Backup Burning Error

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

sillyberry

I have been trying to backup my music onto CDs through iTunes, but keep getting an error message that says "The attempt to burn a disc failed. An unknown error occurred (2615)."

I can then retry or go to the next disc burn. Retrying does not fix the problem. So far I have been able to backup about half of my music (4 CDs), but the other 4 I need to burn give me this error message.

The only advice I can find about this error suggests upgrading from 7.3, but I am already using the latest version of iTunes (7.3.2.6). I am burning onto Memorex CD-R discs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

cjmnews

Staff member
Apple will ask you to try different discs. If one fails put it to the side and use another.

sillyberry

By "different discs" do you mean a different brand? Because I have tried retrying with blank discs many times to no avail, and now have a stack of ten ruined discs to my four successful ones.

Thanks!

StephenDest

I have a similar problem sillyberry, only i get an error code 2131 and i havent been able to burn any of my music for weeks, i have a brand new computer with windows vista home, my account is authorized, ive tried different discs, and i went through all the options in that troubleshooting article,
giving up hope here :eek:

cjmnews

Staff member
Steven:
There's no information on error 2131 on apple's support site, but on their discussion site it seems that this error started occurring with 7.3 and continues through 7.4.1 and typically happens on Dell Inspiron laptops with DVD drives.

Their solution is to roll back to 7.2. You can find this on filehippo.com or oldversion.com.
Some have reported that this does not work. Others have said that using CD-RW to burn from iTunes, then use other software to change to CD-R works.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=4981580&#4981580
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=4915876&#4915876
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=5320705&#5320705

Good luck

StephenDest

Finally

Wooohooo i can finally burn,
Thank you CJ for those links to the other posts :) , i read the one which said to try a cd-rw and that worked, it takes awhile to burn one album but at this point im celebrating and not complaining. A quick question though, why do i have to reburn the cd-rw, wont it be able to play in my car cd player? And if i do have to reburn the cd, what software should i use.
And I would tell anyone out there not to get a dell computer, my next one i think is gonna be a mac.
Now who says you only burn in hell ...
Thanks again CJ, and on my birthday no less :)

Last edited:

MuleyGraves

Same problem with error 2615

I have been having the same problem with this error code.

I installed ITunes 8.0.2.20 about 3 weeks ago and have since burned many data discs and imported many an audio disc without a hitch. In fact, prior to attempting to burn a data disc this evening, I successfully imported an audio disc onto my computer. But now, for some frustratingly unknown reason, I can no longer burn a data disc thanks to the 2615 error code.

I have rebooted my computer and installed ITunes to no avail. Here is the information from the diagnostics test that I ran just a moment ago:

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (Build 2600)
Dell Inc. Inspiron 1501
iTunes 8.0.2.20
QuickTime 7.5.5
FairPlay 1.1.11
CD Driver 2.0.7.5
CD Driver DLL 2.1.1.1
Apple Mobile Device 2.1.2.7
Bonjour 1.0.5.11 (118.5)

iTunes Serial Number F5B6ECE154994617

Current user is an administrator.
The current local date and time is 2009-02-06 19:45:05.
iTunes is not running in safe mode.

Video Display Information

ATI Radeon Xpress 1150

**** External Plug-ins Information ****

No external plug-ins installed.

**** CD/DVD Drive Tests ****

LowerFilters: PxHelp20 (2.0.0.0),
UpperFilters: GEARAspiWDM (2.0.7.5),

D: SONY CDRWDVD CRX880A, Rev KD09
Audio CD in drive.
Found 7 songs on CD, playing time 76:38 on Audio CD.
Track 1, start time 00:02:00
Track 2, start time 14:57:58
Track 3, start time 27:28:24
Track 4, start time 36:48:12
Track 5, start time 49:29:44
Track 6, start time 56:44:23
Track 7, start time 63:25:29
Audio CD reading succeeded.
Get drive speed succeeded.
The drive CDR speeds are: 10 16 20 24.
The drive CDRW speeds are: 10.

