Music from iTunes

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

miTunes75

I was wondering how many of you download music from iTunes. After watching the Keynote yesterday, I couldn't believe the numbers that Jobs was giving in regards to the amount of downloads, etc. Just wondered how many loungers out there DL from iTunes or just get the cd instead. And if so, how many songs have you purchased from iTunes? Not the freebees, but the ones that cose money :)

I, myself, have purchased about a total of 12 songs.

I'm strongly considering purchasing from iTunes from here-on-out (if they have the songs/albums) I'm looking for. I'm running out of storage fast!

Razor70

I buy singles sometimes from there. I would say I have bought a total of about 100 songs from the Itunes store. I don't mind buying from there since I rip my music to AAC 128 anyways. It saves me from having to drive across town and most of the time I can get the album cheaper from Itunes.

miTunes75

I think I'll probably buy singles from iTunes and the full albums I know I would want on cd format. It's just going to cost TOO much money for me to buy cds for 1-2 songs (used cd stores or not) I pay 2 bux for 2 songs or 6.56 tx inclusive for one cd that has two songs that i like.

Galley

Website
www.galleytech.com
miTunes75 said:
think that's ever going to happen, though?
I would hope so. The RealPlayer Music Store and Rhapsody both sell 192Kbps AAC files for the same price. From what I have read on RealNetworks' forums, demand for lossless files is high, even if the price for tracks was as much as 30-50% higher.

miTunes75

I think if this happens, I'll have NO problem whatsoever to go 100% digital format. I rip my cds in lossless now, but have them on ipod at 128aac as I only listen to my ipod through the car system (which isn't wonderful).

Website
www.ilounge.com
I've bought a lot of music from the iTunes Store. Probably about half of my library (exact count based on a smart playlist searching for the word "protected" is approximately 4,800 tracks, including video content as well).

That's actually rather frightening now that I look at it.... :)

In my case, I don't care about the 128kbps bit rate, as I rip all of my music to that anyway, since I really can't hear the difference between that and anything higher (I've done blind ABX tests of my own to confirm this), and I don't find the DRM overly restrictive (in fact, it's probably the least-restrictive DRM out there).

In my case, I've made a conscious decision about the convenience factor versus the restrictions that this imposes upon me. I don't have the time to go shopping for CDs, nor do I have the space to store them. I have 400 CDs on my shelves already that have not been out of their cases since they were first imported into iTunes two years ago, and now I only buy the occasional CD for something that I really want that isn't available on iTunes, or that is a collector's item (ie, I want the liner notes and packaging).

I know that it will be a pain should I ever want to move away from an iPod-based world, but I don't see that happening any time soon, since I'm otherwise an all-Mac user. The fact that I can burn all of these tracks to CD is enough for me to feel future-proofed, and despite the paranoid ramblings of the anti-DRM folks, I don't expect Apple would ever reduce the burning restrictions to the point where I wouldn't be able to burn the tracks to CD at all.

Frankly, the effort of burning vs ripping is pretty much the same as far as I'm concerned. I have a friend who buys music from the iTunes Store and burns every album to CD as he buys it, just to have a backup. It's actually technically easier than ripping, since you're not dealing with potentially dodgy track info from CDDB that has to be corrected.

a7dk

jhollington said:
despite the paranoid ramblings of the anti-DRM folks, I don't expect Apple would ever reduce the burning restrictions to the point where I wouldn't be able to burn the tracks to CD at all.

I guess I'm one of the aforementioned paranoid anti-DRM folks. I refuse to buy from iTunes solely because of I'm opposed to the DRM. It's true that it isn't that restrictive...I just feel morally obligated to boycott because I feel strongly that I should be allowed to own my music completely, given that I wouldn't be burning and distributing hundreds of cds to people.

That said, I still use iTunes for organizational purposes because I think it's the easiest.

Nader172

t3h ul71m473 h4xX0r!!1!
I dunno, I think I've downloaded around 20 items total since my computer last crashed. Usually it's the disks I buy because you can import them the way you want them to be.

Website
www.ilounge.com
Heh, to be fair I'm opposed to DRM as well, I'm just not that opposed to it (ie, I don't feel strongly enough about it to not buy from the iTunes Store, because it has provided a level of DRM I can live with).

But by "paranoid" I was referring to the folks that actually believe that Apple would eventually take away ALL burning rights in the future. Many folks cite the fact that Apple did reduce the burns-per-playlist from 10 to 7 a few years back, but there's a big difference between that and taking away the right to burn tracks at all (and to be fair, how many people really need to make even seven burns of the same playlist?)

I can't argue with those who oppose it on a philosophical basis, but I personally can't get that excited about it. In my case, as long as I have a very flexible option to burn to CD, I'm quite comfortable with the other restrictions, and in two years they have in no way affected my ability to enjoy my music... In fact, other than the need to occasionally reauthorize a new computer, they don't get in the way at all.

