Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: How to delete old mp3 files of podcast from iPod?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 04-13-2007, 06:52 AM

Freshman Lounger

(Resolved)How to delete old mp3 files of podcast from iPod?

How to delete old mp3 files of podcast from iPod? I found that I am not able to delete the mp3 files of podcast from iTunes datebase. It means the mp3 files will become more and more day by day and I'm not able to delete them.
How can I deal with this problem?
Thanks! :-)

Last edited by fenglu; 04-16-2007 at 06:55 PM.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 04-13-2007, 08:15 AM

If your auto sync'ing then make sure 'only sync checked items' is checked on the summary tab while the iPod is connected to iTunes and resync the iPod.

If your updating the iPod on manual then just delete them and empty the trash before you disconnect the iPod.

If you have removed the files but space is still being used then put the iPod in disk mode and go to 'my computer', open the iPod and delete the .trash ghost files on the HD and this will free up the space.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:24 PM

Freshman Lounger

I auto sync my iPod with iTunes, so I can uncheck the podcast file which I don't want to sync to my iPod. But there still is a problem. How can I delete the podcast mp3 file from iTunes datebase? I can delete the podcast mp3 file with Windows file explorer, but I am not able to delete it from iTunes datebase.

Thanks!
Maybe Apple company didn't notice the problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee1236
If your ...
Old 04-15-2007, 08:41 PM

Veteran Lounger

Right click the podcast episode in iTunes and select Delete. Alternatively set iTunes Podcast preferences to only keep unplayed episodes. iTunes will delete them when you update the podcasts providing they have been played all the way through to increase the playcount to 1.

64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac
Old 04-16-2007, 09:18 AM

Freshman Lounger

I did so, but it is no use. No matter I set "Keep all unplayed episodes" or "Last 2 episodes", the old mp3 files won't be deleted from both iTunes and iPod.

When I choose "keep all unplayed episodes", I try to make all podcast as read, but they still exist in both iTunes and iPod. When I choose "keep last 2 episodes", there're more than 2 episodes exist in both iTunes and iPod, and it seems that it still grows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkee
Right click the podcast episode in iTunes and select Delete. Alternatively set iTunes Podcast preferences to only keep unplayed episodes. iTunes will delete them when you update the podcasts providing they have been played all the way through to increase the playcount to 1.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:15 PM

Veteran Lounger

Are these podcasts downloaded with iTunes?

Can you delete them by right clicking them and choosing Delete?

Does it happen to all or only one Podcast?

You may need to try re-installing iTunes.

64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac
Old 04-16-2007, 04:56 PM

Freshman Lounger

Not all the podcasts are downloaded with iTunes store, but all of them are not able to be deleted by right clicking them and choosing delete.

By the way, I select auto syncing iPod with iTunes, not update iPod manually.

Quote:
Are these podcasts downloaded with iTunes?

Can you delete them by right clicking them and choosing Delete?

Does it happen to all or only one Podcast?

You may need to try re-installing iTunes.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:06 PM

Veteran Lounger

Will iTunes allow you to delete a song? I suggest making a copy of a song, add it to iTunes and delete it. If you can't manually delete the files by right clicking on them in iTunes I would try re-installing iTunes.

How are you adding the other podcasts to iTunes? A third party podcatcher may have broke iTunes if it is set to add files to iTunes. Try uninstalling any third party software that "plugs" into iTunes before you re-install iTunes.

Only the files downloaded with iTunes will be recognize as podcasts for any of the Podcasts auto sync features to work. If you can't find them in iTunes store you can add them by copying the RSS feed URL into the Advanced/Subscribe to Podcast menu.

Old 04-16-2007, 06:46 PM

Freshman Lounger

There is no problem with delete any song.
I added the third part podcasts by copying the RSS feed URL into the Advanced/Subscribe to Podcast menu.
I installed a software which is related with iPod called iPod Agent. I think I should reinstall this software to see if it can be helpful.

Quote:
Will iTunes allow you to delete a song? I suggest making a copy of a song, add it to iTunes and delete it.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:55 PM

Freshman Lounger

I suscess deleteing the podcast files. I uninstalled the iPod Agent, but I think it's not his problem. Perhaps it is just because I didn't know that I could open the podcast "folder" by clicking the triangle beside the podcast and delete the "podcast files" under it.

Topic: How to delete old mp3 files of podcast from iPod?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.