Firmware Update Problems (v1.1)

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR
Website
www.ilounge.com
As of 23 Mar 06 Apple has released Firmware v1.1.1. By all reports, this update appears to fix the video lag problems that were discovered in v1.1. It is strongly suggested that anybody having these problems try the v1.1.1 firmware, downloadable from http://www.apple.com/ipod/download/

Discussion of the new firmware can be found here

For those curious as to what the v1.1 problems were, by all means read on...

This topic has been discussed at great length in an excessively long thread here, however I am going to attempt to summarize the key points in a new sticky thread until such time as we have a resolution to the firmware issues. This will hopefully allow those looking for information on this problem to have a single reference on what has been discovered, and avoid a large number of redundant responses in the larger thread. I will attempt to update and maintain this post as new information is discovered.

You may reply to this thread with questions or comments, but please read through this post COMPLETELY before adding any further information.

The Firmware

Several users have been encountering problems with the latest v1.1 iPod firmware update on the 5G iPod. This update was released January 10, 2006, and is included in the "iPod Updater 2006-01-10" package.

Firstly, the new firmware was released to provide "several bug fixes" as well as to support Apple's new iPod FM Radio Remote. If you are not having any problems with your iPod with the v1.0 firmware, and do not intend to use the iPod FM Radio Remote, you do not need to update your firmware.

The Changes

The firmware also makes one significant change to the iPod interface which is not desirable for all users. In v1.0, as on previous iPod models, holding down the MENU key would toggle the backlight. In v1.1, holding down the MENU key now returns directly to the Main Menu.

This appears to have been an intentional change (ie, a feature) as opposed to a bug.

The new firmware also appears to improve the performance of the 5G iPod when accessing tracks and scrolling through menus. "Lagging" problems that seemed to occur with v1.0 are minimal to non-existent with v.1.1.

THE PROBLEM

After upgrading to the v1.1 firmware, a number of users have reported problems playing back video content that they have encoded themselves. The problem seems to include stops and stutters during playback, audio and video being out of synchronization, and other problems related to the consistent and smooth playback of video.

The following points should be noted:
  • This problem only seems to affect the 5G 60Gb iPod
  • There have been no reports of this problem occurring on the 5G 30Gb iPod
  • The problem does not occur with content purchased from iTunes
  • The problem does not occur with content encoded with QuickTime and/or iTunes.
  • The problem only seems to occur with large video files (in excess of 100Mb)
  • The problem seems to occur most frequently with content encoded with Videora on PC, although other applications have shown this problem as well.
  • There have been few to no reports of this problem occurring for Mac users encoding with Handbrake.
Most importantly, it should be noted that this problem does NOT appear to affect 30Gb models!. As a result, please do not post that your 30Gb is working properly.

Likewise, the other thread would seem to indicate that we have a large sample of people who are having the problem. Ideally, we would like to hear from anybody who fits into one of the following categories:
  • You are using a 30Gb model and ARE having a problem with video playback
  • You are having a problem with content encoded with iTunes or Quicktime
  • You are having problems with content purchased from iTunes
  • You are having problems with content encoded with Handbrake on Mac OS X
To prevent this thread from becoming excessively long and unwieldy, please refrain from adding a "me too" to this thread unless you fit into a unique category. If you have a 60Gb and are having problems with Videora-encoded videos, you are not alone, as everybody else appears to be having this problem as well.

Regardless of whether Apple officially supports third-party conversion tools or not, and regardless of discussions around compliance with standards, the simple fact is that some videos that worked with v1.0 no longer work with v1.1.

Obviously, we are all hoping that Apple will do something to address this very soon. Until that time, the current workarounds include:
  • Re-encode your content with Quicktime or iTunes, if possible
  • Split larger files into smaller chunks using a utility such as MP4Box. Some have reported that the mere use of this tool fixes the problem for some reason, regardless of the final file size.
  • Revert to the v1.0 firmware.
REVERTING TO V1.0 FIRMWARE

Unless you have manually deleted your previous iPod Updater, you should continue to have the previous firmware available on your computer. The last iPod updater was 2005-11-17, although the 5G firmware in this one is also the same as the one released on 2005-10-06, so either updater should suffice.

