Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Windows Podcasting Software Notes

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 02-14-2005, 11:45 AM

Windows Podcasting Software Notes

There are several applications available to receive Podcasts on Windows, most of which can be downloaded from www.ipodder.org.

Post your thoughts and reviews on the various Windows Podcasting applications in this thread.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 02-14-2005, 11:49 AM

Doppler

To get us started:

I've tried several Podcasting applications, and the one that I've finally settled on is Doppler v2.0, from www.dopplerradio.net

This is a freeware application that will download Podcasts, and has a very rich feature set.

Some of the specific features that I like about Doppler are:
  • The ability to re-write/customize the tag information (artist, album, and genre) on each Podcast feed -- this really helps for creating Smart Playlists
  • The ability to automatically convert your Podcasts to bookmarking M4B files, so that your playback position is retained and synchronized with iTunes
  • The ability to automatically cleanup your old Podcasts, including a nice feature that cleans up based on rating, so you can simply flag Podcasts you want deleted by giving them a one-star rating
  • A "Catch-up All Feeds" feature, which will prevent you from having to listen to a large backlog of Podcasts if you go on vacation or are otherwise away from your computer for a while

Old 02-20-2005, 02:43 PM

Freshman Lounger

bookmarking

i tryied to get the bookmarks to work...but, there not working, could you elaborate on this please.
Old 02-20-2005, 03:24 PM

The bookmarking tutorials are here.

The tutorials are step-by-step and any help you need or questions answered post in that forum and they will help you.

Last edited by honeybee1236; 02-20-2005 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:38 AM

Mac Switcher Wanna-Be

Re: Windows Podcasting Software Notes

When I first heard about podcasting, I came across iPodder as I am sure that people people do. I used it for a little while before I found a java application called jPodder. It was pretty good, but then I found Doppler and I have pretty much stayed with it.

I like the option to convert MP3 on the fly to the AAC format.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:11 AM

Freshman Lounger

I was a devout user of Doppler, but with the release of iPodder 2.0, it pretty much sets the benchmark. Probably the greates feature is the inclusion of the PodcastAlley Top 10/Top 50/10 newest directories.

Also, the ability to "clean up" old shows really saves space on the harddrive...

Forum Policy - No Soliciting members or advertising of other forums, blogs or websites.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:18 PM

Freshman Lounger

I have iPodder.net and I'm just wondering how to delete feeds.

Anyone know how?
Old 03-25-2005, 12:00 AM

Mac Switcher Wanna-Be

Quote:
Originally posted by InsomniaRadio
I was a devout user of Doppler, but with the release of iPodder 2.0, it pretty much sets the benchmark. Probably the greates feature is the inclusion of the PodcastAlley Top 10/Top 50/10 newest directories.

Also, the ability to "clean up" old shows really saves space on the harddrive...
Like jhollington, I use Doppler. The thing that I like about it, which you cannot do with iPodder 2.0, is to be able to change the playlist name that it inserts the feed file into when it stuffs it into iTunes.

For example, instead of ".Net Rocks! AAC Bookmarkable format" in iTunes, I have "DotNet Rocks!".

One thing that I forgot to mention is that I still use iPodder 2.0 on four different feeds which Doppler will not pull down, because the RSS feed files are not valid. Doppler only loads "valid" feed resource files which can be checked at http://feedvalidator.org

Kerry Sanders
iPod Mini | 6 gig | silver | personalized
Forum Policy - No Soliciting members or advertising of other forums, blogs or websites.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:32 AM

Junior Lounger

But I think the question way back at the top was how do you get Doppler to make bookmarkable files on the fly, which is a feature listed in jhollington's post. Can this be done? We know that bookmarkable files can be made in the usual way, but will Doppler do this for you... I doubt it.

Steven
Old 11-24-2005, 12:39 AM

Junior Lounger

Oops... Spoke too soon. You can do this on the fly... Very cool. Just go into Options->Filetype, click on, say mp3, click on edit selection, and check convert to .m4b format. Done!

Steven
Old 11-24-2005, 12:41 AM

Junior Lounger

How to get Postcasts to appear in Podcast list?

My big question is how on earth do you get your podcasts to appear in the Podcast list????

Steven
Old 01-10-2006, 12:09 PM

Freshman Lounger

Same here. I want to know how to make pod casts appear under the podcast menu as well with out using iTunes.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:54 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhollington
To get us started:

I've tried several Podcasting applications, and the one that I've finally settled on is Doppler v2.0, from www.dopplerradio.net

This is a freeware application that will download Podcasts, and has a very rich feature set.

Some of the specific features that I like about Doppler are:
  • The ability to re-write/customize the tag information (artist, album, and genre) on each Podcast feed -- this really helps for creating Smart Playlists
  • The ability to automatically convert your Podcasts to bookmarking M4B files, so that your playback position is retained and synchronized with iTunes
  • The ability to automatically cleanup your old Podcasts, including a nice feature that cleans up based on rating, so you can simply flag Podcasts you want deleted by giving them a one-star rating
  • A "Catch-up All Feeds" feature, which will prevent you from having to listen to a large backlog of Podcasts if you go on vacation or are otherwise away from your computer for a while
Can I use this to automatically update my iPod w/o iTunes? iTunes doesn't import all my music, so I'm using EphPod.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:07 PM

Pro Lounger

Ok I no little about podcasts but this is what I want; podcasts that act just like any MP3. Something I can shuffle or add to a playlist.

When I subscribe to a Podcast with iTunes the file on my iPod is not treated like a MP3 but it is an audio file?? If I like the Podcast I can not add it to my library like I can any other MP3.

So if I go to www.dopplerradio.net podcasts are then treated like a MP3?
Old 09-07-2009, 01:01 AM

Freshman Lounger

Windows Podcasting Software Notes

Hello all

Thanks for this helpful post, got me up and running with my new Windows 7 build 2600

My 2496 works fine with windows but will not work with Cubase 5 - the SPDIF outs are active and work but all other outs and ins show up as inactive

Any ideas??

Topic: Windows Podcasting Software Notes

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.