7th Gen Ipod nano not displaying album artwork

angelo

Artwork in my itunes library is perfect, but recently when i load songs on to my ipod nano 7 gen , not all album artwork is dispalyed , very frustrating , have restored to no avail

cjmnews

Staff member
If you manually sync, you need to be sure your artwork is embedded in the files (added via the Get Song Info window) because the database of automatically downloaded art is not transferred with manual management. A Smart Playlist can be used to find the ones without embedded art.

File->New->Smart Playlist
Has Artwork is false.
Call it MissingArt

You may want to select all tracks and create a new playlist called Updated so you know what was changed. As you fix the art problem they will automatically fall out of the MissingArt playlist.

Once done, you then should remove the tracks in the Updated playlist from the iPod, and put them back on.

angelo

Thanks , tried the smart playlist option but did not get many results , ipod classic 7 gen show all artwork and is synched auto , but i make playlists for my ipod nano manually manged , that is i guess where the problem is

angelo

artwork that is manually inserted into itunes library from google images etc are not being transfered to ipod nano , only artwork that was automatically gained by itunes shows up , i make my own playlists and transfer to ipod nano . This is a new problem possibly or coincidently with new apple ios update , before everything was ok .

cjmnews

Staff member
That is odd. The artwork you add manually is embedded in the file. So if you have a recent copy of the file (hence the remove and re-add) then you get the artwork on the iPod even with manual sync.

The automatically downloaded artwork does not get synced unless you use auto sync.

iOS is getting a bit worse for syncing. The last few versions you have to sync twice to get updates to your smart playlists. The first sync copies the updates to the iTunes. Then iTunes updates the playlists, but too late for the sync to put those updates onto the iOS device. This is why the second sync is needed.

You are seeing the opposite of what is normal. Are you sure?

angelo

Have tried re synch but still no good , since this problem has only started occuring with latest update , put it down to that , maybe it will be fixed next update , lol

cjmnews

Staff member
I guess I still have to ask, if you are sure that the artwork is embedded inside of the song?

If you play a song with a non-iTunes player, configured NOT to get art automatically from the web, does the art work show up?
If not, then your art is not embedded, and you'll need to fix that for manual management to show artwork.

If so, then I would have to suspect that an old version of the music without the art is on the iPod, and you'll need to delete the songs from the iPod and add them back on to get the new version that has the embedded art.

The other option is automatic sync which will pull the iTunes database of artwork in, and you can have non-embedded art showing on your iPod.