? These new belkins do have line-out, right?

SamHain

Yes, they have an AMPLIFIED line out, which may add a little punch to things. I'll let you know how it goes

iamaustin

Apple is shippping it. They shipped mine on the 9th. The order was for the belkin car charger with audio and came to a total of 0.00. With tax (6% of 0) and shipping (0), a grand total of 0 was charged. :)

Heh anyway, I'll let you know about how it goes. I need to make my one power outlet in the car into 2. Im left in quite a dilemma seing as how I can't live without good music in my car (ipod) and also being able to speed like crazy (radar detector). What is a man to do :-/

BTW I really like my headunit, it is very sexy :)

Kenwood 911DVD Player (7" touchscreen) (plus an av box)

-Austin

Last edited:

MRQuackers

I also saw the belkin site and then went to apple which had the less lead time so i thought i was proredering from apple on the 9th becaus eit said shipps in 2-3 weeks. imagine my delight to recieve the email that it was shipping the 10th! picked up at 5:11 pm by airborne with 2 day delivery( $3 more). im hoping it comes monday or tuesday. wont matter to much considering my ipod is supposed to be here monday also. 8 hours to charge and fiddle with, i will not be needing the car charger for a while. ill start working on the audio connection in the back though. :)

MRQuackers

Well I got the charger today! IT seems very nice! It was almost here yesterday but the airborne truck didn't make it here in time so it just rode around with the truck all day:(
But today it got some friends like my car holder i got from memory X which i only ordered sunday! All across the country. not bad.
Ah but don't envy me as I have been told my ipod was held up due to all the tornadoes in the midwest and may not get it till friday. :( Plus i have had other order woes like my flashlight that I ordered march 31st is finnally coming this week. they heldthe one due to another item on backoreder but i get free shipping when that comes in.
So today I set up my holder and drove around with my ipod brochure all folded to actual size sitting in the holder. :) what made me feel bad is I stopped at Best Buy and they had 3 30 gb and a bunch of 10's. They even had an old 10 or two. 15's all sold out. Ah well.
Also I ran my stereo connection but dont think my stereo will recoginize a random line in. it can be used as a tv tuner, cd/md changer controller and even had the optional remote possibilitie. However it is from 98 ( a sony 580) so if I want tunes wired in my vehicle i need a new headunit. :(
Ok so now i just need the ipod to come and for iskins to release their case.
Oh so more info on the charger when i get the ipod in.

BTW if anyone wants to host 6 640 x 480 pics and maybe 1 1632 x 1224 let me know and ill send them email. id say out of those, there are three worth showing definitely too. if interested, pm me.

Last edited:

ipodoug

Does anyone know if the Belkin Car Charger has to be plugged into the cigarette lighter for the audio-out to work?

kamj12

jminio said:
i ordered mine yesterday as of today the est ship date is 6/3. Guess i will be waiting awhile :(
I ordered mine just now at apple online, it'd take 7-10 days, so end of next week?!

Wired

The Central Scrutinizer
Does anyone know if the Belkin Car Charger has to be plugged into the cigarette light

ipodoug,
Yes, the car adapter has to be pluged in for the amplifier to work. I'm not sure why you would want to use the audio out jack on the adapter when it's not plugged in?

ipodoug

Re: Does anyone know if the Belkin Car Charger has to be plugged into the cigarette light

Wired said:
ipodoug,
Yes, the car adapter has to be pluged in for the amplifier to work. I'm not sure why you would want to use the audio out jack on the adapter when it's not plugged in?
I want to light a smoke while listening to music, don't want the extra drain on my car battery while parked at the beach listening to music, ipod's already fully charged...

Why do we need another amplifier, my car stereo amp should do just fine? I don't mean to be over-critical, just asking the questions:)

Wired

The Central Scrutinizer
Good point with the smokes...;)
Okay here's how I figure this works: The iPod's volume adjustment is set to 50% and disabled when the dock connector is plugged in. This means that you have to adjust the volume using your car stereo's amp. Now, if you're switching from, say, your car's CD changer to the tape player (i.e. I am using a cassette adapter), chances are that the stereo's volume level is off somewhat- too loud or too low. That's where the amp in the car adapter helps out. I set mine once and haven't needed to adjust it again since then.

Last edited:

SpacemanSp1ff

Got my adapter 4 days after I ordered it from Apple. It works great. In fact I have a pretty cool setup in my car. I dismantled the center console in my Honda Accord and wired in my iPod connections. I have a P.I.E. CD-Changer/AUX converter that alows me to use the CD-Changer input on my stereo for line-in. I also wired in a second cigarette/12V socket under the console. So, I have my Belkin adapter plugged into the second socket and the line-out plugged into my stereo via the adapter. Then I ran the dock connector into the console armrest. Everything is hidden from view. So now, I just get in my car, open the armrest and plug in my iPod. It starts chargin and I can play my iPod directly through the stereo. It's wonderful. I also attach the iPod remote and run it out of the armrest so I can skip through tracks. I'll post some pictures if I get around to taking some.