To be fair, the video content is a bit more bothersome, since there's no way out with that (you can't burn it to a DVD, for instance), but I still buy most of my movies on DVD if I consider them worth having. The couple I've bought from iTunes I look at in the same way as a rental or pay-per-view movie.

a7dk

Well said, Jhollington.

I guess, by that definition, I don't qualify as "paranoid" because I don't think Apple is stupid. Taking away all burning rights would be tantamount to slashing their customer base. I'm sure they realize that.

miTunes75

Well, I have bought about 12 "single trax" this last week. I've been pleased with them. I think that I'll only be buying cds from now on if the track/album is not avail on iTunes. It is the easiest, convienient way of doing things.

As far as backup. For some reason, I just don't trust burning them to CD. once you burn them to cd and import them into iTunes on a new HDD if your original crashes, do you still have drm rights to them? Are they still protected? If the $$$ can stretch, I'm going to purchase an additional HDD next paycheck so that I can put my purchases on backup. I think this would work best for me.

JHollington: I LOVE your posts. They made a lot of sense to me-->I definately understood where you were coming from.

baggss

Stoopid Ameican Rednek
I would hazard to guess that I have spent several hundred dollars on iTunes. Not to mention that both my kids and my nephew have accounts and get $20 each a month to buy music. I feel sorry for those who are so wrapped up in and worried about what codec or bitrate the music is in to be able to enjoy it.

DarkenVampirE

I never bought a cd or a song from itunes store or any other store....i use Ares lite Edition sharing freeware i can download ANY new song FAST highquality and 100% free....god bless p2p programmes.....

Website
www.ilounge.com
miTunes75 said:
As far as backup. For some reason, I just don't trust burning them to CD. once you burn them to cd and import them into iTunes on a new HDD if your original crashes, do you still have drm rights to them?
That depends entirely on whether you're burning them to a data CD (ie, as files), or an audio CD. If you're burning to an audio CD, the DRM is removed by necessity, since there is no DRM or copy-protection standard for audio CDs. You can therefore just re-rip that audio CD back into iTunes (or any other program) as you would for any commercial CD.

If it's just a question of backing them up for preservation or disaster recovery, then an external hard drive, or burning to a data CD/DVD is sufficient. However, burning audio CDs of them will take more blank discs, but ensures the music is retained in a future-proof format, since you could then rip those CDs in the future to any format you choose.

CD Audio is still the standard audio format.

DarkenVampirE said:
I never bought a cd or a song from itunes store or any other store....i use Ares lite Edition sharing freeware i can download ANY new song FAST highquality and 100% free....god bless p2p programmes.....
You say this like it's a good thing.... :shake:

Regardless, since this thread was about purchasing music, it's not relevant to the discussion at hand.

We're all quite well aware that there are a number of people out there who choose to get their content through less legitimate means. You might want to review our Forum Policy, specifically the section titled No Discussion of File Sharing Methods, as you'll find that bragging about such things as you are will meet with a lukewarm reception here, at best.

miTunes75

baggss said:
I would hazard to guess that I have spent several hundred dollars on iTunes. Not to mention that both my kids and my nephew have accounts and get $20 each a month to buy music. I feel sorry for those who are so wrapped up in and worried about what codec or bitrate the music is in to be able to enjoy it.

Baggas: I couldn't agree more. I hear people say "oh, how can you enjoy it when it sounds so bad... blah blah blah". Just kick back, grab your favorite beverage and enjoy it.

I have come to love the iTunes Store the more I use it.

I'm just not sold on the whole movie thing yet; but that's another thread :cool:

paranoidxe

I have purchased about 400 songs from the iTunes Store, so the quality isn't exactly the same as a CD, its DAMN close enough to not give a crap. I'd rather spend $1 per song that I choose then go out and pay $10-$15 for a CD with ONE song I like on it just for the sake of quality.

What annoys me is that the iTunes Store is ONLY compatible with iPods and no other mp3 players.

DarkenVampirE said:
Oh bull, if you happen to get a legit song off of the p2p about 70% of the time it is of #### poor quality that even the stock earbuds will pick up a huge difference.

kornchild2002

I have purchased about 600 songs off of the iTunes Store, 2 movies, 56 music videos, two TV series (season 10 of South Park and season 2 of Ghost Hunters), and one game. I think I have spent around $800 on purchased items. Then again, I started purchasing songs back in 2003 so some of them are pretty old.

I enjoy the quality from the iTunes store as it is the same bitrate and format that I rip my CD's to. I will still purchase a physical CD if it is a band that I like (such as Korn) but I predominately purchase my music off of iTunes now. It is a whole lot easier for me. I can purchase an entire album if I want to and I can get it at midnight. The cost of a entire album is actually a little less than what it would cost me to pick it up at Best Buy. I also just prefer to nit pick for the songs that I like. Most artists I listen to change their recording procedures to produce higher quality (music wise, not audio quality) albums to make people want to purchase the entire thing. I remember when the iTunes Music Store was first released, some of those pop and one-hit-wonder bands were ####ed that people could just pay $1.00 to download their hit song instead of paying $12 for a CD full of crap.