Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Deleting Podcasts

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 09-09-2005, 02:48 PM

Freshman Lounger

Deleting Podcasts

I have V5 of iTunes loaded, so I don't know if this was a problem with the earlier version.

I can subscribe to podcasts and sync them to my iPod without problems. The problem I have is deleting them from the iPod and leaving the podcasts on my laptop computer. Usually I can use the checkbox beside the title to determine whether the song is on the iPod but the checkbox doesn't seem to have any effect on podcasts. I find that I need to delete them forever before they will be deleted from my iPod. Anyone else having this problem?

In other words, the checkbox doesn't seem to have any effect on podcasts but still works on songs.

Gary

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 09-09-2005, 04:29 PM

On my iPod the podcast that are unchecked are not on it and I have saved podcast and ones that I don't keep. Most of my saved podcasts are not checked.

Try resetting the iPod and then try it. If it doesn't work then maybe you need to consider doing a restore. This will erase the iPod contents and set it back to factory settings so back up your library.

Also double check the podcast settings while the ipod is connected.

Last edited by honeybee1236; 09-09-2005 at 04:35 PM.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:42 AM

Freshman Lounger

Deleting Podcasts

I found a solution to the problem I was having with iTunes not recognizing the checkbox used to determine if a podcast is to be copied to your iPod. I didn’t look deeply enough into the Podcasts tab under Preferences. If you select the Podcasts tab then click on the iPod Preferences button, there is a selection called “Update:” and there you can pick “Only Checked episodes”.

I didn’t look for a second checkbox selection option for podcasts because under the iPod/Music tab I had already checked “Only update checked songs”. Perhaps for the next release I guess it is a good idea to have two different options for music v. podcasts but I’m not sure I would ever set these differently. Perhaps Apple will combine them into one for the next release.

Gary
Old 09-16-2005, 08:11 AM

Junior Lounger

You are a genius! I couldn't work out how to delete unwanted Podcasts from my Pod, but the above works.

Cheers!
Old 09-20-2005, 08:48 PM

Freshman Lounger

Well to prevent podcasts from showing up into your library, all you have to do is go to Edit > Show Search Bar. On the bar that appears click music. Podcasts will be hidden.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:19 AM

Former First Lounger

As it stands, there is little functionality in the podcast menu/preferences. You can chose to update(to iPod) unplayed, or unchecked podcasts; why not both?

I think they should improve the versatility of the podcasts, or I'm going to switch to smartplaylists for all of my podcasts. I want the ability to update (to iPod) based on a variety of multiple factors, and do this based on each individual podcast. For example, I only want to listen to the most recent NPR news summary, but maybe someone else may want to make sure they don't miss anything and they may select to listen to the past few days, as long as they have not been heard/played already. Another podcast, The Seanachai (excellent stories that I'd highly recommend), I may want to keep all of the stories, or just use the check box to decide which ones to keep.

It is somewhat nice to have a since heading in iTunes in which to find podcasts; I simply find it frustrating to have very limited functionality.

Grado SR 80.... CMOY amp - The BEST
Etymotic ER4P(foam).... CMOY amp - better
Etymotic ER6 (foam)........ good
Sony EX71........ okay, but muddy

Topic: Deleting Podcasts

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.