Anyone bought an extra dock yet?

Mart

I just wanted to know if it came with a firewire cable, it appears not, which makes it an expensive purchase but thought I'd double check, just in case.

Thanks.

Surf Monkey

Mart said:
I just wanted to know if it came with a firewire cable, it appears not, which makes it an expensive purchase but thought I'd double check, just in case.

Thanks.
Yeah, I'd be interested in knowing the answer to this as well. None of the stores in Portland have the docking firewire cable or the docks yet.

povvy

Mart said:
Yeah, it is expensive for someone wanting another dock to use with a Mac. I'm guessing that Apple is targeting the "second" docks to people who want to set them on top of their home stereos, which wouldn't need a Apple-proprietary FireWire cable.

I'm using my current dock for both: syncing to my Mac and playing through my stereo. Now all I need is a white audio cable (instead of the current non-matching black one I have) to go to my stereo. ;)

Patrick.

Kenny

Super Man
I doubt it.

Seeing how apple is charging $39 for the dock, and $19 for the cable, if the dock and the cable were packaged together for $39, that would be saying that the dock itself is worth only $20 (very unlikely).

Of course I know that if the two are packaged together they probably wouldnt charge the full price of both items (hopefully they would discount the package price), but that's still very unlikely that for $39, you would get both the dock and the cable.

tastewar

I'd be surprised as well. And just think, if I want to hook it up to my stereo, I need a dock, cable, and AC adapter. Talk about an expensive add-on!

As I said elsewhere, I hope electronics mfrs start adding iPod slots to stereo components, like receivers and car decks :)

I will be completely freaked out if Apple is shipping their $40 dock without a cable. I am assuming that there IS a cable included with the dock. Otherwise, it won't work.

Yes, I know. The photo doesn't show a cable. Just the dock. Well, the photo for the iMac doesn't show any cables either, and I'm pretty sure it comes with a few of 'em.

I asked myself this same question last week. Does the dock come with a cable, or is it just the dock? I mean, $40 for a small hunk of metal with in and out ports on it doesn't seem too rational. It must have a cable. It's gotta have one.

Again, I'll be personally mortified if there's no cable included.

Rich

c.c.r. said:
I'll be personally mortified if there's no cable included.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the dock doesn't come with a cable. I called Apple last week to ask about it before I placed an order online.

Also, anyone planning on placing an order through Apple for a dock or cable will have to wait a bit. I ordered a dock and two cables Sunday night and the estimated ship date is June 9th.

destined_wind

WHAT!!! That's outrageous!!! How can Apple ship their dock WITHOUT cables!! Thats like saying you buy a brand new computer system (monitor, printer and all) and their is NO wiring done or included in your computer...I can't believe this!

Wow. That takes a bit to comprehend.

Here's a newsflash for Apple: without the cable, the dock is WORTHLESS.

Oh wait. They know that already. Must be why they're going to stick you for an extra $20 to make your new dock work, eh?

Apple is selling you a dock for $40 but the cable to make the #### thing work is an extra $20? How much more money do you think they really deserve from us, especially when they display behavior like this? How many electronic products would you buy if the cable to make it work was an extra $20?

And, of course, nowhere on the site does it say "cable sold separately" -- the photo doesn't show a cable so it doesn't have to. Nevermind the fact that without the cable, the dock is only good for one thing... holding paper down on your desk.

Here's hoping that the third-party market gets us some cables ASAP (go Belkin go!). I need another cable, and somehow, I've just been "put off" from buying one from Apple.

Maybe if they spend some time with their iPod OS 2.0 and debug it... just a tad... just a wee bit... maybe down to something that resembles a "post-alpha" release... maybe then I'll drop another $60 for a dock.

Wolfman200

Actually, tastewar, you don't necessarily have to have all those things. Technically, you could use a dock by itself to connect to a stereo. However, like the rest of the people here, I'm #### dissapointed that it doesn't come with a cable, because I'd really want to be charging the iPod if I have to leave it in the dock anyway. Right now I just move the cable and leave the dock and AC adapter next to my stereo. This only works for me because I do very little transferring, and I don't really think it's worth $20 just for convenience (but mainly I'm just saving what little $ I have left for more important accessories like a case, car charger, and iTrip).

c.c.r. said:

<snip>
The dock w/o a cable is not completely worthless. You can use it to connect your iPod to a home audio system even without the FW cable.

Of course, you need a 1/8" miniplug jack to RCA connector cable, but that isn't included with the dock that came with your iPod, either. ;)

BTW, no way am I posting this to defend Apple on this, but just to correct you a little bit, Kurt. :)

Tom

tastewar

Wolfman200 said:
Actually, tastewar, you don't necessarily have to have all those things. Technically, you could use a dock by itself to connect to a stereo. However, like the rest of the people here, I'm #### dissapointed that it doesn't come with a cable, because I'd really want to be charging the iPod if I have to leave it in the dock anyway. Right now I just move the cable and leave the dock and AC adapter next to my stereo. This only works for me because I do very little transferring, and I don't really think it's worth $20 just for convenience (but mainly I'm just saving what little $ I have left for more important accessories like a case, car charger, and iTrip).
You're right, I didn't mean to suggest it was absolutely nec.; just what any right-minded person would want/expect ;)

martini

Well, if I buy an extra dock, it'll be for at work, and then I'll need one of the USB cables, 'cause I only have firewire at home. Maybe that's why Apple didn't include a cable... because they figure that many users will want the USB one instead?

Casual

Well if I do end up buying a new dock and cable, I might as well get the USB2 one. I mean why not, same price with an extra connection.

ibons

c.c.r. said:

Oh wait. They know that already. Must be why they're going to stick you for an extra $20 to make your new dock work, eh?

Apple is selling you a dock for $40 but the cable to make the #### thing work is an extra $20? How much more money do you think they really deserve from us, especially when they display behavior like this? How many electronic products would you buy if the cable to make it work was an extra $20?

And, of course, nowhere on the site does it say "cable sold separately" -- the photo doesn't show a cable so it doesn't have to. Nevermind the fact that without the cable, the dock is only good for one thing... holding paper down on your desk.

Here's hoping that the third-party market gets us some cables ASAP (go Belkin go!). I need another cable, and somehow, I've just been "put off" from buying one from Apple.

Maybe if they spend some time with their iPod OS 2.0 and debug it... just a tad... just a wee bit... maybe down to something that resembles a "post-alpha" release... maybe then I'll drop another $60 for a dock.
alternatively, they *could* say: oh, but we're selling the dock for the 10gig v3 ipod owners, they have their cable already but we're providing them with a means to have a way cool dock...

but i still think they should throw in a cable too, it would be really useful and take the pinch off the price a little. anyways, anyone realise that the ipod cradle is actually nice and flat for portability? i'd like to say that's pretty clever design.. but perhaps not worth $40 more...