Audible + iPod User's Guide

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

raynebair

Website
wifetalks.com
Darn

Well that explains my question. I'd never seen an audiobooks folder on my iPod before yet everyone kept talking about it. The problem...I have a 3g iPod. Does anyone know if there will be a firmware update to include this feature for those of us using older iPods?

dordale

raynebair--

The last firmware for 3g's (version 2.3) does add an audiobook menu to the main menu. If I remember correctly after installing the firmware, you do have to go into settings and turn the audiobook menu on.

dordale :)

ygor

blue_maffu_202 said:
Is there a way to take audio books on CD, rip them, and make them work like Audible files?
Originally posted by Podunk
blue, I added a sentence to the section above to try to clarify. The short answer is no.
That is no longer true with PodCasting features.

Interested in details ?

moriond

ygor [QUOTE][/i]Originally posted by blue_maffu_202 [B]Is there a way to take audio books on CD said:
blue, I added a sentence to the section above to try to clarify. The short answer is no.
That is no longer true with PodCasting features.

Interested in details ?
[/QUOTE]
Right now this solution only works for Macs, but it's true that you can even "go one better" if you make your own audiobooks, since you can choose to embed images, and even links to relevant web pages, too, in addition to chapter markers.

Does anyone who has purchased recently released audiobooks from the iTunes Music Store know whether these show up with the new chapter marks labels? (That is, are they labelled with tags like Chapter 1, Chapter 2? The Free iPod Book and Back to School Guide (currently at the top of this forum page) implies they do, and the sample teaser for Paolini's Eldest at the iTunes Music Store is laid out that way.

It's a pity that users cannot separately customize the chaptertool information of these audiobooks from Audible and the iTMS the way one can for homemade audiobooks.

Incidentally, this may be another difference between iTMS and Audible to be added to Podunk's Guide: Audible doesn't have any plans to change their chapter marker system. You can still navigate to chapter breaks with the shift-control-right[or left] arrow keys (for PCs; Macs use shift-command-right[or left] arrow) in iTunes, but the chapter breaks won't show up with the small pull-down widget that shows up next to the main time-display window as an alternate way to navigate.

ygor

moriond said:
Right now this solution only works for Macs, but it's true that you can even "go one better" if you make your own audiobooks, since you can choose to embed images, and even links to relevant web pages, too, in addition to chapter markers.
Do you mean that PodCasts do not work in Windows iTunes/iPods or are you referring to the Chapter Tool Beta ?

moriond

moriond said:
Right now this solution only works for Macs. . .
Originally posted by ygor
Do you mean that PodCasts do not work in Windows iTunes/iPods or are you referring to the Chapter Tool Beta ?
I was referring to the fact that ChapterTool beta is currently only available for Macs, although a Windows version is coming.

Hrothgar

moriond said:

I was referring to the fact that ChapterTool beta is currently only available for Macs, although a Windows version is coming.
[/QUOTE]

Late to the game here, but just want to confirm where things stand now. As a Windows user (and a future 5G iPod owner), is it in any way possible at this point for me to rip my audio book/radio drama/spoken word CDs in such a way that they will appear under the Audio Book menu on the iPod and/or contain chapter stops, embedded images, etc.?

I've read of the solution of creating a smart playlist excluding these genres for shuffle purposes, etc., but it's an inelegant solution compared to having all of this content under a separate menu heading.

Hrothgar

moriond said:

[/QUOTE]

Late to the game here, but just want to confirm where things stand now. As a Windows user (and a future 5G iPod owner), is it in any way possible at this point for me to rip my audio book/radio drama/spoken word CDs in such a way that they will appear under the Audio Book menu on the iPod and/or contain chapter stops, embedded images, etc.?

I've read of the solution of creating a smart playlist excluding these genres for shuffle purposes, etc., but it's an inelegant solution compared to having all of this content under a separate menu heading.

jayoval

Hi, I'd like to propose an amendment to your point 3, where you talk about using 3rd party software and maybe ending up with conflicts? I don't think you can use 3rd part at all any more - Audible has tied it up. Certainly if you're mad enough to use and iPod with Win98se anyway which means not being able to use iTunes. Their email to me said
Unfortunalety, we no longer supports Anapod or FPod. Apple made it impossible to use our files with a third party software.
cheers

mishima

Hello,

Sorry to include this issue but I'm a new Ipod user. I've just purchased the 5G 60GB Ipod and i've managed to convert my mp3 audiobooks into m4b file. I've successfully uploaded it into my ipod whereby I can see the particular audiobook file under the "Audiobook" section.