The last failed data CD or DVD burn had error code 2615(0x00000a37). It happened on drive D: SONY CDRWDVD CRX880A on CDR media at speed 24X.

Does anyone have any new remedies?

StephenDest

There is finally a new firmware for the inspiron to make it burn blank cds, its TS-L632_D300, you can get it at the dell support page and download it...heres how to install it:
1-Double click the windows folder
2-Double clickSFDNWIN3.2713
3-click run
4-click upper left button which is "download open file"
5-double click the file 632HD300.BIN
6-the click the middle button on the running program that says start download
7-restart windows

It works like a charm in all applications, especially itunes, you can burn anything now and it should have come with the Dell computer to begin with.
Theres your fix...good luck and let me know how it turns out for you.

MuleyGraves

Thank you...hopefully

I think so long as you can direct me to the "Windows" folder, I'll be all set.

Thank you so much for the help.

StephenDest

Hi Muley
you can access the windows folder after you download the firmware update, just double click the update file and you will see a windows folder, then you double click that and follow the steps i listed...let me know if you need more help...good luck.

MuleyGraves

The closest update that I could find to the one that you suggested was one called TSST TS-L632D under the drivers and support section (perhaps I have been looking under the wrong category on the Dell support page?). When I tried to install this update, I could make it through step 4 before getting a message that read, "The firmware is not supported on this drive." I then tried to download the driver update for the Sony CRX880A (as that is the D drive on my computer), but after successful download, ITunes still gave me the dreaded 2615 error.

Should I resort to buying Nero?

MuleyGraves

I haven't tried changing my low-end filters yet, but I am beginning to think that one of the files that I am trying to burn on a data disc is the culprit (if this in fact possible). I put Nero onto my computer and tried burning the same contents that I had been trying to burn with iTunes and Nero wouldn't even let me finish the process. I have since put another audio cd onto my computer with iTunes and did not have any problems. At some point today, I will test my hypothesis by burning a data disc that contains a completely new set of data and will post what happens.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions.

StephenDest

MuleyGraves said:
The closest update that I could find to the one that you suggested was one called TSST TS-L632D under the drivers and support section (perhaps I have been looking under the wrong category on the Dell support page?). When I tried to install this update, I could make it through step 4 before getting a message that read, "The firmware is not supported on this drive." I then tried to download the driver update for the Sony CRX880A (as that is the D drive on my computer), but after successful download, ITunes still gave me the dreaded 2615 error.

Should I resort to buying Nero?
If you post your email i will send you the update, im not sure why its not listed on the support page, but this update fixed all my burning errors (same errors as you have), also if your computer is still under warranty you can get free tech help from Dell over the phone...hope this helps.
Steve

MuleyGraves

Update

I have been able to burn both audio and data discs since my string of posts indicating otherwise; however, the files that led to all of these aforementioned posts are still unable to be burned. I am assuming that one of the files in the bunch is corrupt or protected or some such #### that results in many failed attempts to create a data disc. Thank goodness for external hard drives.

Peace

ElProfeta

I have been trying to backup my music onto CDs through iTunes, but keep getting an error message that says "The attempt to burn a disc failed. An unknown error occurred (2615)."

I can then retry or go to the next disc burn. Retrying does not fix the problem. So far I have been able to backup about half of my music (4 CDs), but the other 4 I need to burn give me this error message.

The only advice I can find about this error suggests upgrading from 7.3, but I am already using the latest version of iTunes (7.3.2.6). I am burning onto Memorex CD-R discs.

The error occurs because a song that you downloaded from a different place (not from itunes) has like a virus and is not letting you burn your files. you should check the cd that you burned and see the FIRST song that does not play and you should delete it from itunes

ElProfeta

You are getting this message because when you are trying to burn a playlist, and a song has like a virus and is not letting you burn your cd. You should listen the cd that you burn and that it was cancel and then where the first song that does NOT play.. Delete it from iTunes and from your playlist.. After that retry your burn again...