Note that by default, the only way to revert to an older firmware is the RESTORE your iPod to default settings. Doing this will ERASE ALL CONTENT on your iPod so make sure that you have a backup prior to doing this. If you have your entire music/photo/video library on your computer in iTunes, then that should suffice, as you can just reload it to your iPod following the restore.

Doing a RESTORE is the simplest and most recommended procedure provided that you already have a backup of your music. If you do not have a backup of your music, there are other methods available to "trick" the iPod into thinking that you're actually updating the firmware. However, my personal opinion is that it's probably better to backup your iPod and run a full RESTORE than to use one of these methods.

To backup your iPod, you can either use any number of available tools designed for recovering the music from your iPod, or you can simply back it up as you would any other external hard drive, ensuring that hidden directories are included.

OTHER NOTES

It would also appear that the v1.1 firmware update breaks the SDRAM diagnostics within the iPod diagnostics menu. Some originally felt that this was an indication that the SDRAM was failing, but this does not appear to be the case. Rather, the SDRAM test itself is not working as it should. Any results of this test with the word "FAIL" in them do not mean that your SDRAM has failed, but rather the word "FAIL" is just a legend indicating what the backlight should be doing in the event of a failure of the test. However, the test itself doesn't appear to run at all.

Several people report that they have contacted Apple Technical Support about this and they have acknowledged that there is a problem and are working on a fix.

This thread will be made a sticky at the top of the main iPod forum until this problem is resolved. Please feel free to contribute to this thread if you have any NEW information to offer, including indications that this problem is occurring on different hardware than already reported, or suggestions for other possible workarounds.

Please also note that if you are going to report a problem in this thread, please ensure that you include the following information:
  • Your iPod Model (30Gb or 60Gb)
  • What OS you are using (ie, Windows XP, Mac OS X, or something else)
  • What you are using to encode your videos (ie, Videora, Handbrake, etc)
  • The approximate size of the smallest video file that you are having problems with.

Last edited:

TheJosher

Music Is Your Friend.
Website
www.thejosher.net
I'm not sure how comprehensive "The Changes" is supposed to be.. but the new firmware has apparently fixed some lagging issues with the interface (I've noticed that scrolling through, for example, my 2000-song list, its a lot faster and smoother). In addition, video forwarding/rewinding appear to be faster.

Playing videos works fine for my 30GB, BUT, scrolling through them (middle button, then scrolling with the click wheel) froze one of my larger videos encoded with Videora. I had to do a resest to get it working again.

Josh

Operator99

Don't Toy with my Toys!
First, I have the 60 gig problem with video on the windows side.However, in answer to the criteria for posting, I can state that a good friend of mine (who doesn't visit Ilounge) has the same video problem on the mac side using handbrake or isquint, so it seems to cross multiple encoders. BTW, I have been using PQDVD with no problems with it with 1.0 and broken under 1.1.

Lastly, downgraded with Ipodwizard, not mentioned as an option in the sticky, and had no problem, took five minutes without needing to do a restore. Do want the FM remote once the video issue is resolved.

Last edited:

gravis86

iPod Expert
I would like to report that I have a 5G 60GB with NO video problems. I have been converting my videos with Nero for a lon time, and they have always worked perfectly, even with the new firmware update alongside the new iTunes.

I use Nero 6.6. It is not intended to convert video for the iPod, but here is how I did it. (There is probably more than one way to do it, this is just how I do it.)
1. Open NeroVision Express SE
2. Click Make a CD > Video CD
3. On the right hand side where it says, "What would you like to do?" click "Add Video Files"
4. Open the video you want to convert.
5. Click the button on the bottom titled "Export"
6. Under "Select export template:" choose Nero Digital
7. Under "Profile:" choose Memory Stick Video (PSP Compatible)
8. Click Export.

johnnjr

Website
modern-pub.blogspot.com
5G 30gig...with the problems!!! Damn it!!