For example, i've converted "Chapter 1" into the "Audiobook" section but how do I create a subfolder under it? I was thinking if there are any possible way if i can create "Story Book A" under the "Audiobook" section and my "Chapter 1" will be under the folder of "Story Book A". Please advise me.

Thank you !

Podunk

This thread is specific to Audible.com files. For using .m4b files that you created yourself, your question would be better answered in one of the threads discussing converted files.

P

rishi

Website
www.fastmail.fm
Audible doubt

Hello Friends

I hope I am posting in the correct thread. There is one point I would like to clarify regarding Audible.

How many Ipod's can we load our Audible tracks ? Someone mentioned that it can be loaded in only 2 or 3 pod's.

Is that for entire lifetime or is it at any given point of time ?

I am on my second Ipod so will it lock when I use third or fourth time ? I had de-authorised my previous ipod before selling it.

Will be grateful for any help

Rishi

shadowmonkey

m4a to m4b on vista

i've just purchased a laptop and i'm wondering how you go about changing audiobooks from .m4a to .m4b on windows vista? there's no tools option in the folders with vista.

CristinaA

Assistance with Audible files playign in iPod needed

Well that explains my question. I'd never seen an audiobooks folder on my iPod before yet everyone kept talking about it. The problem...I have a 3g iPod. Does anyone know if there will be a firmware update to include this feature for those of us using older iPods?
I emailed Audible because the files I purchased weren't playing on my iPod. I wanted to be sure I wasn't overlooking anything. they said,

Dear Cristina,
I'm sorry that you are unable to listen to "The Help" on your iPod. First, I would like for you to restart the iPod by holding down the Menu and Select buttons at the same time. Once the iPod is on, try to play the audio book. If you are still unable to play it, I would like you to delete the files from the iPod and then transfer them again. Below is a link to steps on deleting the files from your iPod:
Adding Audible Content to your iPod (PC)
Please let us know if you are still unable to listen to the book on your iPod.
Sincerely,
Brian J.
Audible Customer Support

Before emailing Audible I had already:
1) Reset my iPod by simultaneously pressing the Menu and Select buttons. Still didn't play on iPod.

2) Removed files from my iPod, reset it again, & reloaded the files. Still didn't play on iPod.

3) Deleted the files from my iPod, iTunes library, & pc. Redownloaded the files from Audible, placed them in iTunes library, & resynced iPod. Still didn't play on iPod.

Yep, the files still don't play on my iPod, but do play in iTunes.

Do you all have any recommendations? :confused:

Thanks,
Cristina

files downloaded in format 4
iPod - 3rd gen, version 2.3
iTunes - version 9.2.1.5
Computer: - Windows XP Pro, version 2002, SP 2

Last edited:
Website
www.ilounge.com
Actually, while your'e mostly correct, that's not entirely true. Although you can set any MP3 file to be an audiobook now (this changed in iTunes 8) such that it shows up in the audiobooks section, and you've been able to make any audio file "bookmarkable" since iTunes 7, you still need to use third-party software to add chapter markers in the audiobook, which are a common feature of larger/longer audiobooks.

Website
www.ilounge.com
I assume by "like Audible files" you're referring to displaying in the books section, remembering playback position and having chapter markers?

For the first two options, you can now adjust these directly in iTunes. Simply select the imported audiobook track and choose File, Get Info to open the track properties. On the "Options" tab you'll see a drop-down where you can set the "Media Kind" to Audiobook and toggle on the "Remember Playback Position" setting.

You can also combine multiple tracks from a CD into a single imported track by highlighting them all before importing the CD and choosing Advanced, Join CD Tracks. This will import them all as a single file, although you won't get any chapter markers like Audible and iTunes Store audiobooks have. To add the chapter markers you'll need a third-party app such as MarkAble and Chapter Master for Windows or Audiobook Builder for Mac.