5G 60GB iPod destroys right earphone

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Moltare

Got an iPod in December. Very shiny, very nice.

After a week, the right bud of the earphones Apple provided suddenly died. Slight annoyance, but not a problem; I used my Sony earphones instead.

Ten days later, the right earpiece started to crackle, and proceeded to stop working at all. Rather more annoying, but they were old earphones after all.

Bought myself a shiny new pair of £30 ambient-noise-reducing earphones with the vaguely surgical-seeming rubber ear pieces. Barely five days had passed when, yes, the right-hand half of the new headphones failed between one track and the next.

Now, they say that once is happenstance, twice is coincidence and three times is enemy action, so... anyone else suffered/heard of this problem? Apple were singularly unforthcoming when I phoned then, but did at least offer a free pair of bog-standard earphones (for my iPod to consume, no doubt)

TheJosher

Music Is Your Friend.
Website
www.thejosher.net
Same thing happened to my deafult iPod buds.. I don't have any others to try them on, but Apple gave me a new set of the stock buds.. I always thought it was the earbuds fault, not the iPod. That'd be weird if it was... I'll have to see if it happens again with this new pair.

Josh

TheJosher

Music Is Your Friend.
Website
www.thejosher.net
Wow.. looks like there might be an issue here. Poi-Dog, are you using the stock white earbuds?

It'd be awesome if it wasn't the earbuds fault, and Apple would replace the iPod for this ;)

Josh

parker42oo

I got a 60gb Black 5g for christmas. the stock earphones it came with worked good for a bit and then the right one did blow. this is amazing...i diddnt think anything of it but now that i see this, i hope the new ones i bought dont go to sh!t...

Ai.Chj13

Wow, I thought i'm the only one with this problem. My iPod is 5G 30gb, same problem occurs with my right earbud!!!
(the weird part is the left side seems to work just fine)

chicken59

dude holy crap!
now that i think about it, my right headphone failed too
im using a 5g 30gb and etymotic 6i and the right headphone stopped working about a month after i began using it on my 5g ipod
i never had this problem on my old ipod

now the right one's sound is completely gone and im gettin ready to send it in to etymotic

i thought it was just a defect in the headphone, but apparently this is widespread

krazynate

Same thing happened to me with my old 4G, the SOB killed 4 pairs of headphones. One being the stocks, 2 being the apple in-ear, and the latter being the sony ex71sl. I hope this isnt an issue with my new 5G 60gb, its a real pain in the butt.

NOWPLAYING

same thing here.. 2 days after i got it, was using it at work.. right one started crakeling.. few days later it stoped workin completly. tnx apple.

ps- if this is happening to alot of people apple owes us.

Last edited:

MetalManCPA

iPod Convert
Hopefully everybody with this problem informs Apple and not the headphone manufacturers.

Truthfully, 6 people out of "x" ipod owners isn't alot. But, it's an odd problem that appears to be a flaw. Again, if it's more widespread than just this forum, hopefully people are smart enough to flood aplles support lines with the problem and not assume it's a headphone problem.

Atkins_1989

Same ERE!!!

my right one went so i got my free replacement pair from apple hope they dont blow

TheJosher

Music Is Your Friend.
Website
www.thejosher.net
You all need to stop listening to your music so loud, your ears are going to be the next thing to blow, no pun intended.
I don't! Very rarely is it above 50% volume, and thats only for softer music. If it was loudness, why wouldn't the left blow out as well? Its just odd that with all of us its just the right one ;)

I really didn't think anything of it the first time.. but with all these posts, just wow ;) Anybody want to try submitting a replacement request about it?

Josh

TheJosher

Music Is Your Friend.
Website
www.thejosher.net
Its not really blow out, its just an annoying static sound on the right earbud. Sort of like it was over amplified and clipping.

It also appears NOT to be the earphones fault, as some of the others posters have posted it blowing out with third party earphones as well..

But if it does blow out for your, if you're using the deafult buds you can file a replacement request and they'll send you a new pair, so I'm not worried about that. I'm just worried that if I spend $70 and get a half-decent pair, if it messes THAT up.. then I'd be mad. ;)

Josh

n2xe

Audio Evangelist
Website
www.n2xe.com
This is interesting. I seem to recall somebody claiming that they got a painful electrical shock out of their right earbud.

I'm wondering if the switching power supply is located anywhere near the right phone line out?