I have the 30Gig model (white) and have also experienced video playback problems where the first 10 to 20 sec of the video are black yet you have audio and/or a very loud almost painful audio chirp at some point. Very similar to what is being reported for the 60s. This did not start until after the firmware update.

I also have a suspicion that the new update to iTunes is breaking my movies. I keep them on an external firwire drive (an old iPod) and import the ones I want. I've edited the tags on all my movies. Several of them have broken upon readding them to the library. I don't know if copying them out of iTunes broke them or putting them in.

Bottom line 5G 30gig witht he problems here!!

Hopefully soon. I just upgraded my 5G today and started having the same problems mentioned above. Then I got the folder w/ ! icon on the screen and couldn't restore it. I had to put in a service request.

When I get the new one I'm using the previous firmware updater.

Matt174e

Will Videos converted with "PQ DVD to iPod" Converter work with 1.1? I spent a LOT of time extracting each video from my Welcome to the Videos DVD.

Kane3030

i have a 60gb black ipod 5g and i have the same video problem. i have noticed that if i play a video without my headphones plugged in, the video plays back flawlessly. has anyone else experienced this?

BHSturdivant

I have a 30GB Video, and after updating to 1.1 some of my movies converted from DivX to Ipod compatible with Videora will freeze and then start playing again without sound, or sound delayed. These worked fine before updating. Out of 7 full length movies on my ipod it is happening to 4. (All of these were DVD movies I ripped to DivX)

Can someone tell me how to put 1.0 back on my ipod?

Operator99

Don't Toy with my Toys!
Matt174e said:
Will Videos converted with "PQ DVD to iPod" Converter work with 1.1? I spent a LOT of time extracting each video from my Welcome to the Videos DVD.

It has been hit and miss with me (as you will see from above I have downgraded). Videos encoded with PQ DVD to iPod 1.0 seem to be ok, but ones with the newer version 1.5 don't work - and like a jerk I deleted 1.0 after upgrading a few days ago.

Scarpad

60 GB 5g

I've had some vids freeze and they've been encoded with Videoa. I use mainly Hand brake and like they said those have been fine. I just started using Nero Digital and all those encodes work without an issue. Even the problems Videora vids work perfect on my Axim 51v in the Core Media Player.

Lelo707

I seem to have quite a unique problem. After I changed to 1.1, when I go to the "movies" folder, all my songs are displayed there, and when I play a movie it plays only the sound, in "music mode", as it were. 30Gb.

Boldblend

how do you get the firmware update to begin with?? Is this something that you actively do your self, or is it automatically updated somehow. I want to know, because as I am reading the problems people are having with it.... I see that I DON"T want the update right now until they fix the bugs....so if it does happens automatically, I would like to prevent that.

thanks

MagicRabbits

A rather nice bug fix is that playing an audiobook immediately after pausing a video no longer results in a cacophony of sound; it just plays correctly. I mention this, because in the next release of the firmware (which must surely come soon?), it may not stay fixed!!! They might just roll it back on the sly!

icespide

Website
icespide.com
60gb 5g white here and am also having the problems.

Does anyone suspect that this may be on purpose on Apple's part to maybe discourage users from dropping their own not always legal content on the iPod?

PaulDrum5G

Website
www.modsquadhockey.com
icespide said:
60gb 5g white here and am also having the problems.

Does anyone suspect that this may be on purpose on Apple's part to maybe discourage users from dropping their own not always legal content on the iPod?

No, its not fair to all the other users that actually have legal movies.

jamontoast

I have a 30GB, and now since updating when i hold the menu button it takes me to the main menu, instead of turning the backlight on/off.

i use Windows XP and videora for videos if that matters, even though i dont think it does.

Website
drum.co.nr
I am having similar problems to. I was wondering why the mouth movements were totally off with the audio! I have a 5G Black 30GB. I used Xilisoft iPod Video Converter, and ImTOO DVD to iPod Converter.