dock connector extension cable?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

telekaster

Does this exist? I'm looking for a dock connector extension cable - male on one end and female on the other. If anybody knows where to buy one or have one made. please let me know. Thanks.

rreay

How about a Firewire or USB extension cable instead. Those are easy to find. I've never seen a dock extension

telekaster

thanks... but maybe I need to elaborate. I need a cable that has a female dock connector on it. What I want to do is keep my Monster car charger/line out tucked away behind the dash with nothing coming out but the dock connector (the extension). The Monster dock connector/line out is bulky and has 2 cables coming off if it, so I'd like to keep that hidden and only have one cable (the extension) coming out.

I'm going to look into the firewire/USB extension and see if I'll have the connections I need.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
edit: OK, I've checked out the possiblities and I can't find any cables with a female dock connector. I contacted belkin to see if they might release one or if I can have one made. Maybe there are no female connector parts, but I sure wish something like this would come out.

Last edited:

Tomo_kun

Pop'N and IIDX
If you are *very* comfortable with soldering 30 wires and making your own cable, you could do it. I dont think one has been made, and this would be a great accessorie IMO. I would like a remote port extender and duplicator (So I can plug in the remote and the iTrip).

STLpod

telekaster said:
OK, I've checked out the possiblities and I can't find any cables with a female dock connector. I contacted belkin to see if they might release one or if I can have one made. Maybe there are no female connector parts, but I sure wish something like this would come out.
That a BIG bummer...I was also looking for a cable like you described.

STLpod

Tomo_kun said:
If you are *very* comfortable with soldering 30 wires and making your own cable, you could do it. I dont think one has been made, and this would be a great accessorie IMO.
But where can I find the female connectors? Without them I cannot make a DIY cable.

chrisfgee

Website
home.earthlink.net
I was looking for something similar and finally found an adapter (mac warehouse I think) that went on the end of a standard firewire cable BUT the computer (XP) did not see the IPOD. I was told that firewire has a limit on the cable length.

CryingWolf

Have iPod will Cruise
schwarztech said:
What if you bought a dock and took it apart?
You would still need the female connector. I agree this would be a god send and I am mildly surprised that no one has done this yet? Could make someone a few bucks.

bsquare

Has anyone got an update on the availability of any sort of Dock Extension cable? Or at the least someplace to purchase female dock connectors so we could build one?

davidmbell

The female ends can be bought here :

http://home.swipnet.se/ridax/connector.htm

I found this while also on the hunt for the very same extension cable you are after. Can't believe noone makes this already : (

If you find one anywhere, or can make more than one and sell me it, then let me know!

David

Last edited:

Natalia.

I take it there has been no update to their progress on making such a cable?

stephen70

Ipod connector wire

Does any company make an ipod male connector wire having all 30 wires? I could solder the wire directly to my docking station if one was available.

mikusa

mjkrooker said:
I made a dock extender and did a little write-up:

Edited

It is not necessary to connect all 30 pins in many cases. Even if you need audio, video, controls, Firewire power, Firewire data, USB power, and USB data you don't have to connect all pins. There are spacer pins not used for anything.
Sendstation.com claimed about 6 months ago that they had one in the works. I'm sick of waiting. mjkrooker, how do I order one?

Last edited by a moderator:

mikusa

Sorry for the delay, you did not miss it. The DockExtender is in
massproduction and will definitly be launched in March.

But it is not a cable. It's rather a thumb-sized extension piece. The
reason for that is that a cable would require 30 leads, whereas
certain leads have to be shielded from others to avoid interference.
As a result, the cable would be ridiculously thick.

The main purpose of the Dock Extender is to avoid case removal.

Best regards,
Petra Borchard

----------------------------------------------------------
SendStation Systems
Berger Str. 102
60316 Frankfurt/Main email [email protected]
[Germany] Web www.sendstation.com
Well, there you have it.