Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Podcast won't update

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 05-23-2013, 08:37 AM

Junior Lounger

Location: Starts with a C, ends with an O, and in the middle is "hicag"
Podcast won't update

So...I subscribe to a small handful (i.e. five or six) podcasts, and one of them hasn't updated in two months. I've been in touch with the guys who do the podcast, and they've tried tweaking their settings to no avail, and it's apparent that I'm the only iTunes user among their listeners that's having the problem.

I can download new episodes manually.

I get no error messages or icons or anything.

In the iTunes store, I can't toggle between "Subscribe" and "Unsubscribe" -- the button is not grayed out, but it stays at "Subscribe."

In my own iTunes directory, the button does toggle between "Subscribe" and "Unsubscribe," but unsubscribing and resubscribing doesn't help.

I tried the "rename-the-iTunes-library" trick, but even with a fresh library it wouldn't work.

I even tried a blank, never-been-touched hard drive. Nope, still can't get new episodes.

I deleted all previous podcast episodes and even the podcast's folder on the hard drive. Nope, didn't help.

And I can't get the "Column Browser" on my iPod Classic. (Yeah, I know, that's irrelevant, but I'm VERY ####ed that Apple disabled that for the Classic.)

FWIW, the podcast is based from Podbean, which as far as I know is pretty standard in regard to how it communicates with iTunes. No other podcast gives me this problem...FWIW, the URL is:

http://beatlesexaminer.podbean.com/feed/

Thoughts???

Last edited by dauber; 05-23-2013 at 08:42 AM.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:43 PM

Veteran Lounger

Have you checked the podcast settings for that podcast? You would think deleting and re-subscribing would reset it to the default settings however it may not.

64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac
Old 05-24-2013, 12:02 AM

Junior Lounger

Nothing unusual about the settings.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:39 PM

There is a problem with their feed.

I am getting an unknown error 302.

Looking at a working feed, there is a difference.
A working feed would be http://web-address-example.ext/rss.xml
Your feed does not have the rss.xml file there and gives a 404 error (not found) if you try to access it.

My guess is that there may be issues with the PHP code where the feed is.

Until they fix it, it looks like you are using a browser.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....

Last edited by cjmnews; 05-25-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:27 AM

Junior Lounger

Just curious as to how you checked that....feedvalidator.org and allpodcasts.com say it's a valid feed...
Old 05-28-2013, 09:18 AM

I subscribed to it with iTunes. Then compared it to successful podcast feeds, and compared to my home grown feed that I used to use to obtain a "podcast" that did not have a feed.

It is a valid feed from an RSS point of view, but from the iTunes point of view, they are missing something, I can't tell exactly what, but they have missed the iTunes boat.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....

Topic: Podcast won't update

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.