Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Speed up Podcast playback in Itunes?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 01-17-2006, 04:06 PM

Freshman Lounger

Speed up Podcast playback in Itunes?

Is there away to set the play back speed of a podcast in Itunes? Kind of like a play 2X button? I would like to listen a bit faster so I can listen to even more podcasts .

Thanks in a advance.
E

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 10-29-2006, 09:33 PM

Freshman Lounger

Most podcasts are MP3 files. In iTunes convert the file to an AAC file (with an extension of m4a.) Change the extension to m4b and the file becomes an audiobook which can be played faster.

I use doppler to download and automatically convert some of the longer podcasts. Problem is that if the podcast is not downloaded by iTunes, IT won't put it in the Podcast folder on the iPod or in iTunes. You can still file it in genre podcasts or in a doppler playlist.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:24 AM

Veteran Lounger

I'm not sure if this work with Windows, but on a Mac, if your listening on the computer you can speed up the play back if you use QuickTime. Right click the file in iTunes and choose "Show In Finder" (Explorer in Windows), then right click the file and open with QuickTime. Under the Window menu select A/V Controls and there you'll find a Playback Speed control.

Unfortunately this only works when you listen to the podcast on your computer. It would be a great option on the iPod for listening to podcasts. Send Apple a note at the iPod Feedback form.

64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac
Old 10-30-2006, 01:47 AM

Pro Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerlin
Is there away to set the play back speed of a podcast in Itunes? Kind of like a play 2X button? I would like to listen a bit faster so I can listen to even more podcasts .

Thanks in a advance.
E
Try looking at the bottomost post in this article called Listen to podcasts at 1.5x speed. I'm assuming that both of you are on PCs, so the various AppleScript solutions in this Mac OS X hints article wont work, but you may be able to use the last Windows Script solution, courtesy of someone who wanted to move the capability over to his iTunes XP library, if you download Windows Script 5.6 for XP and W2K (or whatever the current version is), or if you already have JScript and VBScript support on your machines. (You'll probably need to download the security updates for the Script support as well). I haven't tried this myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxwing
I use doppler to download and automatically convert some of the longer podcasts. Problem is that if the podcast is not downloaded by iTunes, IT won't put it in the Podcast folder on the iPod or in iTunes.
Mac users can use the Re-Add as Podcast AppleScript, which uses the fact that your Mac is set up to host a built-in web server to add the files back into iTunes as though they were downloaded from an external RSS feed. I don't know of a simple way to do this under Windows, although I've read in the Podcasts in Library and the Importing Podcast Episodes Manually Downloaded threads in the Apple Discussion Forums that some podcast atom fields are accessible as unsupported tags of certain mp3 tag editors.

Last edited by moriond; 10-30-2006 at 01:54 AM.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:03 PM

Freshman Lounger

For speeding up video/audio on mac or pc, I would suggest using VLC player.
url = videolan dot org

If you want to adjust playback speed on your iPhone or iPad, I would suggest Swift Player. It lets you change speed even directly from websites like YouTube.

url = tapparatus dot com slash swift

Topic: Speed up Podcast playback in Itunes?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.